Just a question about trimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know someone that has a trimming machine, but it has to be for your own consumption, since it leaves a lot of extraneous material on the bud. I wouldn't want to get that from a dispensary, I'm not paying that price for leaves.

what comes after trimming...? HMMM. a little more tlc some drying and curing and then what??? I am male and I like the trimming.:D

The first hour is always awesome. Anything after that is work. And if you are by yourself, it's hard work. It seems to me that having at least one person there that you like to talk to makes a world of difference. Music, tv and snacks seem to help. I won't dry trim for anybody. I have done outdoor grows periodically all my life and always seem to find something to be excited about during harvest:D I trim the best bud first then it is all down hill from there.:p I am looking forward to my own indoor harvests and can see how perpetual harvest trimming could get old quick. And getting high during trimming for me is a major downer. I would rather be doing anything else.

I wonder if anyone else takes the time to trim as I do:

I don't use scissors. I pull each and every leaf by hand. It's not difficult once you get the hang of it. You grasp the leaf with your index finger and thumb. Then you gently pull it out and towards the base of the plant, which is *up* when you have the plant hanging upside down. I've discovered that this is the easist way to do it. When done as soon as it's cut down, the leaves all make a small *snap* and come free from the stem. You get the ENTIRE leaf. Not just part of it.

It makes the smoke smoother, much less harsh and you end up with high grade leaf for oil. Plus you can *friction* the built up hash from your two fingers and you end up with a nice little chunk.

I harvest a pound each time and do the entire pound that way. The first year I did it, I kept one branch that I cut the leaves from and cured it separately. The smoke from it tasted worse, was harsh as hell when compared to the *pulled* smoke, and didn't burn as evenly.

It takes about 30 minutes to gain proficiency at pulling the leaf.

I do something similar POTUS. I too pull off all the big fan leaves. And yes, you have to be sure to pull the entire leaf from the stalk, leaving no partial leaf stem. Don't use scissors for fan leaves, just by hand.

From there it goes to the "trimming crew". Once I "J-Hook" and deleaf a branch, it then gets passed to helpers who tight trim it from there.
Then it gets hung on coat hangers and placed back in the room to slow dry for however long it takes. Usually a week. Then I come back and take it off the stick, and it is ready to go.

Now, that is just trimming, imo, not CURING.

I trim very similar to POTUS and NorCalHal. I snap off every single bit of leaf material that I can at its base. I use bonsai scissors to get into the bud to cut the stems in those places my fingers don't want to go.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I use bonsai scissors to get into the bud to cut the stems in those places my fingers don't want to go.

Good point THG. If you just cut the leaf material around the bud, and not get the leaf at the stem, this is what is called "a Crows foot". Makes your herb taste bad and looks like poo poo.

I am a leaf plucker too. I pluck them before I cut them. Then after I cut them I trim them up and hang. I try to stay away from leafy strains. I grow a perpetual harvest so I can spread out harvest to one plant a day or more depending on how lazy I feel. I grow a variety of strains with flowering times of 7 to13 weeks.

Latest posts

Back