Just bought 2 clones, they came with leaves like this:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anarchy2465

Reaction score
the individual leaves on one or two of the 'flowers' are cut off about half way through like so on the picture below. first of all, im curious why they did this? (as i bought the clones like this) and second of all, what do i do with this portion of the plant? the edges have started to brown, so it makes me think this branch is dying. is there anyone way to save this branch? or do i just tear it off?

EDIT: I've also noticed a brown spot on one of the leaves (2nd picture below), these spots are also appearing on new leaves that are coming in, before they've even fully shaped. The new leaves curl and are somewhat discolored, whats the cause of this? Better yet, what's the solution?

phpBLlNZDPM.jpg

phpthTyb3PM.jpg

i've seen several people do that to clones while they try to root. its someting to do with the plant trying to feed the leaf or something like that.. and its normal for it to turn brown like that when its broken or cut. i wouldn't break it off if it dies let it fall off on its own.. hope this helps good luck

My understanding is that it allows the plant to put more energy into growing roots if there is less leaf material for the plant to support. I have cloned both ways and really never noticed any difference between ones that I cut the leaves in half and the ones I didn't. I think the most important thing is to keep the plant hydrated. Do you have a dome over your clones?

all the clones i have seen/taken have the larger leaves snipped as hick said to prevent too much water loss.. i thought it was a standard thing to do??

I do that too all my clones (snip the tips). I often get the brown spots too, but when I transplant into my big containers and give them a little time, they usually end up beautiful. Don't worry to much man, I'm sure all will be well.

Even tho I have no luck with the whole cloning thing...I too take about half of any larger leaves to give them an assist in the process...now, as to your second question about the brown spots on the new leaves...I think it would be a good idea if you were to dip those newbees in a solution of neem oil...sounds like a possible spider mite infestation in the making...I never put clones into my veg room without treating them first...

Peace...j.b.

I think that you've got it right... Plants must have roots to survive... but first instinct is to put energy into growing if the leaves are too large.

people do this to reduce the amount of plant matter left on the plants so the plant doesn't have a serius amount of stored food in it's leaves to live off of as you want them to search for food and water. A plant does that by putting out roots.

Minor deficiencies can be expected with clones, and i wouldn't be PULLING off any of your branches. The only way you can tell what a plant needs is by the it's leaves. If you go pulling em off due to them not being healthy you won't be able to diagnose the problem .

I wouldn't worry about minor spots in a clones early life. The root systems are really small and tend to not be able to keep the clones sufficiently fed. Foliar feeding with a LIGHT mixture of Grow nutrients at 1/4 strength should be enough to keep em happy. however i wouldn't go feeding your plants anything, unless the problem begins to spread quickly .

clones are delicate and are affected easily by nutrient/ph/ environmental fluxuations.you are worrying over something minor. Until it begins to affect the whole plant it isn't a problem.

Don't worry the clones will be fine. Leave em alone and let em grow.

Latest posts

Back