lady bug question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

me myyself and I

The One Hitter Critter
Reaction score
hi there. I had a minor mite problem, but it looks like they seem to be gone. I hear lady bugs can keep them gone? what about if there are no bugs to eat? will they munch on my babies? heheh. can they do any damage to my plants, in veg or when in full flower? any info would be very appriciated. I would like to thank everyone for the past info. I love this site. keep up the great work ppl!

once their food source is gone, they die.
they wont turn vegetarian ;)

Ladybugs should keep pests away with no problem but without food they may start eating each other.Only one type of ladybug eats plants but it's not the common ladybug you see flying around so your kids should be just fine.

Praying mantis are great also, but same issue...once the food supply is gone they will die if they do not get out to get more.

No, Ladybugs won't eat your MJ plants.

Here's some pics and a little information about them:

Lady Bugs (Hippodainia convergens) The Lady Bug is the most widely recognized of all Beneficial Insects. The Lady Bug, actually a beetle, is known mostly for aphid control but also feeds on chinch bugs, asparagus beetle larvae, thrips, Colorado potato beetle, whitefly & mites. The Lady Bug is effective in gardens and greenhouses and will attack pests in both it's larvae and adult stages. Ladybugs will consume over 1,000 aphids in it's lifetime. Available year round Lady Bugs are shipped as adults and can be stored for several weeks in the refrigerator. 1500 is enough for an average garden, 1 gallon will cover an acre depending on the level of infestation.

These rotund little beetles are harmless to plants but voracious eaters of soft-bodied insects such as aphids, scale insects and mealybugs. Often gardeners release them as a natural biological control for insect pests. Wing covers of most ladybug species are covered with characteristic color patterns. Ladybugs live longer than one year and in the fall they gather in protected places to hibernate. Sometimes they make their way into homes, annoying homeowners, but unlike cockroaches that eat and make messes, ladybugs sleep and live off their own stored body fat. Almost 500 species live in a variety of habitats in North America.

Check out the picture of some aphids munching on some Dortmund climbers. (Look at those two little greenish critters on the red leaf on the left side of the picture.) But look at that ladybug working her way towards them. Watching her, I see she moves very quickly in apparent random directions. But when she finds an aphid, it stops her in her tracks as she enjoys the feast. They can eat 50 to 60 aphids per day.

LadybugMicroImage2.jpg

LadybugMicroImage3.jpg

LadybugMicroImage4.jpg

Ladybug MicroImage.jpg

Latest posts

Back