largest tomato competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I am concerned Mel

come on in..................................................

what you got growin???????????

should we be worried????????

I've already hinted that I may resort too using excuses

LOL, I have a few excuses written down on punch cards and ready to use. Hey Melissa, grow on!!

I actually went down to a garden center on the weekend after trying some really nice Juicy Fruit herb. Anyways, I picked up 3 diff types of tomatoes, I forget the names, but they are on the container still. I also got some watermelon and some green pepper plants. They are tiny and were $1.50. So far i've just put them in the kitchen window and had the window open durring the day (has been really nice sunny days but still to early here to put them outside)

I'll enter this, I'm sure I won't endup with the biggest/nicest tomato, but I'm sure I'll learn alot about growing in the process.

CANABIAN said:
I'll enter this, I'm sure I won't endup with the biggest/nicest tomato, but I'm sure I'll learn alot about growing in the process.

You never know, but I am sure you will have a great time in the process. I know I will. :farm:

I'm not even thinking about joining in on this one LOL I am starting a garden but its my first garden ever so I am quite nervous LOL but I am gonna keep eye on yalls to compare to mine. All this is new to me and I have never really had a green thumb per se but I am learning a lot...
Thanks!

Biggest tomatoe huh.

I only planted cherries and grapes this year... :cry:

I was going to do heirlooms and romas as well, but never got around to it.:eek:

Anyway. If you all dont mind, I will hang around and watch.:D

thanks guys for letting me in :D you certainly have nothing to worry about shes tiny compared to your lot ,,,but u never no she might just take off :giggle: any way here she is 3 weeks old ,,shes a gardeners delight and 10 inches tall 14 in the pot and getting ready to go out side :hubba:
100_2407.JPG
100_2408.JPG

good luck ev1

hey bella come on in now u have seen how small mine is :giggle:

melissa said:
thanks guys for letting me in :D you certainly have nothing to worry about shes tiny compared to your lot ,,,but u never no she might just take off :giggle: any way here she is 3 weeks old ,,shes a gardeners delight and 10 inches tall 14 in the pot and getting ready to go out side :hubba:

hey melissa
hate to break this to ya
gardeners delight is a cherry tomatoe :rolleyes:

but on the upside, very tasty ;)

billy_fyshe said:
hey melissa
hate to break this to ya
gardeners delight is a cherry tomatoe :rolleyes:

but on the upside, very tasty ;)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
oh well it wont be getting to big then :giggle:

the plant will as its a vine rather than a bush
but the toms will only be small
maybe you should start a tastiest tom comp ;)

erm let me think ?????? no dont know :rofl:
i like the look of them ,very cool for them precious weeds we all like to preserve :giggle:

Ever look at some of your larger tomatoes and wonder if they’d be in the running for the Guinness Book of World Records?

Well unless they’re over 7 pounds, 12 ounces—yes folks, that’s a good-sized newborn baby—you’re out of luck.

Gordon Graham of Edmond, Oklahoma, holds the honour of growing the world’s largest tomato, which he harvested from his backyard greenhouse back in 1986.

Graham grew it on the theory that if he kept letting the plant get bigger, it’d be strong enough to hold, you guessed it, a big tomato.

And the theory paid off, although not before a storm blew over the entire 12-14 foot vine into his cantaloupes. He gave up on the tomato plant, but the future world’s largest tomato had other ideas and just kept growing on its own until one day, it came time to free it from the vine.

In fact, the entire plant became record-setting when it grew to 53 feet and 6 inches, the longest tomato vine ever grown.

Graham was honoured for his efforts by Miracle-Gro, who presented him with an identical in size, weight, and shape epoxy replica of his perishable feat; he jokes that it’s great fun travelling through airports with it, as it never ceases to confound personnel.

Not surprisingly, he also became the man to beat in Miracle-Gro’s $100,000 tomato-growing contest, but the closest competitors didn’t even come within a pound of Graham’s formidable fruit; the contest has since been discontinued, so now your only hope is to leap right into the hallowed halls of Guinness.

Best of luck!

originally posted at

hxxp://www.tomatocasual.com/2007/09/05/world%E2%80%99s-largest-tomato/

change the xx for tt

Sorry Friends I have been real busy as of late...Kids all most out of school:yay: and heading to Aunties and or Grandpas.:) ..I also did not know how my plant would take to the move outside..I planted her with my GIANT pumkins so you guys/gals can whatch them both:hubba: ..Also tilled up larger garden for my peppers,onions,corn, and what ever comes along;)..I also have a special place for My Favorite plant The "HERB":rofl: ...check back later

PS...I think pictures of the plant along the grow here is needed for compitition..IMO..

Looking great 4u2smoke!! I put 24 "Big Boy's" in for my sauce tomatoes lastnight and also 4 Heirloom Brandywine's for my slicers (yuuuummmmyyyy.) I think we are pretty safe on frost's up here now. My neighbor jumped the gun and her tomato plants had 3 pretty heavy frost's this week and seemed to be doing just fine. In a couple weeks I will find a home for my herb as well. I will get some pic's up shortly of the gardens; probably just individual plants because my garden can be seen right from the road.

Latest posts

Back