Leaf Trimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QBCrocket

Reaction score
Hi Guys I was shown some nice outdoor plants yesterday ,the guy growing them is a seasoned grower , Plants where in second stage bud and he had trimmed all the top half shade leaves off - His theory was the buds below get more sun - I always thought they needed the leaf to feed -does anybody else do this and would it work under lights .

I've heard from a couple of master growers, in flower defoliate at week 5. I have a bug (Mites) problem on my plants in veg. Its easier to kill the bugs if you can get a good spray, so... I lost my mind and did this all in one day, I picked them baldheaded and you can see very unhappy. They say to only take 2/3 of the foliage at a time. Today they look much better, I'll spray tomorrow. kill Kill KILL, death from above! lol

I've tried both from the bottom up and the top down, I didn't see any difference.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I've always removed crowding leaves or large ones up high. When I grow outdoors I usually only remove one that sit right over a bud site or areas that are crowded to get more air flow. Outdoor I think it makes less of an impact due to the sun moving across the sky, but in a room the light never moves so shadows do effect some spots.

I always remove leaves slowly, (outdoors) usually from the bottom up as they get further into bud, so when my plants are ready to harvest my trimming is well along it's way.
To get light to the inner reaches I make a fence around the plant and put the branches through on different levels to both open the plant and support the bud as it gets fatter.
I know this doesn't really answer your question but if you can tie the branches down and support them at the same time you can leave the sun leaves but at some point they go from sun leaves to shade leaves.

there was a guy on here named kraven who grew works of art and was a big proponent of defoliating. i tried it on a couple of grows and i think it was helpful but i never got buds like he does. however, i grow on a budget and always screw something up. in the following thread, he kinda coaches me on defoliation.

https://www.marijuanapassion.com/threads/old-fogeys-first-ever-legal-grow-journal.74343/page-7

a lot of folks are very against it. i missed my opportunity this grow but will be pinching off some leaves during the remainder of my current grow to allow light to lower buds.

I try not to remove any healthy large Fan (solar) leaves they are what feed the plant, I always try to tuck the larger ones back into plant out of the way
I do remove them as they yellow or there are some many dooming over the top of plant,
I never remove all at once, if one were to do so the plant will be slowed down on growing process and possibly reduce the yield
I believe Brother Stabby did this due to a severe mite problem
Could be wrong

the plants do recover remarkably well. someday maybe i will try a side by side comparison(probably not because i can't remember what day it is most of the time so remembering to do an experiment is pretty dicey). i am into my 5th week of flower on my current grow and the plants are happy so i will just pick off leaves here and there and also do some tucking like stiggy(and buffalo bill(weird silence of the lambs reference for some reason))...

the plants do recover remarkably well. someday maybe i will try a side by side comparison(probably not because i can't remember what day it is most of the time so remembering to do an experiment is pretty dicey). i am into my 5th week of flower on my current grow and the plants are happy so i will just pick off leaves here and there and also do some tucking like stiggy(and buffalo bill(weird silence of the lambs reference for some reason))...
LOL
Morning
51U2oPwJc2L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Man Hunter was one of my Favs

I really cannot see how removing healthy fan leaves (where the bulk of the photosynthesis takes place) can be beneficial. There is not much photosynthesis that takes place in the buds (photosynthesis only takes place in the green part of the plant) and therefore they really don't need much sun. I personally have found that my outdoor plants that have great foliage also ends up with best flowers.

Latest posts

Back