leds to add to hps worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me put it another way....if one of you came and asked the same question and I jumped in and said no and that's final....would you be OK with that and not ask how that info is known?

Roddy said:
I posted before and I'll post again, a guy in town has bought several of these and is in the process of doing a side by side test...we will know more soon and it'll all be on time lapse. Maybe it is here, maybe it isn't...that's yet to be told and how will we know until we test? This is why I asked has anyone tried these personally? Or can you direct me to written summations from someone who has. You guys are both telling me it's not there, but how do you know?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just want to know, hear it from someone who has tried.

And to the OP, I am sorry if I hijacked this thread from your intent, I am thinking you'd like to know too, though?

I haven't tried cause they will, at least not yet, come close to a HID. Believe me, I have seen many try and in person myself, not even close. I got the coin to drop if they were dominant. But alas, HID for the win.

If its proven, and published. Yes I would believe you. ( i would probably ask for results too)but, I am not going to go looking for results again on google again.
Roddy said:
Regardless if you have an application for these or not, I am betting others DO, my friend, and some of us here are trying to decide if we are of those that do. This is new and developing tech, I don't think you can judge these new lights against lights that came out even a few months or so ago...just like the computer, new tech advances fast.
LEDs do not have computers in them:rolleyes:

It is in no way a new technology (Holonyak, 1962). It has not improved much since its introduction.

If you want results in your hand so you can see proof, then I am sorry you need to do some testing or googling.

I am a scientist at heart and I am not going to spoon feed you your science. Nor am i going to waste my money or time to repeat concluded results.

Buy a LED, Buy a Lux Meter and let us know what you find. I for sure am not going to waste my money as I trust proven published results. Im sure your results will show the same.

No anger here. Just slight frustration of having to answer this question every few months :p

I'll take that answer as a "NO" then? You have nothing to back your opinion save your opinion?

You keep coming back to the HID, this isn't a question of which light was dominant. I think the OP as well as I have stated we have HID's...

What we are saying is there is BETTER options for supplemental lighting.

Yes, LEDs will grow a plant. But is that also the queston? No.

Im sure most people want to know what will grow plants the biggest, healthiest, and fastest. This means the most amount of lumens per square foot (HID) and the least amount of watt drawn per heat unit added (HID).

So what is the question. Sorry if im stuck on efficiency and output...that is afterall what you are striving for, right?

Roddy listen the bottom line is yes you can grow great herb with LEDs... Its far from the cheapest & most efficient way to light a large space...

IMO you would need $1000+ in LED lighting to have adquate lighting in a 4x4' tent/space... I would almost guarantee the plants grown under the LEDs would have better tric coverage...

or like others have said previously: spend $300-$350 on a 1000 with nice hood to blast even a 5x5' area & have bud thats actually very dense & will proably be double the amount of final product....

It basically comes down to: How much herb do you smoke?

Personally, I want to add lighting to the side of my plants without adding another 400w to my elec bill, or heat to my room. The plants don't "NEED" the extra light, but it would be beneficial IF it wasn't costly to buy and operate. Sure, I could buy a 400w, slide it down in between the plants, be extra careful when moving them around (I have to now with my existing 400w vert set-up), up the air conditioner to cover the added heat...I'm looking at my options.

Not sure how I can do such a comparison.....

captnkush said:
i have a 400watt hps that i love already running on some autoflowers but i plan to scale up a bit and grow fewer plants but larger. anyway i want to add light to the lower side branches as i fear will be shadowed by a tall plant and because i have a narrow closet i've been looking at sunshine systems ledgp45 and or ledgp14. i've been leaning towards these b/c it will mount well and i won't have to worry about the plants touching the leds b/c should be cool to the touch and looks like they would have great cover in my space but are the lights worth buying or not.

sorry a lot of nonsense in there but im stoned and curious, thanks

OP's question is similar, but not sure if heat is an issue or not...sounds like room is?

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
Roddy listen the bottom line is yes you can grow great herb with LEDs... Its far from the cheapest & most efficient way to light a large space...

IMO you would need $1000+ in LED lighting to have adquate lighting in a 4x4' tent/space... I would almost guarantee the plants grown under the LEDs would have better tric coverage...

or like others have said previously: spend $300-$350 on a 1000 with nice hood to blast even a 5x5' area & have bud thats actually very dense & will proably be double the amount of final product....

It basically comes down to: How much herb do you smoke?

I think you're the man they said has experience, COOL!! As stated, already have the main lighting, would I benefit from adding this light, or is this a total waste? Are there pluses to using a magenta budding LED as supplemental lighting? Keeping in mind I already have adequate lighting in place.

Roddy said:
I think you're the man they said has experience, COOL!! As stated, already have the main lighting, would I benefit from adding this light, or is this a total waste? Are there pluses to using a magenta budding LED as supplemental lighting? Keeping in mind I already have adequate lighting in place.

It all depends on how big your space is... If you have a large space I think your best bet would be to add a mh for extra blue...

iF you have a small space with nothing stronger then a 400w hps then i could see a ufo makin alil difference.... but def not the low watt panels... IMO they are only good for seedlings or clones while tiny... and i dont think worth the $... stay away from LEDwholesalers on Ebay...

I am using a 400w MH along with a 100w HPS overhead and a 400w HPS vert-style. The LED I am looking at is about the size of a can of beans, not sure the name or maker though. Room is around a 5'x6'.

If you got 900watts already goin in that space youd need a real serious LED unit to get any sort of noticable improvement IMO... If you want to spend the $ Id up the 100w to a 400w hps then you'll have a major increase in lumens & should be spot on for your space... I think you may be alil underlit ATM...

I wld be more apt to add HO T5 panels down the sides then waste the money on those lil LEDs....you need to spend some serious coin at the moment to get an LED that is not a waste IMO. Seems LEDS have very lil "throw" especially those cheap lil crappy LED panels. JUST my Opinion....

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
If you got 900watts already goin in that space youd need a real serious LED unit to get any sort of noticable improvement IMO... If you want to spend the $ Id up the 100w to a 400w hps then you'll have a major increase in lumens & should be spot on for your space... I think you may be alil underlit ATM...

Think he meant 1000, not 100. Plenty of light for personal grow...........

Hamster Lewis said:
I wld be more apt to add HO T5 panels down the sides then waste the money on those lil LEDs....you need to spend some serious coin at the moment to get an LED that is not a waste IMO. Seems LEDS have very lil "throw" especially those cheap lil crappy LED panels. JUST my Opinion....

Again, we're not talking any "crappy" panels, the light I am talking is the size and shape of a can of beans and throws plenty of light. In fact, the instructions state the light must be "X" amount of distance away (I said 14" before to give a roundabout number) from the plants in order to be of good, sounds like it throws light a good distance. On the other hand, everyone here has said that the T5's will only light inches from the light. The light I am looking at is comparable in cost to a 6 bulb T5.

I'll check out the name next time in the shop, memory is screwed at the moment.

nouvellechef said:
Think he meant 1000, not 100. Plenty of light for personal grow...........

Yes, sorry! It's a 1000w, I am running a total of 1800w right now.

Roddy said:
Again, we're not talking any "crappy" panels, the light I am talking is the size and shape of a can of beans and throws plenty of light. In fact, the instructions state the light must be "X" amount of distance away (I said 14" before to give a roundabout number) from the plants in order to be of good, sounds like it throws light a good distance. On the other hand, everyone here has said that the T5's will only light inches from the light. The light I am looking at is comparable in cost to a 6 bulb T5.

I'll check out the name next time in the shop, memory is screwed at the moment.

I wld love to see a pic of this light or more info...led light the size of a can of beans that throws light well and only costs about the price of a 6 bulb t5?:holysheep:
I did some research on LEDs when I was considering them or a T5 setup and the only ones I cld find getting any good results were at least 400watts and cost quite a bit of coin.

I hear that, Hamster, I'll try to get some info for you. It as about $230 for an equiv to a 400w if I remember correctly. I'll call my hydro guy and get the details...

OK, my bad...it's actually equiv to a 150w and is here:

hxxp://www.kessil.com/products/h150_led_grow_light.php

I also saw this one which covers a bigger area but only comes in red or blue:

hxxp://www.kessil.com/products/h150w_led_grow_light.php

Latest posts

Back