leds to add to hps worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBH, I've never seen any of these cheap panels you speak of, but can only imagine going by what you say. I guess if I were judging by them, I'd say no as well...but not sure if these deliver what they say they do or not. A farmer here bought 6 and is doing the test I spoke of before up against a 1000w HPS, will be on time-lapse....

just get one and we can stop this thread the horse is already dead.

Yes, they will work.

/

eBayItem number: 220757908537

Those are the kind that are crap...

Here is one that I almost got...Item number: 290544062588

OGKushman said:
just get one and we can stop this thread the horse is already dead.

Yes, they will work.

/

Just because it's dead to you doesn't mean others aren't here trying to learn, if this thread bothers you, ignoring it is a simple fix!

lol Hamster, that looks like a disco floor...no wonder I'm hearing the tech isn't here yet! I wonder how those rate to something like the UFO's??

This thread is fine. Small things like this is what i stick around for. To provide insight into better methods to grow for newer individuals.

But to our new members out there that are a little nieve. Keep this simple fact in mind when purchasing lighting equipment.

Lumens make light. Watts draw power. Power makes Energy, Energy makes Heat.

HPS/MH = MOST LUMENS PER WATT PER HEAT UNIT ADDED (MOST EFFICIENT)

ALL OTHER LIGHTS ARE LESS EFFICIENT. i.e.:waste money. using t5s isnt any different. Doesnt mean they are bad either. Just means they dont work as well.

Thank you for listening to your physics lesson for today. Lets hope you take it in and decide to progress forward.

:)

good luck and :peace:

Now that that's out of the way, can we get back to the discussion on LED's and if they are good as supplemental lights?

OGKushman said:
Lumens make light. Watts draw power. Power makes Energy, Energy makes Heat.

HPS/MH = MOST LUMENS PER WATT PER HEAT UNIT ADDED (MOST EFFICIENT)

ALL OTHER LIGHTS ARE LESS EFFICIENT. i.e.:waste money. using t5s isnt any different. Doesnt mean they are bad either. Just means they dont work as well.

I need a little more teaching here. I've never seen this formula before. I always thought it was (put simply): WATTS (energy)= LIGHT (energy) + HEAT (energy), with the heat component being the inefficiency when discussing lights.

As far as the most lumens per watt, I think LPS would win hands down, with some flourescents coming in second. But we do know that LPS is ineffective for growing when compared to the more balanced spectrum (or more PAR specific) of a HID light (MH/HPS).

So, with LED putting out less heat (converting more energy to light), I would assume they are efficient. Then going 1 step further as it relates to indoor growing, LED's are capable of producing light waves in pinpoint spectrum (in nanometers) that plants respond most to- making them very efficient for our purposes.

But, my understanding is that the costs of producing the leds in the precise nm range is what's costly and still not commercially available yet. That is why I have not used LED lighting yet for growing- however I do use them in my field of work- they're bright, but not exact for growing.

But, as to the OP's question, I have no experience using LED's for growing- sorry I can't help.

From stoneybuds journal, I think ledgp45's would be good to veg with. You can get one with shipping for under $150. I would like to try one for side lighting for my 600 watt hps, not to increase yield, but to increase potency.

Hamster Lewis said:
I did some research on LEDs when I was considering them or a T5 setup and the only ones I cld find getting any good results were at least 400watts and cost quite a bit of coin.
You may want to take a look at the results I got from my 28 watt LEDs.

In the same room, using two 430 watt HPS, I got no better growth in 45 days of vegging from rooting. The only obvious difference was that the stems were about 25% smaller.

28 watts per/panel, four panels, as opposed to two 430 watt HPS.

No difference in growth other than what I mentioned above. I think the higher power LEDs are a waste of money. Their throw is no further than mine. They may increase some vegetative growth as far as leaves, but not enough to warrant the increase in cost and power usage.

I'm speaking from having used both the 28 watt LEDs and the 430 watt HPS in the exact same type of growing. None of the other variables changed.

NOW we're getting a bit of discussion, THANKS! Stoney, are you saying the light I linked above wouldn't work any better than the panels? How tall did you get the plants?

BBFan said:
I need a little more teaching here. I've never seen this formula before. I always thought it was (put simply): WATTS (energy)= LIGHT (energy) + HEAT (energy), with the heat component being the inefficiency when discussing lights.

As far as the most lumens per watt, I think LPS would win hands down, with some flourescents coming in second. But we do know that LPS is ineffective for growing when compared to the more balanced spectrum (or more PAR specific) of a HID light (MH/HPS).

So, with LED putting out less heat (converting more energy to light), I would assume they are efficient. Then going 1 step further as it relates to indoor growing, LED's are capable of producing light waves in pinpoint spectrum (in nanometers) that plants respond most to- making them very efficient for our purposes.

But, my understanding is that the costs of producing the leds in the precise nm range is what's costly and still not commercially available yet. That is why I have not used LED lighting yet for growing- however I do use them in my field of work- they're bright, but not exact for growing.

But, as to the OP's question, I have no experience using LED's for growing- sorry I can't help.

The different spectrum is one of my wonders here as well, the light I linked above boasts of a wider range. I am interested in this, especially if it's going to boost the bud growth on the bottom of the plant!

babysnakess said:
From stoneybuds journal, I think ledgp45's would be good to veg with. You can get one with shipping for under $150. I would like to try one for side lighting for my 600 watt hps, not to increase yield, but to increase potency.

Have you got a link to these?

i think. if you have HPS... and you add LEDs.... you will NOT see any diferance in the bud... try covering your walls in Mylar.. what you need to understand is how to make the light bounce around.. when the charged particals of light hit something like wood or something black, they go into that thing and change into heat.. when they hit something like Mylar they bounce rite off and keep going.. SO, cover everything in Mylar, this way the light that does not hit the plants bounces all around the room untill they do hit the plants.. in a perfect room the onlything NOT reflective in the room is the plants..

So basicly i just dont see using LEDs in a HPS room making any diferance at all

I have a mylar covered tent. If you go to hightimes.com and plug in led growlights, you will find a comparison of led and hid lights. They used a prootype of the hidhut. What they stated they found out in their lab was test a, 400 mh against the led, the led did 12% better. Test b the 400 hps did 5% better, but using cuttings from the same mother and same growing conditions ther were markedly differences in potency, the led more potent even thoug it to a week longer to flower. Test c against a 600 watt hps, 20% less yield but resin production way up on the led side. The potency thing is what I'm getting at.

With the 90 day money back guarantee, it's a free bud trial...the sales pitch truly is promising, the pricing isn't bad either...and it'd cut down on heat!

eta...ledgp45's

Roddy said:
Have you got a link to these?
The best thing you can do is a search for "GlowPanel45", make sure you buy the ones that are 28 watts. Look at the specs. Their first version had 14 watts. You want the one that says 28 watts.

babysnakess said:
I have a mylar covered tent. If you go to hightimes.com and plug in led growlights, you will find a comparison of led and hid lights. They used a prootype of the hidhut. What they stated they found out in their lab was test a, 400 mh against the led, the led did 12% better. Test b the 400 hps did 5% better, but using cuttings from the same mother and same growing conditions ther were markedly differences in potency, the led more potent even thoug it to a week longer to flower. Test c against a 600 watt hps, 20% less yield but resin production way up on the led side. The potency thing is what I'm getting at.

Exactly! Plus the cost savings and not jacking the electric bill up. My 112 watts is replacing 860 watts of HPS I used to use with no lessening of growth that matters, considering the manner I grow.

Bleek187 said:
i think. if you have HPS... and you add LEDs.... you will NOT see any diferance in the bud... try covering your walls in Mylar.. what you need to understand is how to make the light bounce around.. when the charged particals of light hit something like wood or something black, they go into that thing and change into heat.. when they hit something like Mylar they bounce rite off and keep going.. SO, cover everything in Mylar, this way the light that does not hit the plants bounces all around the room untill they do hit the plants.. in a perfect room the onlything NOT reflective in the room is the plants..

So basicly i just dont see using LEDs in a HPS room making any diferance at all

I'm inclined to agree with you, Bleek. Considering that the LEDs would have to be at about 6 inches from the plants to have any real affect on them. The HIDs would have to be further, so in essence, the LEDs would be blocking light from the HIDs and compromising any advantage the LED light might have had.

Stoney, that's if you place them overhead?? I am looking to body light, so the lights would be to the side and not blocking any overhead. Would I get benefit then? Or from the one I linked to?

Roddy said:
Stoney, that's if you place them overhead?? I am looking to body light, so the lights would be to the side and not blocking any overhead. Would I get benefit then? Or from the one I linked to?

As side lighting though how would you keep all plants close enough to the panel? If you had one plant you could rotate it yeh but depends on your grow set up.

I'm not looking at the panels, I am looking at the "bean can" unit that throws more light (supposedly). I would put it aiming between the two plants in the front row to body feed them while the back row is fed with a 400w HPS. OR, I could put the unit down just over the 4 and let all 4 get some light, but this isn't the purpose i was looking for...IF the added spectrum proves more potency though........

I'll add that, while overhead isn't really my plan, the Kessil unit could work as I stated (placing overhead of the 4 plants) since it's so small it wouldn't block light and it would splash all plants...a little. I'm looking more for body light for my 4'-5' babes.

Latest posts

Back