leds to add to hps worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captnkush

Reaction score
i have a 400watt hps that i love already running on some autoflowers but i plan to scale up a bit and grow fewer plants but larger. anyway i want to add light to the lower side branches as i fear will be shadowed by a tall plant and because i have a narrow closet i've been looking at sunshine systems ledgp45 and or ledgp14. i've been leaning towards these b/c it will mount well and i won't have to worry about the plants touching the leds b/c should be cool to the touch and looks like they would have great cover in my space but are the lights worth buying or not.

sorry a lot of nonsense in there but im stoned and curious, thanks

no at all. a complete waste of money for lumen/watt ($)

there is still no greater technology then HPS for light output

Stoneybud seems to think these leds are worth the money, at least to veg with anyway. I'm thinking about buying some, maybe we can get some input from him.

He's already answered this in the other thread where I asked this same question, his answer was he didn't know. I personally am not one to dismiss these yet and ask if OG has used these or what are you basing this opinion on?

The question posed is not about main lighting, but about additional or body lighting. I am doing this right now with a 400w HPS, but also wonder about the LED since I have seen some report being comparable to the 400w I am currently using. IF I can get another light giving off comparable benefits AND it costs me less both in unit price and cst to run (elec), I am interested!

I doubt the light would be enough to use as main lighting.

Yes the question is "additional" Lighting..and I too am looking at the LED for side light..as the heat is not there...just my thaughts

Your plants literally have to be within a couple of inches from LEDs to do much good...I really think their use as supplemental lighting to HPS would be very limited. And regardless of the sales hype, there is no way a lower watt LED is as effective as a 400W HPS.

You should check out some of JAAM's grows.... He uses LED's,HPS,and fluro's. No matter what you decide, more lumens =more lumens, and if temps are a concern then i would give it a try. JMO. A.M.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Your plants literally have to be within a couple of inches from LEDs to do much good...I really think their use as supplemental lighting to HPS would be very limited. And regardless of the sales hype, there is no way a lower watt LED is as effective as a 400W HPS.

My understanding is that you HAVE to have the light at least 14" or so from the plants (not sure the exact distance range), are you thinking CFL? This is what I read and was told when looking at the light, I've heard this a few times now. Hype aside, I am interested in the truth here, has anyone used these new LED's and has direct knowledge of their ability (or lack thereof)?

From what I have read leds will make your bud stronger, this was in high times.

That very well could be hype, would need to prove this myself before I'd believe it.

Physics and math will tell us otherwise. Guys THIS IS PROVEN.

DO YOU WANT EASE OF INSTALL? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ANYTHING TO ADD BUT DONT CARE HOW MUCH LIGHT YOUR ADDING? DO YOU TRUST BLINDLY WHAT SOMEONE TELLS YOU ABOUT THE PRODUCT? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR GROW BLING?

CAUSE IF SO THEN COMMERCIAL LIGHTING IS NOT FOR YOU.

High intensity lighty are just that, HIGH INTENSITY.

I know people use Low Intensity, and that is ok. They will not harm the plant, they just will not help it as well as other lights.

Some of your money will be wasted every month on energy costs, and your buds will not be as big as they could be.

But that is ok for some. Some people want to be different, so i say go for it.

AluminumMonster said:
You should check out some of JAAM's grows.... He uses LED's,HPS,and fluro's. No matter what you decide, more lumens =more lumens, and if temps are a concern then i would give it a try. JMO. A.M.

I started with strictly all LEDs when i began growing... I used 12watt all blue panels for veg and had 2 90 watt UFOs in a 2x4' tent for flowering... I quickly added a T5 into the flowering tent, then another... I had great end product for being my first grow but just not alot of it...

I soon got another tent 4x4' and started with a 600whps in there... It has since been bumped up to a 1000whps...

All of the LEDs that are working still(a few of the cheap 12watt panels have pooped the bed) are now being used along with several T5's in my veg area for autos, moms, babies & clones...

If i decided to start with T5s & a 600whps instead of LEDs my seed collection prob would be double the size... :doh:

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
I started with strictly all LEDs when i began growing... I used 12watt all blue panels for veg and had 2 90 watt UFOs in a 2x4' tent for flowering... I quickly added a T5 into the flowering tent, then another... I had great end product for being my first grow but just not alot of it...

I soon got another tent 4x4' and started with a 600whps in there... It has since been bumped up to a 1000whps...

All of the LEDs that are working still(a few of the cheap 12watt panels have pooped the bed) are now being used along with several T5's in my veg area for autos, moms, babies & clones...

If i decided to start with T5s & a 600whps instead of LEDs my seed collection prob would be double the size... :doh:

Thats a hidden brag post. JAAM got mega diff lighting. Such baller status.

IDK bout braggin... I was just trying to point out how much $ i have wasted on lights... and i 100% agree i have too many lights... but have 1 more T5 to hang... LOL

OGKushman said:
Physics and math will tell us otherwise. Guys THIS IS PROVEN.

DO YOU WANT EASE OF INSTALL? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ANYTHING TO ADD BUT DONT CARE HOW MUCH LIGHT YOUR ADDING? DO YOU TRUST BLINDLY WHAT SOMEONE TELLS YOU ABOUT THE PRODUCT? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR GROW BLING?

CAUSE IF SO THEN COMMERCIAL LIGHTING IS NOT FOR YOU.

High intensity lighty are just that, HIGH INTENSITY.

I know people use Low Intensity, and that is ok. They will not harm the plant, they just will not help it as well as other lights.

Some of your money will be wasted every month on energy costs, and your buds will not be as big as they could be.

But that is ok for some. Some people want to be different, so i say go for it.

No need to shout, and you don't need to talk down to us I don't think that's at all needed, but can you show me this proof you speak of? Do you have side by side tests showing this? That's all I ask.

Nobody is shouting and no one is talking down. When someone begs a question that has been answered many times over, because the person may not like the answer, well that seems like not liking the answer you get from dad and then running to mom for something different.

250$ for a cheap 1000watt HPS system.

Thats bulb, ballast, hood, cord, socket

There is no better system dollar per dollar. And I have no useless lights just sitting around. ;)

Im sorry but call alwayshydro in Riverside Ca and ask the owner, who is using them currently to grow veggies in his store. Or visit DHs storre in Riverside and see a simialr setup.

They do not work well without other lighting. SO why add them in the first place? I never had to purchase a LED and I have no reason to. If you purchase an LED then have a reason to get HID...well your throwing your money away.

And that is the truth of it.

:)

Good luck guys

Oh the CAPS.

I was just making a "booming voice" like a commercial or something :p

Regardless if you have an application for these or not, I am betting others DO, my friend, and some of us here are trying to decide if we are of those that do. This is new and developing tech, I don't think you can judge these new lights against lights that came out even a few months or so ago...just like the computer, new tech advances fast.

Roddy said:
No need to shout, and you don't need to talk down to us I don't think that's at all needed, but can you show me this proof you speak of? Do you have side by side tests showing this? That's all I ask.

Pretty sure OGK was spoofing a LED ad....I sure as helll didn't take it as shouting or talking down.
LEDs are not there yet...maybe someday.

I posted before and I'll post again, a guy in town has bought several of these and is in the process of doing a side by side test...we will know more soon and it'll all be on time lapse. Maybe it is here, maybe it isn't...that's yet to be told and how will we know until we test? This is why I asked has anyone tried these personally? Or can you direct me to written summations from someone who has. You guys are both telling me it's not there, but how do you know?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just want to know, hear it from someone who has tried.

And to the OP, I am sorry if I hijacked this thread from your intent, I am thinking you'd like to know too, though?

Latest posts

Back