Light Question ~

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

meds4me

Okay so i have twin 6oo's hps and a 400MH running in the flower room for the ever growing numbers i have to play with. Question is : Does anyone "stage" their lighting ie. So it comes on in stages vs. all coming on at once ?
Currently i'm doing it in stages to simulate light movement in the flower room only . Thanks in advance for the replys ~

you're not simulating light movement since the lights are in 2 fixed locations and turnin one off and the other on you're losing some light intensity during the light period this will decrease your yield so my opinion on this is to keep them both on for the whole 12hours

meds4me said:
Okay so i have twin 6oo's hps and a 400MH running in the flower room for the ever growing numbers i have to play with. Question is : Does anyone "stage" their lighting ie. So it comes on in stages vs. all coming on at once ?
Currently i'm doing it in stages to simulate light movement in the flower room only . Thanks in advance for the replys ~

I agree that you are not really simulating light movement, but that is really a moot point, since there is no benefit to simulating light movement. When we grow inside, we are not trying to duplicate any kind of outside conditions. We are trying to optimize growing conditions by controlling the environment. You are in fact, losing some of your available light if you are not running all the lights the full 12 hours.

Hello to all good folks. Just starting out with a set up. Im in the electrical world (meaning work related)and happened to come across a prototype 12 lampT5 ho fixture thru a supplier. Not meaning to shanghi the thread but got interested in this becasue of the lighting issues. My math says I am pushing 60,000 lumens of light in a 4x4 tent. Fired that puppy up tonight and I can place the back of my hand just inches away with no discomfort. Will I be okay since I can drop the light down just a few inches from the canopy to light up the 16sq' area. I know the 600watt is what most are using. I just got a really good deal on this fixture and had to try it. What do you pros think

RAR. said:
Hello to all good folks. Just starting out with a set up. Im in the electrical world (meaning work related)and happened to come across a prototype 12 lampT5 ho fixture thru a supplier. Not meaning to shanghi the thread but got interested in this becasue of the lighting issues. My math says I am pushing 60,000 lumens of light in a 4x4 tent. Fired that puppy up tonight and I can place the back of my hand just inches away with no discomfort. Will I be okay since I can drop the light down just a few inches from the canopy to light up the 16sq' area. I know the 600watt is what most are using. I just got a really good deal on this fixture and had to try it. What do you pros think
that light will do amazing things as far as veg goes...

RAR. said:

A 4x4 tent is 16 sqr feet so you wld need 48,000 lumens to veg and 80,000 to flower...so if this is a veg tent then you are good to go.

RAR. said:

With some very agressive LST and/or scrog it's possible to grow some very nice bud with the T5 light and yes you can get the light as close as a few inches from the developing buds. The main limiting factor with flouros is they lack any penetration power to reach buds down in the canopy for full development so if you can even out your bud sites for more even light distribution it will make a big difference in your buds.

Peace~!:cool:

There really are no dumb questions! You never know if you don't ask! sometimes even when I "think" I know, I ask just to get others oppinions...sometimes they make me change my mind...sometimes not. This is what's so cool about being able to talk real time here...I grew for yrs, without this aid (the internet) It is so much nicer seeing how others think and do things...I no longer have to live in my own head (which by the way can become a very scarey place!)

I had a similar question regarding turning my light off, for say, a few hours (privacy thing) just for one day though, and i am currently in 12/12.. What i'm getting from what you guys already said is that the girls will just lose a few hours of photosynthesis without any real damage to the plants.. Just looking for some reassurance???

WM420 said:
I had a similar question regarding turning my light off, for say, a few hours (privacy thing) just for one day though, and i am currently in 12/12.. What i'm getting from what you guys already said is that the girls will just lose a few hours of photosynthesis without any real damage to the plants.. Just looking for some reassurance???
yes you got that right you'll lose some hours of photosynthesis if it's just for few hours done only once you won't notice any difference in yield it will be too small but you dont wana make it a habit try make the room lightproof for privacy

zem said:
yes you got that right you'll lose some hours of photosynthesis if it's just for few hours done only once you won't notice any difference in yield it will be too small but you dont wana make it a habit try make the room lightproof for privacy

Yep a few hours once or twice wont hurt anything.

WM420 said:

Well that's a great question.....

Hey there wm420!

That's a good question. We always talk about too much light during flower, we talk about light leaks, but I don't think I've seen a question about missing an hour or 2.

I would think it wouldn't hurt anything, but I've never had the occassion where I ran too many hours of dark. Anyone else have any experience?

Regardless wm420- safety shoud ALWAYS come first!

I have had to turn things off a couple times, because of a furnace repair guy, and once for the cable guy, 2 different occasions, on 2 different grows. That is when I decided to have my lights on cycle, at night time (6pm-6am) when I shouldn't have to have any repair prople here. The 2 times that I had to do it I found no difference in anything with the final product.

Latest posts

Back