Light too big for my vege's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you can top dress lime. Start with 1 tsp per gallon of soil, and mix it real well into the top 2-3" of soil.

but to think about it... If your mother is at 5.1 Ph always and in soil, Im surprised she is alive or possibly appears healthy.

haha well the only thing she is doing is producing new growth basically... and has slowed down growth a lot.. i was just gonna bud her out... but not worth the time really... was gonna chop all the clonable stuff off and let her die... but then i saw that post.. so i thought i'd chime in.

She was at 4.3 runoff actually... after putting 30 litres of 7.5 and then 30 more of 9.5 i got it up to 5.1 once i hit 5 it basically stopped... which seems impossible... eventually it should come up.. i'm just sick of running water through the damn soil lol

So it is a ~3gallon pot so are you telling me to use 3 tsp and mix it in the top 3"? 3" i can do.. any deeper and all I'll have is roots.

yeah, 3 tsp mixed into the top 3" of soil. Give it 4-5 days to have an effect then test your PH again.

Theres a PH chart, was just posted this AM on here, that shows in soil, if you are below 6.0 ph you are locking out all primary nutrients and all but a few micronutes. So its really odd that at 5.1 you would see any growth at all. I'd expect the leaves to be almost white and brittle through out the plant and all secondary growth to be very pale.

maybe, your method for testing the PH isnt as accurate as you think? The only sure way I've heard to test soil PH is with a kit. Testing runoff, can have to many variables, like unused nutrients being washed out and thus lowering PH.

Wow, gone for a day and miss all sorts of stuff.
I know your not supposed to get the leaves of tomato plant wet during the hot part of the day during full sun. Also know when it rains outside the clouds cover the sun. I've had water droplets burn under a flo, because I kept the flo close. But I have had to foliar feed to get a nutrient def. corrected. To me you do what you have to. but I never spray my plants..unless fixing a problem. Doesn't need it IMO.

Hmmm..never heard of foilar spraying epsom salts. I'm not sure if I'd try that..seems to me it would just put a coating of salt all over the plant.IMHO

I mix lime in my soil for a PH buffer, but after the plants in I make a lime tea out of it like justwannabe said. Very easy way to make PH adjustments, IMO

PH for soil is best at 6.8. OK at 6.5 but no higher than 7.0.

My soil mix. is 2/3 soil. 1/3 perlite/vermiculite mix and 1 tbs. of lime. Well mixed and rinsed prior to planting.

I know all those charts... thas why I checked the ph... i knew it was lower then supposed to be... but i didn't think 4.3 would happen! hahaha.. by new growth... i mean like.. maybe a cm a week.. and thas a over estimation. Well, I'll see if i can't get some lime and fix her up, for the hell of it.
U might of just saved a girls life.

justawannabe said:
maybe, your method for testing the PH isnt as accurate as you think? The only sure way I've heard to test soil PH is with a kit. Testing runoff, can have to many variables, like unused nutrients being washed out and thus lowering PH.

If i'm putting in 6.5 and I'm getting 6.5 I figure it'll be okay. I just haven't had a ph tester for i dunno.. maybe 1.5 months.. my pen died on me.. i was using a test kit... but the color of the water i found kinda interfered with the test kit coloring.

Mutt said:
Hmmm..never heard of foilar spraying epsom salts. I'm not sure if I'd try that..seems to me it would just put a coating of salt all over the plant.IMHO

Really? interesting. The fulvic is added so that more of the epsom is absorbed, and from what I've been reading lately its suggested to only spray the undersides of the leaves, as thats the highest concentration of stomatas on the leaf surface.
but yeah, it does coat the fans with salt, I only use it up thru week 4 of flower, while Im still adding CaCl to my waterings because the 2 will precipitate out of solution if mixed improperly. After that the Sul-Po-Mag I add at week 2 of flower is breaking down well enough to supply the plants all they need.

KADE said:
If i'm putting in 6.5 and I'm getting 6.5 I figure it'll be okay. I just haven't had a ph tester for i dunno.. maybe 1.5 months.. my pen died on me.. i was using a test kit... but the color of the water i found kinda interfered with the test kit coloring.

hmm, maybe its just time for a good flush and some fresh nutrients on that mom. Seriously, if her PH is under 6 for as long as you suggest, there should be a stem where the plant once was. Theres just no N uptake under that, and with the lack of P and K, the leaves would fall off in a light breeze and the stems would snap with a flick of the wrist.

Since you have been adjusting PH with your waterings trying to bring it up, that could be why you arent seeing any exceptional growth.

Personally, I feel adjustin the water for PH adjustments in soil is like chasing Harvey, the invisible rabbit. Adjust in the soil, and the soil will adjust itself as needed to copensate for your watering PH.

so far no signs of improvement on my plants if anything they got worse. so my soil sucks then? i've never had this problem before. maybe i need to buy better potting soil?

justawannabe said:
Personally, I feel adjustin the water for PH adjustments in soil is like chasing Harvey, the invisible rabbit. Adjust in the soil, and the soil will adjust itself as needed to copensate for your watering PH.

It can be...but I have found if my water is dead on...then its easier to adjust the soil. where as if the water is off, thats one more variable to have to deal with. Esp. when doing a flush. IMHO

What is the actual benefit of spraying epsom salts?
I haven't seen that before. Just Curious?

Hey Kade what kind of ferts are you using in your dirt?

Flight: The general purpose potting soil (cheapo dollar a bag) has given me tons of greif. I was bein cheap and learned a valuable lesson about that stuff. Very imbalanced in my experience. Quality potting soil is a must. IMHO

Yeah I have heard using a spoonfull of lime works well, I would mix it right in w my soil before I plant I don't think it can hurt> only help> why not?, I'm also not sure that it helps because I have never NOT used it?
DA MILKMAN

justawannabe said:
hmm, maybe its just time for a good flush and some fresh nutrients on that mom. Seriously, if her PH is under 6 for as long as you suggest, there should be a stem where the plant once was. Theres just no N uptake under that, and with the lack of P and K, the leaves would fall off in a light breeze and the stems would snap with a flick of the wrist.

I just did a flush 2 days ago... to try to fix it... I have the amounts n ph of everything wrote down... like i said, i got it up to 5.1... I have actually noticed a drastic INCREASE in growth already... a lot less dying leaves. However, they are still dying, just slower now. I picked up a 25kg bag of powdered dolomitic lime. When I get my ass off of the computer I'll mix in 3 tsps with the ground.

Any other ideas on what I should do?
I'm using DNF hydro nutes. Gro/Green/Gold/and Black. There is nothing wrong w/ the nutes. I know 100% it is ph or a disease... I've ruled out everything else by using other cuttings i've took and trial and error.

On another note.... does neone know of nething that could be substituted for B1 vitamin? or something that is full of it?

And for flushing u say to keep it the proper ph? Putting in a higher ph usually works to change ph quickly... but like i said.. i'm not a soil grower... till u guys finish having ur way w/ me and make me one. =)

Magnesium (Mg)
Action Mode
Absorbed as Mg++; leaches from sandy soil; mobile in plant
Deficiency
Reduction in growth; yellowish, bronze, or reddish color of older leaves, while veins remains green; leaf margins may curl downward or upward with a puckering effect
Excess
Interferes with Ca uptake; small necrotic spots in older leaves; smaller veins in older leaves may turn brown; in advanced stage, young leaves may be spotted
Comments
Mg is commonly deficient in foliage plants because it is leached and not replaced; epsom salts at a rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon may be used two times a year; Mg can be absorbed by leaves if sprayed in a weak solution; dolomitic limestone can be applied in outdoor situations to rectify a deficiency

Marijuana is a MG hog in flower, and somewhat in veg. But since I add a rather potent Ca suppliment in my waterings I cannot add Mg like I need to. So to still get Mg in the plant I foilare feed it once a week until I stop adding Ca to my waterings, which is around week 4 of flower.
If you mix the Ca I use with Mg the 2 can precipitate out of solution and the plants get no benefit. By spraying, I dont have to worry about that.

Hey Kade,
Noticed your using you Hydro nutes. I googled it and can't find the answer. Is it PH buffered like Gen Hydro Flora products?. That may be the reason you PH is so low and screwin you up? Just a thought...
I haven't had a PH drop like that ever in soil is the reason I'm asking.
Have you tried a regular organic fert? Like fox farms or something. I use hydro nutes as well. but have been careful. The ones I use are ok for both hydro and soil (they have directions for both on the label). where some are for hydro only. May want to look into that. I've never used DNF ferts before.

SuperThrive and Thrivealive both have B1. ThriveAlive doesn't have hormones in it. Its really a personal preference between the two and easily gotten at most garden shops.

My nutes are made for soil as well. It does not say it is.. nor do I think it is ph buffered... as when I add them to the water the ph drops. I added the lime today, we'll see how things go. I have some pics I took today showing what happens with the leaves... it does have ''necrotic spots'' but not necessarily on older leaves... altho... there are no older leaves..

Anyways I'll stop hijacking this guys thread I'll start another thread in the indoor section. "Kades soil noobness"

well i solved my problem! i went and bought the most expensive soil i could find (7.00$ for 2 not so large bags) and transplanted my babies. I can already tell a big improvement in just over a night!@ =)

Awesome man.. I'm using $9/bag stuff n i'm still getting owned! =(

flight175 said:
well i solved my problem! i went and bought the most expensive soil i could find (7.00$ for 2 not so large bags) and transplanted my babies. I can already tell a big improvement in just over a night!@ =)

Awesome. I hope they continue to improve for you.

I used miracle grow. it's really fluffy and looks rich in nutrients. the other stuff i was using was like 2 dollars for a huge bag. it looked almost more like mulch than soil. it had big chuncks of wood and stuff in it.

miracle grow is not the answer...

Latest posts

Back