Like walking on glass...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wetdog you should always tell me when you disagree with me. Forums are all about discussion and, like I said, just because I've always done something my way doesn't mean it's the right way (don't tell my hubby that though! lol) and if you think you have an insight that will make my weed even better I want to know, and unless it's something totally crazy like taking my plants out into the full moon naked to increase the yield, I'll probably try it.

Differing opinions is what makes these forums interesting, and I'm interested in everything you have to say, as long as you say it with sweetness, love, and a true desire to help. :)

No place is perfect. Of all the forums I personally like this one the best.

Now, I want to know who the click is and keep away from them. I never fit in in High School and am in danger of fitting in here. I kid, I joke, therefore I am....tcbud.

I dont know much bout growing, but am always ready to land on a thread with an encouraging word or two.

Peace and Love Cali where ever you land.

As a member who has been here since the site was at about 500 members and who has served as a Moderator here, I've seen it go from a very close knit and small group of active members, (about 20), to the current 1,397 active members and total membership of 24,841.

I was always taught by my Father and later by the Army to never back down when you believe you're right. To never meet opposition equally, but to escalate the counter-attack into its highest casualty rate in order to push your opponent(s) to their maximum defence, which will limit thier offencive capabilities.

I've learned that within a group such as this, that method simply does not work. It alienates the very people who you wish *not* to alienate and allows your opponent the possibility of a perceived win due to "Cancellation due to Moderation".

I've returned several times after leaving to "cool off", and each time, tried to modify my methods of discussion and debate. Each, again failed until this, my most current return to the site.

This return has seemed to work thus far as a result of several factors:

1. The main instigator of attacks on me is now gone. He had a blatant hate for me that would never stop. His few fellow attackers don't do it without his leadership, so the attacks and harassment stopped with his leaving.

2. I've modified my method of presenting my opinions. I try as hard as I can now to not phrase things as anything that could be seen as "condescending" or "superior" or in any way to be attacking anyone else. I realize that even when you know what you say is correct, it can be taken offence to if presented in a manner which makes the receiver of that information feel slighted. I word my posts very, very carefully now and I will not argue with anyone for any reason.

3. Sure, there are "cliques" here. Many of them. Some are just people who have become personal friends, some are "clubs", some are real-life friends who are also members here. Cliques are common, expected and natural to any large group of people after time.

---
There will always be those who like to be in the forefront of drama. I've been accused of being one. I'm not and never have been. I've simply defended myself when attacked and not given up regardless of the number of attackers. There is a difference.

This site will succeed because it has good Moderation. That and only that is what keeps this site from imploding and turning into a carbon copy of the mess all the other sites are. The Moderators here work every day to remove the trash, alter the foulness and remove those who cannot change to what is accepted here.

The members who stay all accept the policies, traditions and rules that this site operates by. That's why it is and always will be the best site for this type of discussion on the net.

With the cooperative help of both the members and the Moderators, this site will thrive even more and more.
----
Hey, as far as the "Thanks" button goes, I run two vBulletin sites that both use the Thanks button and are the latest version of vBulletin. Both sites having current coding problems that are directly related to the scripts in that hack. I'm working on them for my sites, but so far, I still receive admin emails daily for coding errors caused by that hack. I think MarP is waiting for a stable version of it before adding it again.

Anyway, since this seems to be an appropriate thread to put this, I'm sorry it took this old fart so long to modify his approach to that which is more inclined to cause no problems. I wish I'd done it sooner. I really do love this site and consider many people here personal friends.

Cali, I hope you can do as me and just overlook the very few who will choose to dislike you and see only those who are helpful and friendly to you. Stick around man. Adapt and compromise. You'll be glad you did.

Some can. Some can't. You've always struck me as the type of person who is intelligent and able to adapt if needed.

This was my first home. These people taught me how to grow. Im not a very active person on the forums, and I hardly ever post pictures. I know I'll get opinions and help when I need it here. Sometimes I might not like what they say, but they are telling me how to grow dank. As people, we never like hearing we aren't doing the best job, but we need to hear it.

In closing, I just have to say...I'm glad my screenname was still available. I thought it was clever, and I doubt I could have come up with something just as clever a second time.

WOW...

This is what I remember about this site. ;)

Some very good and also some very valid points brought up. I look forward to being able to read through all of these posts later today, but for now... Lunch is officially over. :rolleyes:

Time to have a smoke break, and then back to the chores. :bong1:

Cali*', I think your point does hold some validity. I have seen a "mob mentality" surface at times.
But I also think it is usually members vouching for, defending, or sticking up for another member or the board. I don't recall seeing blatant attacks from our senior members. I "have" however, seen some rather aggressive counter-attacks.
You may not be getting the 'full' story from what "you" see/read. Often the cursing, name calling, insults have been removed by the staff.

But, I do hope everyone sees your point, and hopefully will 'think' about it when they post.
thanks

Wetdog said:
Yeah, the tone has changed for the moment. First the site melted down, then some of the members melted down and now (I think), we're in recovery. It seems like it, things aren't quite as 'stiff' as they have been.

Here's a little 12-7-7 to help things along :farm: GROW BIG little forum!!

Returning the good vibes... :)

smoke break with the Mar~P crew!!   Lotsa love there..jpg

For the Mar~P crew...   Pass this around, straight from my garden..jpg

Much love around here right now, Good vibes for sure.;) Smoke with me, although... I may have a slight head start.:D

Cali:fly:

I have seen nothing different in the actions of "senior" members that I didn't see back when I first signed up. I think the word friends fits better then cliques....I don't belong to any cliques and don't know where to go to join one....I do however have a bunch of friends who I am tight with.
As for trouble starting up occasionally....that has been going on since I first joined as well...and it is almost always caused by either new members spouting off myths as facts or returning members who have been a way a while and come back preaching their incorrect grow techniques as gospel.
Spend a week at tool sheds like RIU or ICRag and then comeback here and see if you still think things are going to hell in a hand basket here.
When dealing with people it is inevitable that emotions will become involved from time to time...
JMO

I know I may have got a little mad yesterday after reading lots of negativity in a thread. I am a very positive person. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but when someones opinion is constantly negative it kind of rubs me the wrong way. My mother has always told me that if I don't have anything nice to say I should not say anything at all. I should have taken her advice. This is the only forum I have ever frequented and ever plan too. 99.9 percent of the people here are real decent folks, and I enjoy interacting with all of you here. The wife keeps glaring at me I think she wants me to roll one up. Hope all will be well soon.

I've recently returned after a long absense as well.

It's just like I left it. Granted there's a few new faces, and a lot of old ones. This place wouldn't be like it was if it was the same ol, same ol. Just like life, it's ever changing.

I have noticed the ganged-up stuff before, and I've probably been one to jump right on. But dang, I just don't have the energy most days. :p

Stoney, do you think it seems much different then back when we were mods? Its grown in size yes....but over all, feels like it always has, to me anyway.

I hope you stick around. :D

Wow... Some really good posts, and some very valid points. I "guess..." I may have over reacted to a situation or two, then again maybe I was planting a preventative seed...??

This is the best forum(IMHO), but despite any and all statements about how this place will always be the best... Well, those statements could be true. Personally, I hold us accountable for our own actions individually and as a whole. If we continue promoting a healthy active forum, then we will have a healthy active forum. That's all I am trying to say. But, it has just as much potential to go the other way too.

I think the crash has given us a chance to make this place even better, than it is now or ever was. I know it sucks about the crash, we lost all that information and all the time that people put into journals etc. But we can build that stuff back up, and now maybe we will be more fortunate and learn from some of the other things that maybe didn't work so well. I am just gonna look at this crash as a fresh start.

On that note, yeah... We may have had a gang problem, and yeah... It is much better thanks to the crash. However, it would be a shame for someone to jump right in to fill their shoes. A couple of times recently I have seen the teeth swirling, almost waiting for someone to lead the charge. That's just not a place I want to be, period.

And yeah, it's easy to sit here pointing our fingers at "other forums". It's always easy to point a finger.... However, we aren't them and they aren't us. So I am not going to sit here and look at the mess, the other forums have turned into. That in itself is the spine of my argument, My argument being... We ARE better than that.

Lots of old faces popping back up around here lately, I for one am thrilled!! Many of these folks left because of the pre-crash drama, and all though that isn't the focus of this thread... I would hate to see them leave again.

There are many kind and compassionate people around here, I think that and our Moderation team are the one thing, that sets us apart from the rest. Let's use these blessings we do have, let's make this place better than it once was. And yeah, I am well aware of the size of those shoes.

Anyways, sorry I'm couldn't address all the really nice posts from my friends here. But know that I read them all, and I appreciate them immensely! Let's all have a good smoke and make this an awesome day??

Cali:fly:

I just dont see the CLiques, or MObs..

Cliques; Mobs....STAND UP! SHOW YOURSELF

There was a homey, comfortable vibe here that got damaged in the crash a bit. I have every faith that it'll come back. It's certainly worth hanging around to see.

I only see "opinions" get mocked, crushed or explained away when they are wrong, dumb or any combination of the two. Or, when the party s given correct info and decides to ignore it, or enforces their lack of knowledge with more stupidity.

Plus, there are more than a few overopinionated, stick-with-my-system type growers here who could use some serious information updates.

Choose your battles wisely.

I'm sure there are many of us that sit on the sidelines and give info where and when needed and do nothing else beyond that. That kind of behavior can be perceved as "no, your not welcome in my circcle", when there is actually no circle at all, just someone that likes to sit on the sidelines and take/give info as needed. I kind of find it difficult to discuss everyday conversations with others here under the limitations that all forums have. I don't even like having lenghty conversations over the phone. To me it's just not natural as the eye and body language isn't there.
Cliques are just a figment of our imagination when we question ourselve as to what is happening and why we aren't like the imagined relationships we think we see happening here. We are all friends looking for the same interests and goals. I would love to meet many of you in person and untill things change in the world community it can only be limited to the forum as I sit on the sideline and help/take where I can.

The only "cliques" that I've seen n this site are members who have given away lots of their time and knowledge and in the process have bonded with other members doing the same.

I've never been a heavy user of the sight, but been around for a while, and the one great thing about this sight is that its always had a nice, chilled out and humble vibe. The only swaying away from this I see are like someone mentioned above, when the seasoned growers have to answer basic questions like "Should I water my plants," which show the person doesnt really have a clue or desire one. To even give out a response IMO is pretty nice of some seasoned growers. Sure tough times hit the site a bit ago, but it didn't change the essence of the site, which I'm sure will be back to its full glory before long.

Latest posts

Back