magnesium def?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mentholiscold

Reaction score
I've got these rusty spots. Just a couple, popped up a couple days ago. A couple plants, on a leaf or two, per. IMG_20191225_185818152_HDR.jpg IMG_20191225_185809337.jpg IMG_20191225_185844239.jpg

I think I'll wait a couple days, let the soil dry, and try some Epsom salts. Or would it be better if I use cal/mag

Soil is a potting mix w compost and perlite. Advanced nutrients grow and bloom, pH right at 6.0. herb n grow liquid kelp, as foliar spray. Advanced nutrients Nirvana and sensizym. Was using big bud, but should be done, as heading into week 6 of flower. No tap water. Only ro water.

Ph too low for soil.
You can't use RO water without CalMag .
Multiple deficiencies from insufficient minerals and incorrect pH. Don't use Epsom salts at this point. You've gotta jack up the calcium too without frying your plants.

Add the CalMagPlus to your to water according to instructions on the bottle. Personally in dirt if I use it, I start at 100 ppm TDS including what's already in my tap water ( starts around 60ppm) but I'm just supplementing my tap water. Go by the bottle.

Mix in your ferts next.

Then adjust your pH to 7. Not ABOVE 7, weird and not good stuff will happen, but you want to get your soil to drift back up to the upper 6s. Normally you shoot for pH 6.8 but you've been running too low so we are fixing that.

Remember:
plants need minerals and that means if you run ro, ix, distilled, or even rainwater- MUST ADD THEM BACK to mimic surface waters which shpuld be around 60-140 ppm tds as caco3 equivalents.

They'll be fine. This is totally fixable: )

Ph too low for soil.
You can't use RO water without CalMag .
Multiple deficiencies from insufficient minerals and incorrect pH. Don't use Epsom salts at this point. You've gotta jack up the calcium too without frying your plants.

Add the CalMagPlus to your to water according to instructions on the bottle. Personally in dirt if I use it, I start at 100 ppm TDS including what's already in my tap water ( starts around 60ppm) but I'm just supplementing my tap water. Go by the bottle.

Mix in your ferts next.

Then adjust your pH to 7. Not ABOVE 7, weird and not good stuff will happen, but you want to get your soil to drift back up to the upper 6s. Normally you shoot for pH 6.8 but you've been running too low so we are fixing that.

Remember:
plants need minerals and that means if you run ro, ix, distilled, or even rainwater- MUST ADD THEM BACK to mimic surface waters which shpuld be around 60-140 ppm tds as caco3 equivalents.

They'll be fine. This is totally fixable: )
Added the cal/mag. Water pH 7.0. I'll do it again in a day or two. Should have mentioned that, my water is 7.0, and isn't adjusted on the water-only waterings. So hopefully isn't too out of whack.

Ok cool. After a couple rounds of water at 7, check the pH of the water coming out the holes in the bottom of the pot. If its 6.6-6.9 you are golden. Then you just go back to ro+calmag+adjust to 6.8 and carry on like that going forward.

Ok cool. After a couple rounds of water at 7, check the pH of the water coming out the holes in the bottom of the pot. If its 6.6-6.9 you are golden. Then you just go back to ro+calmag+adjust to 6.8 and carry on like that going forward.
Sweet. Thanks for the heads up on this. Much appreciated.

Muchos gracias!
After all's said and done, runoff right at 6.8 pH. Switched back over to nutes, plus calmag, and plants loving life! Doing well. Leaves back to beautiful green, tips green. No more spots, and everyone is perky.
IMG_20191229_155205864.jpg

Latest posts

Back