Making concentrated oil.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpassion

Reaction score
For over a year I have been making my own medical concentrate following Rick Simpson's instructions. I have been using 96° proof alcohol. The Italian version of Everclear but slightly stronger. With this procedure all water soluble impurities including chlorophyll get released into the oil. My next venture will be with Iso-Propyl 99,9° alcohol. This time I will freeze the buds for 24 hours, including the alcohol, the funnels and jars. Mix the dried, frozen bud and Iso. Once again after mixing, I will place in the freezer for a few minutes. Now my big question for which I have no answer. I always decarboxilate my dried buds before mixing with the solvent. My question is WILL DECARBOXILATED BUDS BE SAFE TO KEEP FOR 24 HOURS IN THE FREEZER? Or will I loose some of the resin. I imagine that no negative affects will happen to the frozen buds! Afterwards I will pour the Iso/resin mix in the Smart Still that I have purchased and just hope for the best.
Can any member help me with this little problem? That is freezing the decarboxilated buds.
A thank you to any member who has experience keeping decarboxilated buds in the freezer. I also decarboxilate the oil using a variable heated magnetic stirrer to avoid hotspots and leave the oil on a low heat being stirred for the entire time until all traces of the solvent have disappeared
Thank you.

Do you mean 96 proof or 96%? There is a huge difference betwsen the 2.

I am a little confused by this--"I alsecarboxilate the oil useing a variable heated magnetic stirrer...". Don't you decarboxilate in the oven?

Putting the bud in the freezer should not be a problem.

I meant 96°proof. Yes, I decarboxilate the buds in an oven for 30 minutes at a temperature of 105-110° c.

You need to be using something stronger than 96 proof, which is only 48% alcohol, if you can get it. Everclear is 190 proof or 95% alcohol. I don't know about other parts of the world, but it is the strongest available drinkable alcohol sold in the US.

The alcohol I have been using is 96° proof or 192°proof USA. I am going to use Iso-propyll 99.9° or US 199,98 °proof. A bottle of Scotch which is 80°proof in England, USa, Canada and probably all ex Anglo colonies. This 80° proof will carry a label 40° proof. in Italy and in many other European countries.

You might want to think about using iso.

What about 151 rum?

96 % = 192 proof

so +/-1 % off Everclear

His solution of choice shouldn't be an issue.

I decarboxilate the buds in an oven for 30 minutes at a temperature of 105-110° c.
looks ok there (221F - 230F)
maybe push up to 250F (121c)

OP's question is can you freeze decarbed bud without loosing potency?

redpassion, what is the consistency (thickness, viscosity) of your final product?

:48:

Without ever placing decarboxilated in a freezer, my final results are very,very thick and extremely potent. A small amount similar to 1 grain of rice, can keep me under it's spell for a couple of days. This potency has always been a major problem for me. Rick Simpson suggest a daily dose of about 1 gram. If I took a gram I would be out of circulation for 3-4 days. First affect is couch lock and being unable to speak, followed by a little flying and difficulty in walking properly. Finally even vomit but not always. Perhaps the powerful effect may be due in part to my age 78 years. But as you said, my main issue is to know whether decarboxilated buds will loose their potency after 24+ hours in the freezer. I don't want to risk loosing my crop should frozen decarboxilated buds loose their potency-

No they should not lose their potency. I can only take cbd RSO... I did what you tried and had the same reaction as you. yuck.. maybe an eighth of a piece of rice?

If the alcohol you are using is already 96%, and food grade, you're fine. I'd skip the iso, and get ethanol usp if you need that extra 3%, and keep it food safe. (the grain alcohol you are using sounds perfect already...)

Cold is actually good for extracting, no problems with freezing. I actually use frozen nugs in a frozen jar, with frozen graves grain alcohol when I do alcohol shatter. You get less chlorophyll when it's all frozen.

Hi Rosebud, In spite of the couchlock, floating sensations and all, I quite enjoy the pschyco-active manifestations. I also vaporize with the Volcano digital and the portable Solo Arizer.

Hi Thacheese, The reason why I am changing to Iso is one of cost. The 1 litre bottle of Ethanol costs € 17 as against 1 L of Iso for € 2,49. If one is to make just a little then the ethanol is excellent but when 6-7 litres are required there is an enourmous difference. I have also been considering the use of Acetone, but again it is quite expensive.

Hi Rosebud, If I was to use 151 proof Rum, I would be inclined to drink it rather than use it as a solvent.

Basically, the higher the alcohol content, the more cannabinoids you will get. Everclear was not available in the state where I used to live, so I often used 151. Where I am now, I have Everclear available, so will use that. In my mind the extra alcohol does make a difference--Everclear is 25% stronger. I always worry about using iso as it is poisonous and I worry about getting every little tiny bit of solvent evaporated out, so would rather have something edible.

I generally keep a mason jar in the freezer with alcohol and bud in it. The alcohol tincture is so good for so many different things. I have never found keeping it in the fridge to be a problem.

Hi Hemp Goddess, I have always worried about using other products, rather than my preferred Ethanol Alcohol. The next time around (about 4 weeks) I have decided to use Iso, pass it through my smart still with rashig ceramic rings which tend to aid the distillation process. Then once all the oil/iso mixture has been collected, I will place the glass Pyrex measuring bowl on my magnetic electric hotplate, drop in a special magnet just the right size for the bowl which will revolve, keeping stirred the oil/Iso mixture, even for 24 hours. That should be more than enough to evaporate whatever Iso remains, leaving behind a purged oil. Keeping the hotplate on a low temperture.

Hi to The Hemp Goddes and to Rosebud. Well I have already purchased 20 litres of Iso so I will use it this time even though I have around 14 litres of 96°proof in the kitchen. I am not particularly worried about purging the Iso. I will leave the oil in a heat resistant measure together with a magnetic stirrer, on my magnetic hotplate, for at least 24 hours. 24 hours of heated and stirred oil will eradicate all traces of the 99,9 Iso. It will probably disappear within 2-3 hours. Rick Simpson uses Napthe which is even more toxic. I think it is sufficient to realise when purging that the oil, if not purged sufficiently will do more harm than good. When leaving the tap off a bottle of 96°proof it immediately starts evaporating; imagine leaving that little pool/quantity of heated oil wizzing around with the stirrer for so many hours. I will add several drops of water to the oil, depending how much oil is extracted. ROSEBUD. I am perservering with my oil, now I am taking a little more. However the effects aren't so bad once we become familiar with them. I tried a Bong " The glass sublimator" a vaporizer with Hashish. I took two deep breaths and in a short time I found myself in a couchlock, unable to move or speak, then vomit, or rather the reactions to, since I hadn't eaten for 24 hours. After 3-4 hours when I started to normalise, I thought " How strange!! A strong vomit reaction with my oil and with a Vaporizer being used at a cannabis convention, made me wonder whether both products where satisfactoraly purged"

I too bought a bunch of iso but decided against it. The oil should NOT make you vomit unless you are overdoing it.
What is your goal for the oil? What are we treating or are we just having fun? If that is too personal, please forgive my asking.

Latest posts

Back