MeNtAlPaTiEnT's 400w HPS Box Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT

Reaction score
Ok, it's time for a new journal. Been a little busy for the past while, but I have managed to recently purchase a 400 watter, and I'm really rooting for some nice yields and of course some sticky icky!

Inside the box are all previously outdoor plants except for the one in the right corner, she's been kept indoors under artificial light and she's been bushing out nicely. The outdoor plants never really got much light and had a slow start, but are starting to like the increased light intensity.

I've got a vegging box rocking 8 plants plus a seed that germ'd from an outdoor white berry pollinated by either a hermie WB or an unknown strain... either or. The vegging box doesn't quite support enough light for the plants, but at least they are healthy and growing if a little stretched...

I think the reflector that I'm using is a little small, but should do the job for now. It seems to beam most of the light right under it and doesn't seem to provide intense light to the corners and sides of the box or maybe I'm just crazy. Having the ballast stuck to the hood is going to work out nicely in the winter, since there aught to be a nice amount of heat from the both items.

Anyways.... happy growing!

pic1.gif

pic2.gif

pic3.gif

pic4.gif

YES....Awesome I am the first one to pull up a seat for the show...SWEET....I am in Mental...GREEN MOJO for you....

:cool2: Thanks ham! Can you believe that I still have about half a gram of bud from my big plant from before? Sheesh!

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
:cool2: Thanks ham! Can you believe that I still have about half a gram of bud from my big plant from before? Sheesh!

It's always nice to not hve to worry about where the next bowl will come from...I hve like 8 mason jars full of bud right now...:)

Haha darn right ham. I havn't worried about obtaining a good bowl or joint for a loooong time. I frequently have the best quality weed whenever I get together with friends... lots of people pay good money for bad weed around here. I've refused offers like 2 grams of their stuff for 1 gram of mine. Oh the joys of homegrown...

8 jars! I guess you're pretty safe for the next little while haha.

And i'll take up second seat in the theatre ! Looking real tasty so far MP ! Goodluck and MOJO your way !

September 19

Temperatures reach a maximum of 28 degrees C during the light perod, not sure when the lights are off. Once, I did not have a fan going, and temperatures climbed up to 36 degrees c! My ballast was super hot, and I'm hoping it did not damage it, I'm sure the bulb is fine... And the plants got really thirsty. They were quite wilted today, such a shame :(. They look so much more beautiful when they have what they need. Makes me smile when they perk back up after a little drought. :)

My intake is simply a fan blowing into a hole with ducting going straight up and into the room. An inline fan would be much better!
No out take. Don't think I even need one.

Unfortunately, due to bringing in plants from outside... I seem to have a little spider mite thing going on. Underside the leaves have little white dots, presumably eggs. Leaves are starting to get spots, but not in the extreme. I applied some insecticidal soap today... Not sure exactly how to apply. Should you rub the soap in with your fingers, like run your thumb and fore finger along the length of the leaf after spraying, or is it sufficient simply to spray the entire underside and leave it at that? Anyways, I'm pretty positive the mites arrived from outside. Bad decision on my part! Lesson learned.

Anyways, happy growing!

pic1.gif

pic2.gif

you are mental. i love watching your grows. keep us on our toes. happy growing.

when i grow up i wanna be like mentalpateint, looking good brother, i'll be pulling up my new vapor for this one!

You Have It Going On, Everything Is Looking Very Healthy & Loving Life..

Is this White Berry again? Nice to see what you'll be able to do with a 400W. Pulling up a chair here.

Looking good Mental..sorry to hear about the mite problem...

Thanks loolagigi, chef, trafic, and ham! New vapor, chef? Those things get your straight wrecked!:cool2:

Hopefully the mites are under control now, since I've sprayed down most of the leaves that looked infected. I'm assuming once the cold weather hits, they will probably die out. I'm not sure what the temps will look like in here but they will probably get pretty chilly, but nothing like it was last year when I was using CFL's. The HPS and ballast in the same box will surely help to warm things up.

I keep telling myself this.... don't work with the plants when you're stoned! Last night I did it again. I was baked and watering, taking pictures, and moving things around when I knocked a plant over, and got dirt all in the bud and stuff. If you look at my first post, it's one of those little single cola plants in a smaller bucket. So I suppose I could soak the bud in water and hope the dirt comes off and then dry for a couple of weeks, or leave it to dry and hope the dirt kind of crumbles off as the leaves get dry. Or I could sell the bud to somebody for cheaper than usual :p . Thing is, I always think I'm in a hurry when I'm working with the plants under the influence. I need to take my time and be careful. Bah!

Trafic said:
Is this White Berry again? Nice to see what you'll be able to do with a 400W. Pulling up a chair here.
Yup :).

September 20

Moved the light more so over the big plant in the top right. I can tell she's loving the extra light because her leaves seem to be almost jumping for joy, they are going vertical with good fast growth. Also gave the plants a nutrient feeding yesterday, I bet they loved that as well.

That is all :joint4:

pic1.gif

pic2.gif

Looking real green and tasty my friend....keep it up

Daaang mental, that last pic has a yummier than thou look, it doesn't look safe brother...... you'd better give it to me for proper inhalation testing to make sure the rest of your plant is ok, i know its a sacrafice but for you brother anything. Oh yeah loooove the new vape, got some street trash i've been trying it out, can't wait to try out my ladies as soon as harvest day comes, etc.WRECKED and lovin it.

Thanks for stopping by frankcos and chef. I had another plant just like the last picture chef, but she fell and got dirt all over her... I'd give her to you if you lived near me :p. Vapes are awsome for smoking good quality homegrown because you can seriously taste the flavours, not to mention how incredibly high you can get!

Can't wait for things to heat up over here, big buds soon!

September 27

Just a few pics. Things are going along nicely. Temperatures aren't bad at all these days since there's nice cool air coming in from the intake instead of hot summer air like there was before.

Chopped my little single cola plant today, thought it was about time. She fattened out very nicely in my opinion. She's not super crystally but I'm hoping for a really unique high from her.

Vegging box has 4 whiteberry clones, hanging out under roughly 200 or so watts of cfl's. Thinking of getting another 400 watt hps for the veg box. It would be incredibly bright in there if I did. The box is only about 2.5 x 2.5 feet so I'd be able to veg some super bushes with another HID. Just a thought. Maybe if I could find a 250 watt MH or HPS, I could use that. I was thinking about going with t5 HO's... but they seem to be quite expensive around here, and I'd probably need to buy about 3 or 4 of them. The initial cost for t5 would probably supersede the cost of a high pressure sodium or metal halide.

I took a picture of a cola that's developing on my big whiteberry (second picture) from seed. She's about 2 and a half weeks into flower, maybe 3 and I have a really good feeling that she's going to be a monster when she's done.

Happy growing all.

pic1.gif

pic2.gif

pic3.gif

pic4.gif

Latest posts

Back