MG Organic Choice Potting Soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stully

Reaction score
I think the MG soil is killing my seedlings. I have had seeds from several different bags and the conditions are not optimal but should be good enought to get some plants going. They get to the five or six day point and they stop growing and die.

Ive never used the organic choice but I use MG moisture control, I have used it for seedlings and it was fine... Are you sure your not overwatering and that your PH is ok?

MindzEye said:
Ive never used the organic choice but I use MG moisture control, I have used it for seedlings and it was fine... Are you sure your not overwatering and that your PH is ok?

My PH is right at 6.5 soil that is and I haven't wateredsince planting but the soil in still moist. The moisture meter is reading like 5. I don't think the seedlings are able to build strong roots(the organic choice is really barky)

It could be the soil, one reason i like the Moisture Control is that there are no large wood chunks or sticks in it, its made of peatmoss and coconut fibers, its really light and fluffy and holds moisture like a sponge...

Try a different soil, look at the bright side your only out like $8 and some free bagseed.

MindzEye said:
It could be the soil, one reason i like the Moisture Control is that there are no large wood chunks or sticks in it, its made of peatmoss and coconut fibers, its really light and fluffy and holds moisture like a sponge...

Try a different soil, look at the bright side your only out like $8 and some free bagseed.

Yeah I'm gonna give it a try with some new soil. But I still have like 10 seeds that will not germ. They have been in a paper towel for like five days and will not split. They prolly are junk, but they are my last chance till I get some new stuff. I checked out a seed bank that has the right prices, but what is the best way to pay and ship. Do I ship it to my name or shouil I leave my name off of it.

MindzEye said:

Mindzeye speaks much wisdom I'd get some more bag seed and make sure you get things popping along before it starts costing you $$$... It sounds like some dud seeds might be part of your problem but if they sprout and then die I don't think it's all due to seeds... just keep tweaking your method til you got it down.

stully said:
I checked out a seed bank that has the right prices, but what is the best way to pay and ship. Do I ship it to my name or should I leave my name off of it.
Have you checked out the "Seed Bank" section of the MP forum? You can check out the latest feedback and see if your seed bank has a good rep. Here's a link:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11

MindzEye said:
I ship it to my name, I use my CC also, some people prefer the money order... Dont sweat it, ordering seeds isnt a big deal..

Yeah it's always best to have them shipped directly to you in your own name. The postal service may not deliver them if the name and address doesn't match up. I can't think of anyone I would put in the position of accepting a seed order and that's just another person who will know about your new hobby which violates rule #1 in my book...

I don't know where you live but although I'm in the good ol' U.S.A. I'm a whole WORLD away socially and more important legally from the casual mj scene in Cali... I never have anything growing in my pad when I order seeds. Call me paranoid but around here they still put you in a nice little efficiency apt with bars, give you an orange jump suit and some flip flops... maybe even a celly named Spike. :eek: I still prefer to send a international money order and give it an extra 4 days to a week to arrive. I've always had good luck with orders from Doc Chronic but it's been awhile and their rep has slipped on the forums but there are plenty of good choices out there.

Good luck!:cool:

MindzEye said:

I'm thinking about trying the MG moisture control Have you had good luck? How long do you wait until you start putting nutes in it? Its prolly a pretty convenient soil to use and it aint that expensive. Do you use MG nutes as well?

Spend the extra $ and buy 1 of the Pro-Mix soilless mixtures. You have to put out a little money to grow top quality smokeables.

No MG nutes, I use GH floranova, Koolbloom and floralicious plus...

I have great luck with it Ive used it for years, the materials used to make it are premium... Im not a huge fan of the nutes in it...

What i do is feed no nutes for first 3-4 weeks, if starting from seed you may want to extend that a week or two.

After the 3-4 week period I flush it with PH balanced water 3x the water as the container size, so a 1 gal pot will be flushed with 3 gallons on water... Let the soil dry out then the next watering start out with 1/4 strength nutes... Make sure you Flush every 3 weeks after that with PH balanced water... then continue regular feeding...

ozzydiodude said:
Spend the extra $ and buy 1 of the Pro-Mix soilless mixtures. You have to put out a little money to grow top quality smokeables.

I can grow awesome weed in MG soil, you just have to know how to work with it...

Thanks alot I got a good list of stuff i got to get together and then I'm gonna give this thing a real good try. i still got two of my 5 plants holding on. One looks pretty strong the other looks a little weak. I got to tweak my system a little bit. My mom grows the biggest tomatoes and peppers I've ever seen in MG soil.

It is great for veggies, the nutes in MG are not the best for marijuana, goal with this is to flush out the MG nutes before flowering and use your own after that... It does have some time released nutes in it but with regular flushing Ive never had a problem.. My grow nutrients have a layer of dust on top of the bottle, i only use it for mother plants

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of good mixes out there, MG is not superior... I use it because I have a system down that works for me.... Peat moss and pearlite has worked great for me also.... Promix is very good soil, so is jiffy mix soil less mix... I cant find either in a store in my area anymore, its either some off brand Supersoil or MG...

While there are some out there that do okay with MG soil, most do not. Do yourself a favor and get some good soil--MG is not good for MJ (the soil or the nutes).

The Hemp Goddess said:
While there are some out there that do okay with MG soil, most do not. Do yourself a favor and get some good soil--MG is not good for MJ (the soil or the nutes).
I agree 100%.. there's a reason miracle grow products are the cheapest on the market...;)

Ive grown fine in MG. Though i will say its grown better when ive used the Happy Frog line from Fox Farms. Its a lot more expensive but you will be rewarded come harvest time. ;) If you insist on keeping it cheap and want to keep using the MG id suggest cutting it, get a bag of plain old top soil and mix it 50 50, id also not use the moisture control or the organics choice if you use MG use the red #1 the original stuff from them, and don't use it on seedlings the extremely high N in there will burn them up fast. When i was getting the new bag of MG what i did was to flush it out (breaks open the time release stuff) and let it sit to air out and then flushed and air again before mixing and use. You shouldn't need to feed until after 3 months but by then you may be flowering and only need bloom nutes.

MindzEye said:
I ship it to my name, I use my CC also, some people prefer the money order... Dont sweat it, ordering seeds isnt a big deal..

...unless you live in a small town where there are only a few postal workers who all know everybody in town's buisness...and might wonder why you would be getting a letter from Amsterdam. All it takes is an xray to see there are seeds in the envelope. Big city, less problem. The workers are underpaid, hate their job and really dont give a crap.

Lass

MindzEye said:

If it were me, Id rinse those roots free of soil and plop those babies into Hempy Cups with only perlite and vermiculite. Ive done soil, including MG and Im doing Hempy now. Ive never seen a seedling so far that didnt just love the Hempy.
Somebody in here who's a lot more experienced than me said it was hard to go from soil to Hempy, but I havent personally had any problems starting seeds in a Jiffy pellet, then plopping the whole pellet into Hempy once the roots start showing thru the bottom of the pellet.

Maybe Im a PITA about Hempys, LOL! But I swear, once I heard about growing in perlite/verm in a container with a hole drilled two inches above the bottom, I was In Love. It'ws cheap, virtually ANY container works and best of all, you can give the exact amount of nites your plants need.

I mean...what's NOT to olove?

You do whatever you feel is right for you. But I suggest you read up on the Hempy technique. Seedlings get everything they need, water, air and when they're old enough, nutes in the right mix.

Who needs soil, man?

Lass

Latest posts

Back