MH or HPS conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain1

Reaction score
I have a 1000w Mh freebie and was curious if I should use a hps conversion bulb in it or just run the MH for flower? I already have 1 1000w hps so I was thinking of running them both and moving the plants around weekly. Reason im asking is because I dont feel like spending 200 for a conv. bulb if its not realy worth it.

I have also seen red enhanced bulbs from sumaster and solarmax wonder if they might be a better choice they are around 100$.

How many plants and what size space are we talking about captain? one 1000w hps is pretty strong stuff.

18 bucket sites figure Im running 9 under 1000 now in a 5'x5' tent and they look great. Vegging with a 400mh and t5. The room size is like 9x9 not exact and I can make it smaller. Two 6'' vented hoods 440 cfm exhaust 160 intake might make the intake larger depending on how things work.

you could run the two you have and rotate the plants or put the lights on a swinger...I probably would weight the cost 200.00 verses the extra growth potential..some people flower with just mh and it isnt like you are doing tons of plants...so I think u r cool with what u have..so much of it depends on how big the flowering plants will get what strain please and is it indica or sativa?

Aye Aye Captain1!

Budders Keeper is doing a dual spectrum grow- check out his grow journal here:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47080

That should answer some of your questions. The bigger question for your situation IMHO is how small can you cut that 9 x 9 space down to?

Regardless of which bulbs you go with, you'll be lacking sufficient lighting. You should be able to put the 18 buckets in that same 5 x 5 space.

Keep us posted.

I can make it as small as i want. Im going to put up some panda film to partition off the room. What size do you think I should go with?And 2 1000w isnt sufficient? Thats like 11,000 lumens per sq ft at 18 sq ft. if I cut down the area should be plenty I would think. I would like to go larger than 5x5 my plants are taking up that space quickly. Let me know if im missing something.

captain1 said:
I can make it as small as i want. Im going to put up some panda film to partition off the room. What size do you think I should go with?And 2 1000w isnt sufficient? Thats like 11,000 lumens per sq ft at 18 sq ft. if I cut down the area should be plenty I would think. I would like to go larger than 5x5 my plants are taking up that space quickly. Let me know if im missing something.

Hi Captain1-

Maybe I misunderstood (happens every day, all day :rolleyes: ) but I assumed you meant 9 ft x 9 ft which would be 81 square feet total- basically the size of a (very) small bedroom.

A 1000 watt MH puts out about 110,000 lumens and a 1000 watt HPS puts out about 145,000 lumens for a total of 255,000 lumens divided by 81 feet gives you 3,150 lumens per square foot, give or take. That's what I based my comments on.

I assume you're doing hydro and should be able to set up a 4' x 8' table which would blast those girls with about 8000 lumens per square foot and give you some fantastic growth.

So, if I made a mistake, please accept my apologies!;)

BB By no means was I questioning you just trying to see if I was mistakin. Also After reading that grow journal I was wondering like stated if it wasnt the lumens that was the issue why the mh didnt do so well. Also with a red spectrum 3000 kelvin MH bulb I would assume that the flowering growth would be similiar. I am not using a table but rather the buckets. Let me know your thoughts BB. Thanks a bunch. Also I just measured out my space and after review of needed veg room I will be right around 4'6''x 8'

2Dog said:
you could run the two you have and rotate the plants or put the lights on a swinger...I probably would weight the cost 200.00 verses the extra growth potential..some people flower with just mh and it isnt like you are doing tons of plants...so I think u r cool with what u have..so much of it depends on how big the flowering plants will get what strain please and is it indica or sativa?

The strains are mixed indica sativa. Fruity chronic juice, La confidental,Star47,Blue widow,and my old Skunk haze that we all love here so much.

captain1 said:
BB By no means was I questioning you just trying to see if I was mistakin. Also After reading that grow journal I was wondering like stated if it wasnt the lumens that was the issue why the mh didnt do so well. Also with a red spectrum MH bulb I would assume that the flowering growth would be similiar. I am not using a table but rather the buckets. Let me know your thoughts BB. Thanks a bunch. Also I just measured out my space and after review of needed veg room I will be right around 4'6''x 8'

Hi Captain-

No problems, man- the only problem is that the printed word is often not as effective as the spoken word- it lacks the necessary inflection. I have written many things that have been misinterpreted and the conversation just goes south, so I wanted to be sure we were on the same page.

IMHO- 4'6" x 8' would be a great space for those 2 lights and that should give you some great growth and tremendous yield.

But it's a great point you bring up about the quantity of lumens. Plants respond not only to quantity of light, but also quality of light- different receptors process different light spectrums and produce different reactions in the plant. I just did a side by side MH to HPS test. I linked the thread below if you want to take a look. But I may have stopped too soon- the buds that I started flowering under the MH are now really tight and rock hard. The HPS buds are much fluffier- if they fill in they'll be monsters, if they don't they might end up light and fluffy- and disappointing.

So, in my opinion there's a point where spectrum beats out lumens and on the scale of my test, I thought I simply didn't have enough lumens to make a difference (that's why I thought you should check out Budders Keeper's journal- I think it may be closer to what I think you're trying to do). I just haven't found that point yet. Maybe you can find it for me.

Here's the link:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48494

Happy Growing, my friend! :cool:

After reading your grow with the MH I think im still going to use the MH but with the red spectrum bulb. I believe you are on to something with your grow I believe the missing link may have been just a little more red spect. Also I think that I will be pounding enough lumens per sq ft that the hps might not over take it like your grow. It will be interesting.... I will keep you informed on it

Howdy captain, I can't disagree with anything BBFan has said...especially the part about printed word VS. spoken word! Another thing I just noticed is the Mh seem to be maturing faster..hairs already turning. After reading BBFan's Mh are tighter I'm thinking maybe his are also maturing faster and the HPS will catch up on density. I'm so glad I decided to run both lights, very cool seeing different growth characteristics. Overall I definately have a bigger yield coming...by about 50% I'm guessing. Green luck 2 ya! BK

Budders Keeper said:
Howdy captain, I can't disagree with anything BBFan has said...especially the part about printed word VS. spoken word! Another thing I just noticed is the Mh seem to be maturing faster..hairs already turning. After reading BBFan's Mh are tighter I'm thinking maybe his are also maturing faster and the HPS will catch up on density. I'm so glad I decided to run both lights, very cool seeing different growth characteristics. Overall I definately have a bigger yield coming...by about 50% I'm guessing. Green luck 2 ya! BK

50% running both or with the MH?Or HPS?

captain1 said:
50% running both or with the MH?Or HPS?

BK is running both lights for the remainder of his current grow. Last he and I communicated he was going to switch to both HPS for his next grow- but he may change his mind when the final results are tallied. Time will tell.

Good luck Captain!

Latest posts

Back