Mother Nature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickFoster

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the reasoning for germinating seeds in a paper towel? With the millions of plants on this earth none of them were germinated in a paper towel. In fact, with the exception of marijuana, I have never heard of anyone germinating seeds for any other types of plants in a paper towel. Mandala seeds has a great germination section on their website - and they adamantly advise against the paper towel method. Handling a germinated seed can not only cause potential damage to the tiny baby but it also opens the door for fungus and bacteria which can cause damping off. I belong to several forums and people are always having germination problems - there are several just on the first page of this one. I realize that a lot of people use this method and have success - but why chance it? I germinate in rockwool and have nearly 100% success - assuming they were viable seeds to start with. Last time I looked in a forest there were no paper towels laying around - why mess with mother nature?

cause it works?
i germinate in paper towel and have nearly 100% success - assuming they were viable seeds to start with :)p).
so how is that chancing it?

there's so many differing opinions on how to grow MJ.. you just have to read and try for yourself. or stick with what's working for you.. paper towel has never failed me, so why would i abandon it?

*oh and BTW, my mom is an avid gardener, and i remember she would sprout almost all of her seeds in paper towel too. so yes, other plants work with it aswell.

its all personal preference..
i used to germ in paper towel but now
i dont like having to pick up the delicate
germed seed and plant it when its really
easily damaged. I just germ in soil now

HippyInEngland said:
Are you growing inside?

:peace:
Yes I do grow inside. And to respond to the other guy's statements - I know it is a personal preference and that the experienced growers have it down to a science. I'm not suggesting that you give up whats working for you - all I'm saying is that germination is the most crucial time and many things can go wrong if not done properly. The new growers are the ones that have trouble with it - hell even some of the older ones. I don't know how many times I've read that "the root came out 1/4" and died". Just seems that new growers would have less germ problems if they didn't use the paper towel method.

thats true for the most part
its just about letting everyone see what
works best for them. if they kill theyre seeds, theyll learn.

MickFoster said:
Yes I do grow inside.

MickFoster said:
why mess with mother nature?

A bit of a contradiction. :rolleyes:

Just info, I germ in a shot glass, 100% germ rate.

I pick seeds up with my fingers and put them into soil.

None die.

Well, apart from temps of 125 drying the seedling when I was out :p

I understand what your saying, and its a great point to raise :aok:

Seed shells need to absorb moisture to soften and let the moisture into the husk to let the tap root expand, soaking as I do or using the paper towels speeds this act up.

Some seed stock is not always fresh, so putting direct to rockwool or into soil can be a waste of time and energy plus materials.

A visual acknowledgement of a viable seed removes doubt and lets the grower know they are planting a living seed.

HippyInEngland - I appreciate the whitty sarcasm regarding the growing inside and the mother nature thing. LOL. If marijuana were legal I'd have my backyard filled with them, but until it's legalized I prefer to grow inside.

I have no option but to grow outside, I grow in a greenhouse and have in 1 way or another mostly grown with Nature, I do not control anything, I cannot bend Natures rules.

What I have learnt to do is to work with Nature :)

I envy people who can grow inside, but then again some envy me.

Swings and roundabouts.

My home is a hive of activity non stop, inside growing never has, and I doubt it ever will be a viable choice.

I enjoy what I do, I harvest less than inside growers, I lose more plants than inside growers.

I smoke Natures gift.

And at this time of my life, I would have it no other way.

i play sink and float when i soak the seeds for 24hrs before putting in soil or paper(most will germ in the water)

seeds that float are usually nonviable. i haven't had too too many empty pots come up.

Yo Ho shipmates,

Most of us have tried all sorts of methods to get those beans to sprout. Back in the day, and I'm talking back when I saw the last dinosaur, beans were more shared than you might imagine.
Mostly cause the only way to get good beans was if you snagged a lid or two you might, (often enough) get enough stems and seeds that you don't need, LOL.... ( Acapulco Gold is bad a_s weed ) how many of you remember that old jingle, Ha-ha man those were good days.

Well, since those rare beans were so hard to come by lots of folks would try to, ( as HippyInEngland said ) get them to sprout using water, or later on a damp paper towel. There is a twist to this though. Some folks said that you should throw away any beans that float. PLEASE DON"T, I have had many of those floaters sprout. Compare seeds, and look closely at them, some have really tough shells.

There are a few dangers to sprouting with the paper towel method so you need to be well informed as to how do you do it. First, and formost is to not use chlorinated tap water, use distilled, and even then check that your paper towels don't have ink flowers and such. Some paper towels also were made with bleach impregnated into the fibers, so this is a no-no. Lastly you might consider dipping the paper towel into very hot water to remove any possible contaminates that might get on to it. Do this carefully cause the hot water will have a tendancy to dissolve you paper towel.

This practice was also started as a means to try and insure that the majority of your plants started off at the same time, or there abouts.
I have had many beans that I accidently killed, my hands are not the small, fine tuned, steady one's that are needed to be very delicate with handling a baby sprout, so I do it differently.
I prefer soil grows over-all, and I place each bean that I'm going to sprout into a plug of peat.
These compressed plugs will super expand when you soak them with enough moisture. I place the beans 1/4 inch deep and then just keep the plugs very moist. This method works well for me, and I'm satisfied.

That's where we are all at nowadays. We find our ways of doing things, and try to be satisfied, or try new things in hopes that the long run turn out will be in our favor.

The idea is to recognize that this applies to all of us, and if someone feels that their method is the shazang, then sharing the ideas is good for all around.

Here we talk, share, encourage, and try new things out. I am currently running a carefully documented grow of W/W under both LED, and CFL. The CFL's are 4 foot tubes, six of them, plus the LED is a 90 watt Illuminator. Truth is my babies are going super, and have never looked so good to me, but that doesn't mean that everyone should want what I like right ? so we keep on sharing as we learn.

Good Growing to all here, and may everyone end up with a bumper crop.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

Although I'm pretty new to rockwool, I have to admit I'm becoming a big fan of germing in it. In the last 2 weeks I've germed 3 watermelon, 2 basil and 1 satori in it :). I just drop the seed in the hole, close it up and put them in my Wal*Mart $4 seedling tray with humidity dome :).

Latest posts

Back