Mushrooms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's very interesting OC. I've read of different mushrooms that are extremely rare and expensive. Truffles are one example, as you said.

As long as we all keep it to non-psychoactive type mushrooms, this thread will be very interesting.

As with other drugs like narcotics and such, we don't allow the discussion of anything but MJ here on this site.

I know OC understands this, but I want to make sure everyone else does before someone slips into that train of thought.

We aren't trying to police anyone. It's been a site rule since it's inception.

A casual reference to other drugs is allowed, but no pro-usage or sales.

If anyone just can't understand why we do this, PM me and let me know. I'll explain it.

Thanks to all of you for helping make this a great Marijuana site.

Stoney.

Truffles.. those are the ones found underground by pigs? I've read they're still only found in the wild, because they're impossible to cultivate indoors.. anyone heard something different?

I've been considering a similar project, but I'll probably start off with grocery store strains. Check out this link for an easy way to snag a spore from practically any mushroom: http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/Mushroom/spore.htm
(I'd put the print in a jar, instead of on cardboard, if I was to use the print in a syringe)

I'll be following this thread :)

i almost got a $30 burger that was garnished with truffles, very thinly sliced, but i missed the window as they were only available for a short time. but i would love to have tried it.

YOU BASTARDS! How could you? Look how damn cute they are. How can you sleep after knowing you will be eating these gentle, but lovable folk?

AWWW Shucks hick!!!!! You took away my mushroom kingdom people. :(

Seriously though, that portable green house in that link looks rather tasty.

I used to grow mushrooms when I lived in a farmhouse. We had a barn that allowed us to create racks to use for button mushrooms. We grew so many that we sold them to one of the local grocery stores and people loved them. They were sold out almost as soon as they stocked the shelves. Only problem was I didn't make much money with them.

At that time, I researched growing some of the more exotic types of food mushrooms but found that they tend to be very difficult to grow. In some cases, the mycelium can take three or four years to get started and any little problem during that time and it all goes phhhhtttt. In other cases -- particularly with wild varieties like morels -- it was very hit or miss as to whether or not you could even get them to start. I know they sell morel kits now -- all you need are some elm logs or bark -- but even then it is very unreliable. I visit several mushroom bulletin boards because I am an avid mushroom hunter in the spring and just haven't seen a whole lot about cultivation of the more exotic mushrooms. I think they tend to be very hard to grow. That's probably why they are so expensive to buy.

why do those mushroom culture kits look they are tubs, tupperware and hydroton?

I miss mushrooms.....haven't had them since i've had small children in the house..

wait..........how did they get here???????????????????????

Opencountry said:
Because they are. The hard part is getting your culture started.

You just have to keep everything absolutely sterile. To get the culture growing, make yourself an isolation box. Take a cardboard box and cut two holes in the side big enough to get your hands into and then tape rubber gloves to the holes. Cover the top with Saran Wrap or some similar plastic wrap. When you want to work on the culture, put in your petrie dish, your materials, and a can of Lysol. Then tape your Saran Wrap back down. About a half-hour before you start working, give the Lysol a spray -- don't overdo it and don't let the Saran Wrap get all filmed up or it will make it hard to see and the Lysol will drip all over everything. When you are done with your petrie dish, cover it back up. You can either take it out of the box and put it somewhere safe, or you can leave it in there until the culture gets going. Once the agar is covered with mycelium, you don't have to worry as much about contamination.

Latest posts

Back