My first GROW ( all on the cheap) less than $100.oo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the 2 plants i topped are doing well . they both showed new growth by day 2 or 3 and today are looking good . I was worried because of the lack of lumens in thier closet , but so far so good . i hope they bush out . here is a couple of pics of those .

APRIL 23 - 07 014 (5).jpg

APRIL 23 - 07 014 (6).jpg

APRIL 23 - 07 014 (9).jpg

Well it's been 20 days since they first popped thier little heads out , well some of them anyways . Some popped on April 3rd others on the 4th . So i would roughly say these are 20 days old . They have changed lights and cabs. but all seems to be going well considering . I flushed group #1 the other night using straight distilled water that i bought , let get room temp , and used to water . I pulled them from the cab and drenched them . when drippin stopped i put them back . Im bak on my normal schedule of feeding now . The root growth on group #1 seems to be going nuts . I can see this cause of my makeshift pots ( they are clear on the bottom ) good for this reason . So i'm going to back off on the superthrive and start using it sparingly. The stems are also taking off like mad . But thats good cause then when the BIG buds get here they can hold em up . Here are a few new pics . Nothing much else has changed . Just a wait and watch game now . Enjoy !!! & PEACE:D

APRIL 23 - 07 014 (2).jpg

APRIL 23 - 07 014 (3).jpg

APRIL 23 - 07 014.jpg

APRIL 23 - 07 014 (16).jpg

APRIL 23 - 07 014 (1).jpg

Nice Set-up Looks Great What Dose Your Temp's. Stay At?

Comatoked said:
Nice Set-up Looks Great What Dose Your Temp's. Stay At?

Well comatoked when the cabinet is shut its 72 degrees at root level and about 78 or so at the top of the plants ! I use 2 thermometers in there to tell this . When the cab is open and or fans are on it drops to about 68 degrees . I run the fans every evening for fresh air . Cab has built in fans but not using them much at the moment as to they are more for when i goto flower and they get all stinky , and i want to decrease humidity for bud density . PEACE:D

After decideing to make my own pots from 2 liter pepsi bottles ( cause i'm cheap ) i realized the damn things were clear after i transplanted :mad: and thought this would not be good for the roots . So right after the transplant i wrapped them in duct tape . Of course right? why not duct tape . Anyway this solved my problem of light getting in the pots . But i then realized the bottoms are still clear !!! I can see the roots that i never would have seen if they werent clear . This got me thinking this would be good for newbies ( like me ) to be able to see the root growth and catch it before its to late and they get root bound . In a standard pot you cant see the roots , so i would think if they got root locked and stopped growing a newb might not know why . The pepsi bottle , i can just pick it up and look at the roots !! kinda cool to see . Anyways i'm saying this because i think the superthrive i'm using is making the roots grow like wildfire and my conservative watering habbits are probably helping this too .But i realize i may need to transplant sooner than right before flower which was my initial plan . So bigger pots means FEWER plants in my metal cab . and money i didnt want to spend if i didnt have to . 3 gallon pots are lookin real good right now . ohwell this was just a thought !!! another one of my " stoned moment theories " . You will see more of these in the future i'm sure . :ccc:

PEACE:D

There you go man. Good call. You should try to wait till you sex the plants so you can decide which ones don't need to be transplanted then. Save some dough, you know? If you look at the 16 oz cup grows, I think that will debunk the theory of plants being root bound. ;)

Lookin great so far, those babies are coming along nicely. As for the two litre bottle idea, arent roots not supposed to get exposed to the light? Also if you use regular pots with drainage holes you would get the same effect would you not?

[quote=Jbong]Lookin great so far, those babies are coming along nicely.

hey Jbong thanks for stopping by and thanks for the compliment !

As for the two litre bottle idea, arent roots not supposed to get exposed to the light?

Yes they shouldnt see the light , thats why i wrapped them with black duct tape . All except the bottoms are covered.

Also if you use regular pots with drainage holes you would get the same effect would you not?[/quote

Well Jbong the bottoms of my pots are totaly clear , not just little holes . Which lets me see alot of root growth you wouldnt with a standard pot .Again this is just my opinion & i'm a newb . I like it and i think it will work for me . I know experienced growers can grow in a small cup , quite frankly i think it's amazing to see , but im a newb and need all the help i can get . PEACE:D

Well here is an update . Things were going great but have since taken a turn . Group # 1 is having a few plants with troubles . it started with 1 plant now 3 or 4 . Leaves turning yellow with rust colored spots on the bottom few leaves . Backed off of the nutes totaly and started superthrive again . still growing well but scaring me .posted it in the sick plants forum , please take a look there too !

APRIL 29 - 07 001.jpg

APRIL 29 - 07 002.jpg

APRIL 29 - 07 003.jpg

Well it has been one month since they popped thier heads up . They moved at first, changed lighting , locations , but are 1 month old . about 3 weeks since being in better light and in the cab. . Well things are a little wierd here at the farm . The only plants affected witht the spots are group#1 , which honestly baffles me :confused: . Both groups get everything the same , with few exceptions .Yet group #2 looks great , a little stretched maybe but thats due to the lights in there . I have since flushed Group#1 with str8 water and i dont see much change yet . Growth has slowed noticably since the beginning . I hope this will all come around . A few of the plants are on thier 8th node and are about 7" - 8" tall soil to tip .i would like to get this fixed before i flower . Well here are some new pics taken just a few minutes ago . Let me know what you folks think PLEASE ......

MAY 4th 07 (1).jpg

MAY 4th 07 (3).jpg

MAY 4th 07 (4).jpg

MAY 4th 07 (12).jpg

MAY 4th 07.jpg

MAY 4th 07 (2).jpg

Well group #2 is doing very well . the 2 plants i topped are growing great . These plants are doing a little bit of stretching but i know this is due to lack of lumens . I am contiplating putting a few of these outside . here are a few pics of this group taken just moments ago . Enjoy and please TELL ME WHAT YA THINK . i can take it !!

MAY 4th 07 (8).jpg

MAY 4th 07 (9).jpg

MAY 4th 07 (10).jpg

MAY 4th 07 (11).jpg

MAY 4th 07 (6).jpg

MAY 4th 07 (7).jpg

^^ Nice plants. And fingerprints ;) I would delete that pic...

Hey RollingStoned77, Looking Good So Far...Just a Couple of Things. #1. Are The Plants Affected By "Rust" Only Plants that you had in the Plastic 2-litters? We Found Useing Plastic 2-litters we had Alot of "Rust" Problems, The Spots on the leaves looked like Dryed Blood. We Flushed, We Re-potted, The Spots Remained. Finaly, We took the Problem Leaves Off, No more Problems! Looking at Your Pic's, it Looks More Like a Mold / Fungus Problem, You Might be having Humidty Problems/ Or Air-Curculation, Or Maybe you Just Need to Re-move the Lower 2-3 Sets of leaves of your Plants.{ You Don't Want the Very Bottom Of Plant to have alot of "Bushy" Around the Base, Lower Leaves/Growth are not going to Grow anything Worthy because they are not going to get that much Light.} If Your Lowest Leaves are touching wet dirt, They'll Mold, Remove Them. Check-out the "Lighting" Forum, About "CFL's", and Low-Wattage MH/HSD's. And Good-Luck, We'll All be Watching and wishing "GREEN MOJO" for ya, CaptainViper.

CaptainViper said:
Hey RollingStoned77, Looking Good So Far...Just a Couple of Things. #1. Are The Plants Affected By "Rust" Only Plants that you had in the Plastic 2-litters? We Found Useing Plastic 2-litters we had Alot of "Rust" Problems, The Spots on the leaves looked like Dryed Blood. We Flushed, We Re-potted, The Spots Remained. Finaly, We took the Problem Leaves Off, No more Problems! Looking at Your Pic's, it Looks More Like a Mold / Fungus Problem, You Might be having Humidty Problems/ Or Air-Curculation, Or Maybe you Just Need to Re-move the Lower 2-3 Sets of leaves of your Plants.

Hey CaptainViper , thanks for the help ! You might have hit the nail on the head . Yes the spots are only on the ones in plastic pepsi bottles , and yes it looks like dried blood . i have flushed these plants several times and it seems to be helping a little . I plan to transplant them very soon also .As for the mold fungus issue ? I wouldnt be suprised . This metal cabinet sat around for GOD knows how long before i found it , and i could only clean it so much , before i painted it and prepped it for my grow .
i would not be suprised if there is a little fungus in the air also , because the WHOLE grow is in my basement . I need to run my fans more often also ,the air gets very stail smelling in there . AGAIN thanks viper . i'm sending some reputation your way !!!!!

DLtoker said:
^^ Nice plants. And fingerprints ;) I would delete that pic...

Hey thanks for stopping by the farm DL .! i appreciatte it ! I agree on the fingerprints so i deleted the pic and went into paint and ALTERED the pic and re posted it ! I never even thought about it !! LOL thanks for the nice words also !!!

Rollingstoned your grow is coming along nicely and don't worry too much about the little stuff. If you had no problems whatsoever than something would be wrong. No perfect grows just perfect smoke! :D

Well it has been a few days since my last post in the journal . Things are doing much better . I went and purchased some new 10" pots for $1.97 each at wallyworld .I replanted only 3 of the best looking plants from group one . by best looking i mean they all had the spots and yellowing so..... it was between the ones with the least yellowing . I transplanted those 3 with some plain potting soil . I trimmed off the leaves that looked the worst , and watered generously with plain water .I left 2 plants in thier pepsi bottle pots and left them in the metal cabinet with these 3 , the others went outside my house in a nice secluted spot . The ones outside were doing great the first day !! they loved thier new home . Next day i woke up and went to check on them and they were gone . Turns out my dog dug them up . so now i have 5 in the metal cabinet and 8 in the pantry ( GROUP 2 ) . I am planning on putting the 5 in the cab, on 12/12 soon to see what i have . I want to do group #2 as a Geurilla grow down an old dirt road by my house . Plan on the using my pantry cupboard for clones and seedlings in the future . HERE is some new pics of repotted group #1 . I may be leaving out alot of info here , please excuse me cause i'm really HIGH , wake n bake ya know .

MAY   14th  2007 001.jpg

MAY   14th  2007 002.jpg

MAY   14th  2007 003.jpg

MAY   14th  2007 004.jpg

MAY   14th  2007 009.jpg

MAY   14th  2007 010.jpg

Latest posts

Back