My very first grow and problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unseenghost

Reaction score
Ok this is my first grow, so I'll give as much info as possible.

First I know that there are a lot of things that I have done wrong. Hopefully though I can change any damage done. My grow closet is 2.5 feet squared by at least 6 foot tall. I have a shelf that I am growing on at 40 inches from the floor. Leaving 34 inches to the top of the closet. I have just four plants started. Lighting currently is not optimum but under 750 lumens stick light (floro) to start then about 1 1/2 weeks into it I moved to three 26 watt CFL. That bumped the lumens up to 3600 but with only 2700K. So off to the store I went thought I got a good deal 3 46 watt CFL. 8100 Lumens but still only 2700K. So now I have my tracking number on the 46 Watt CFL at 5000K with the same lumens. It's been at least 3 weeks since they poked up out of the soil and still only 2.5 to 3 inches tall (pics to follow). Is this acceptable?

Also there is one with a real bad problem. Yellow and crispy leaves. The lights have always been 2 to 3 inches away. I also just gave them a 1/4 nutrient feeding. 30-10-10 was the closest to anything I have read. Says it is good for acid loving plants. Miracle Gro Azalea, Camellia, and Rhododendron plant food. The other three look real good except they are small. Oh and I just got a ph meter and am having a bit of trouble with it. Most of the soil is around 7.0 and below.

Any help would be great.

DSC02175.JPG

DSC02176.JPG

DSC02177.JPG

DSC02178.JPG

DSC02179.JPG

DSC02180.JPG

DSC02181.JPG

DSC02183.JPG

DSC02184.JPG

No I don't think so cause it was that way before any nutes. and the lights were not more then 2-3 inches. Not trying to be an *** but no nutes till last night. damage was done a week ago.

unseenghost said:
No I don't think so cause it was that way before any nutes. and the lights were not more then 2-3 inches. Not trying to be an *** but no nutes till last night. damage was done a week ago.

well if you say its not nute burn, maybe its lack of nutrients? looks like some kind of deficiency... up your feeding schedule a little

That might be it cause that plant has to be atleast 3 weeks old and no nutes

What kind of soil are they planted in?

It has been a while since I grew in soil (except out in a pasture), but I think that Expert Gardener soil has nutes in it. It has fast-release nutes *and* slow-release nutes. That soil alone may be too hot for your young plants which could be why you started to see the problem even before you added 1/4 strength nutes.

OTOH, it looks like the new growth coming in on top is pretty healthy, though I can't tell for sure from the pics. And your other three are doing OK, so you may not have anything to worry about for now. I'm pretty much into hydro right now, but there are some really experienced soil growers here who will probably chime in tomorrow with better advice.

yeaaa again that looks more like a deficiency than nute burn.... i have used either MiracleGro pre-nuted soil or something similarly shitty every time i've grown and never saw a sign of nute burn in the early stages. everyone is quick to point the finger at those cheap soils, but they arent thaaat bad.

and besides, nute burning starts at the tips of the leaves and looks a little different... what you have looks like its spreading from the center outwards, and looks like a breakdown or mutation or something, which would be caused by a deficiency

thats my opinion anyway

oh, and i would try and stay away from those cheap nutes, they are good for generic plants you dont want as much control over, but when it comes to your bud you want the best of everything (i do at least). check ebay for cheap advanced nutrients, botanicare, general hydroponics, etc.... theres some good deals on there and your plants will really appreciate it.

It may be from the type of light ur using, cuz i know u need 6500k for veg since it has more blue which is used in vegging, and the 2700k u can keep once u start flowering cuz it has more red spectrum. Not sure if thats the problem with ur plants, just another input for u to consider..

Thanks for all the help waiting for new lights hopefully by tuesday. Untill then I have little choice. Although I am seeing some (little) new growth on all the plants. So maybe they will make it.

Latest posts

Back