Nanolux Dimmable Ballast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta9

Psychonaut
Reaction score
Is anyone out there using and/or familiar with these ballasts?

hXXp://www.amazon.com/Nanolux-Dimmable-Digital-Light-Ballast/dp/B00B5HZOSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1399122869&sr=1-1&keywords=Nanolux+Dimmable+Digital++600w

Reading through the operating instructions it states...
.."Do not use with lamps referred to as "retro" or "conversion" lamps."

What would be the possible reason for this?

I don't know, but I never use conversion bulbs anyway. Can't imagine why anyone would if they didn't have to they--they just do not have lumen output that HPS and MH bulbs have that are not conversion.

Basically it means that you need to get the bulbs that are made for electronic ballasts. The Digilux bulbs are excellent for this. I use them and love them as do my plants :)

I don't know, but I never use conversion bulbs anyway. Can't imagine why anyone would if they didn't have to they--they just do not have lumen output that HPS and MH bulbs have that are not conversion.

OK I did'nt know that- thanks:)

Basically it means that you need to get the bulbs that are made for electronic ballasts. The Digilux bulbs are excellent for this. I use them and love them as do my plants :)

OK right I think I see-so "retro"/"conversion" bulbs are designed for magnetic ballasts and digital ballasts can't use them?

Bummer. That really cuts my options down on sourcing bulbs locally.

So nothing here is really appropriate for use with my ballast?

http://www.easygrow.co.nz/15-bulbs

Unless I go with the option of HPS all in one bulb I suppose...

I had originally planned to veg with MH and flower with HPS.
That way I could veg at 400W and boost to 600W to flower.

Bummer. That really cuts my options down on sourcing bulbs locally.http://www.easygrow.co.nz/15-bulbs

Maybe I don't understand but if you are buying brand new bulbs (not old used ones), I believe they should work in that ballast you posted. I'm not even sure you can buy those conversion bulbs any more. I read some posts where there were problems with some bulbs (specifically Hortilux) when the digital ballasts first came out but those posts were 2 or 3 years old and other threads I read (more recent) claim that all those issues are pretty much gone.

So, any 400w new bulb should work in that ballast, MH or HPS. Buy one of each.

Or, did I misunderstand?

Reading through the operating instructions it states...
.."Do not use with lamps referred to as "retro" or "conversion" lamps."

What would be the possible reason for this?

Also, just to take a stab at answering this one....

I was doing a little reading about the difference between the older HPS and MH ballasts. It seems the sequence and power used to "kick start" the lamp were different from MH to HPS.

Something about pulse start and probe start. More jabber about the number of volts it takes to start a MH vs an HPS.

An HPS "conversion" bulb was probably desinged to start with the sequence and voltage that the MH ballast was sending.

So, small wonder that these old ballasts and bulbs were not interchangeable.

Apparently, the new digital ballasts and bulbs have worked out all those incompatibility problems.

THG i was just looking at a conversion bulb 940watt which had a rating for 130,000 lumen http://www.eyehortilux.com/products/conversion/PerformanceSpecs/nht940bhtlen/61825
which in reality means nothing
If lumens were an accurate measure of how much light is usable for a plant, then why is the "theoretical maximum" luminous efficacy and highest lumen-per-watt ratio a GREEN spectrum light???????????????

luminous efficacy has units of lumens per watt (lm/W). Photopic luminous efficacy of radiation has a maximum possible value of 683 lm/W, for the case of monochromatic light at a wavelength of 555 nm (green)
Which is where humans "see" the best, along with yellow)

But here is the best part....... It just so happen to be in the spectrum that plants REFLECT??

Plants "see" light differently than human beings do. As a result, lumens, lux or footcandles should not be used to measure light for plant growth since they are measures used for human visibility. More correct measures for plants are PAR watts, PPF PAR and YPF PAR, although each in itself does not tell the whole story. In addition to quantity of light, considerations of quality are important, since plants use energy in different parts of the spectrum for critical processes.

Maybe I don't understand but if you are buying brand new bulbs (not old used ones), I believe they should work in that ballast you posted. I'm not even sure you can buy those conversion bulbs any more. I read some posts where there were problems with some bulbs (specifically Hortilux) when the digital ballasts first came out but those posts were 2 or 3 years old and other threads I read (more recent) claim that all those issues are pretty much gone.

So, any 400w new bulb should work in that ballast, MH or HPS. Buy one of each.

Or, did I misunderstand?

Hi I think you understand correctly-I am buying new bulbs [not used]
Actually in my part of the world, they do still sell conversion bulbs..
My problem was that all the 400W metal halides I could find here were conversion or retro..
Anyway-I spoke to the guy at my local store and he seemed to think there is no problem in using these bulbs with my ballast-regardless of what the operating instructions for the ballast say..
He tells me they've tested them and there is no issue.

Also, just to take a stab at answering this one....

I was doing a little reading about the difference between the older HPS and MH ballasts. It seems the sequence and power used to "kick start" the lamp were different from MH to HPS.

Something about pulse start and probe start. More jabber about the number of volts it takes to start a MH vs an HPS.

An HPS "conversion" bulb was probably desinged to start with the sequence and voltage that the MH ballast was sending.

So, small wonder that these old ballasts and bulbs were not interchangeable.

Apparently, the new digital ballasts and bulbs have worked out all those incompatibility problems.

Ok thanks that seems to be the consensus- It just threw me when I read my ballast operating instructions as I was'nt aware of past incompatability issues.
I appreciate the info:)

Sorry to throw you off Delta. You should be able to use any of the bulbs that match the socket and wattage. The key is that the older style bulbs that are made ffor the magnetic ballasts will not last as long as the newer bulbs that are made to stand up to the high frequency oscillations off the digital ballasts. IF you can get the digital bulbs then those will work best, give stronger light, and last longer, but if you can't get them then you get what you can. I know Hamster Lewis only buys cheap bulbs and changes them out more often. So you should be alright with what you have. I personally wouldn't use the conversion bulbs but they most likely will work if that is all you can get.

Sorry to throw you off Delta. You should be able to use any of the bulbs that match the socket and wattage. The key is that the older style bulbs that are made ffor the magnetic ballasts will not last as long as the newer bulbs that are made to stand up to the high frequency oscillations off the digital ballasts. IF you can get the digital bulbs then those will work best, give stronger light, and last longer, but if you can't get them then you get what you can. I know Hamster Lewis only buys cheap bulbs and changes them out more often. So you should be alright with what you have. I personally wouldn't use the conversion bulbs but they most likely will work if that is all you can get.

Aha I see. Thanks for the info there Hushpuppy. Im looking a little further afield now to source my bulbs-I can find a few MH brands but is tougher to find the ones in the 5500k range which you mentioned on an earlier thread of mine..
One possible option for me is the SunMaster Cool Deluxe 400W MH, or SunMaster Blue Ice Lamp 400W MH -both in the 5500k range.
If that falls through-can I PM you to arrange to send me some iPower bulbs?:)

You can pm me and we can work out something to send them to you. You typed in 5500K but what you want is the 6500K. I don't know iff that was just a typo or not but make sure you are looking for 6500K :)

You can pm me and we can work out something to send them to you. You typed in 5500K but what you want is the 6500K. I don't know iff that was just a typo or not but make sure you are looking for 6500K :)

Keep in mind the plant does not care what color the bulb is (5500K, 6500K, or 10000000K) What matters in the spectrum that the light puts out. While the color (kelvin) usually means Veg = Blue / Flower = Yellow. That isn't always the case. Note what kelvin range full spectrum lamps are (hint: their blue 6000k) and people veg to flower with that light with perfect results.

Bottom Line focus on the spectrum not the color (kelvin range)

Latest posts

Back