Need a good stable soil recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaiant

Reaction score
I need some help to find a balanced batch of soil mix for my upcoming plants I currently have six seedlings under the T5. I have been using the GH 3 part nutes but also am really interested in doing a solid more organic mix. I thought I'd start with sunshine for soil and add to it. I'd like to mix a large batch this time so I'll have enough to fill six 5 gal buckets for the girls. The materials I have to do the mix are listed and any feedback is appreciated. I'm needing a proportionate mix to one bale of Sunshine.

Promix Sunshine Soil
Coco
BlackGold worm Castings
Vermiculite
Kelp Meal
Garden Lime pelletized
Roots Organics Nitro Bat Guano

Ah just what I was looking for. Ty

Sunshine Mix #4, is what I use. Seems to be well liked on MP. Also use GH nutes.

You want to use perlite and not vermiculite.

While both vermiculite and perlite help loosen dense hard clay soil, they actually do opposite things in the mix. Vermiculite hold water and it makes it harder for the cannabis to go through the wet and dry cycles that it needs. Perlite aids drainage.

I really did like NV's super soil mix. I can tell you that for a good balanced soil mix that will last awhile that you are probably going to need a lot more additives that break down at different times. Just remember, like pregnancy, you either are or aren't. The addition of chemical nutes to a healthy microbe herd will kill the microbes.

Just switched to Vermicrop's vermifire , it's very nice.

7gallon smart pots are getting mixed up today(scoop is a coffee can)

5scoops vermifire
3scoops vermiworm
3scoops #4 xtra large perlite(I size the perlite to the maturity of the plant, these are 6 wks)
1cup green sand
1cup oyster shell
1/2 Mexican bat guano(10-0-0) cause these are still in veg.
1/2cup bonemeal
1(factory)scoop Great White

I would never ever make a soil mixture up without lime in it, which I don't see.

When I checked out Vermifire on Amazon, it only had 1 review, but that was a 1 start because of this: "The vermifire is not organic, even says so on the back of the bag at the bottom." You might want to check this out further. If it is correct and it is not OMRI certified organic, I would think twice about using it for an organic grow.

Great advice I already have a bale of Sunshine 4 so will use it as the base. I'm having good success with the GH nutes but need to learn and experiment with Organics not so much for the costs issues but rather for the knowledge of organics. My current grow I noticed fungus knats not many but it does annoy me I can only assume they came from the Ocean soil I'm using now I had also mixed in a few bricks of coco thinking that should have been inert. So these are good ideas to work with.

I would never ever make a soil mixture up without lime in it, which I don't see.

When I checked out Vermifire on Amazon, it only had 1 review, but that was a 1 start because of this: "The vermifire is not organic, even says so on the back of the bag at the bottom." You might want to check this out further. If it is correct and it is not OMRI certified organic, I would think twice about using it for an organic grow.

I'm using the GH nute line up, so I'm close but not organic here. I prefer to keep the control of the ph in my hands when I water.

I'm using the GH nute line up, so I'm close but not organic here. I prefer to keep the control of the ph in my hands when I water.

Lyfespan, not putting lime in the soil is a mistake. You are still going to "have control" over your pH as chemical based nutes are always pH'd. This is for the soil, not for the nutrients. I am strongly advising that you add lime to your soil mix. I am confused though, using that soil and GH nutes, I do not understand the addition of bat guano, green sand, bone meal and myco? As soon as you hit the microbes with the chemical nutes they are gone--why even add them in the first place? If you kilo the microbes, these substances will never be turned to food for the plant. There is no such thing as being "close to" organic--you either are or you aren't. LOL--kinda like being "sorta Greg".

Gaiant, I just like growing organic for bud I am growing strictly for meds. And like you I just wanted to know more and there is a whole lot to know. I always have GO nutes on hand as I have never been able to make my super soil go the full distance. These are the organic nutes put out by GH. Also Espoma makes some great products that you can often buy at regular gardening stores and big box stores. I am particularly partial to Bio-Tone and Plant-tone. But I use a lot of their other products, too--perlite, meals, lime, etc. Remember that organic means 100% organic, with everything being organic.

Lyfespan, not putting lime in the soil is a mistake. You are still going to "have control" over your pH as chemical based nutes are always pH'd. This is for the soil, not for the nutrients. I am strongly advising that you add lime to your soil mix. I am confused though, using that soil and GH nutes, I do not understand the addition of bat guano, green sand, bone meal and myco? As soon as you hit the microbes with the chemical nutes they are gone--why even add them in the first place? If you kilo the microbes, these substances will never be turned to food for the plant. There is no such thing as being "close to" organic--you either are or you aren't. LOL--kinda like being "sorta Greg".

I do do things a bit different don't I THG, here's my thinking here, I love the soil to do its thing for as long as it can, but we all know that's not long, these girls eat more than any of us is realizing. So I let them devour everything in the soil, when I see the lil yellowing in the new growth, I start the feeding. Girls probably get 2 GH feedings per stage of life(before transplanting)so I'm using half the nutes now too. As far as the lime goes, I will re check my meter and see where my run off is, I have never had any issues with lockout, so I have never worried about the lime. Btw my watering is always with 5.0-5.5
Gaiant, I just like growing organic for bud I am growing strictly for meds. And like you I just wanted to know more and there is a whole lot to know. I always have GO nutes on hand as I have never been able to make my super soil go the full distance. These are the organic nutes put out by GH. Also Espoma makes some great products that you can often buy at regular gardening stores and big box stores. I am particularly partial to Bio-Tone and Plant-tone. But I use a lot of their other products, too--perlite, meals, lime, etc. Remember that organic means 100% organic, with everything being organic.
:volcano vaporizer::vap-bobby_on_the_be

Gads I need to check my runoff the plants appear to be doing well but I always water 6.5 ph corrected nutes in water after the mix has sat for awhile in bucket. Last time I checked it was in low 6 range or 6.2 .. I think? But then I'm not using organic yet. I'm not seeing any indication of poor Ph range yet but I'll check it next watering. I'm usually a little Ph high with GH nutes until I add Beastie Bloom that drops it down to 6.2 so I up it to the 6.5 now that's in the existing Ocean soil. The next batch are coming along nicely and they will go into the organic mix. So, watering a lower Ph is ok depending on the soil compilation 5.5 min Ph? I get that confused with growing hydro but it makes sense no matter what the medium. I'll check my runoff soon and see where I'm at there. The seedlings are in the sunshine 4 with coco and seem to be digging that mix but they get nutes. Thanks for the advice and I picked up the perlite today and will use instead of vermiculight.

I am not a real big fan of lime. I use it but very sparingly.
I don't like the compaction qualities of it. Also to much calcium causes numerous problems.

I'm doing sub cool and vaders super soil in the spring time. I have 80% of the stuff already. It has the whole process on YouTube

Keep the control of the water pH in your hands all you want, something to do I guess. But, pretty much wasted effort. So is checking run-off.

The pH of water has at best a very temporary effect on a soils pH. Soil on the other hand has a huge effect on the waters pH, bringing it to the soils pH.

This is why you should add the lime and put the meter away. I finally took the batteries out of mine 2 years ago. The meter hasn't been used in over 3 years.

Sounds like you are trying to do soil with a hydro mindset and that's just not going to work all that well. Pick one or the other and pay attention to THG.

Wet

Keep the control of the water pH in your hands all you want, something to do I guess. But, pretty much wasted effort. So is checking run-off.

The pH of water has at best a very temporary effect on a soils pH. Soil on the other hand has a huge effect on the waters pH, bringing it to the soils pH.

This is why you should add the lime and put the meter away. I finally took the batteries out of mine 2 years ago. The meter hasn't been used in over 3 years.

Sounds like you are trying to do soil with a hydro mindset and that's just not going to work all that well. Pick one or the other and pay attention to THG.

Wet
Noted and will research more, thanx

Latest posts

Back