Need watering ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ston-loc

Reaction score
So check it out. All of my plants are literally needing insane amounts of water. So check it out. The front left one in the first pic for example. This pic was last night like 5pm'ish. I had watered that seven gallon smart pot with 2gallons of ph'd water around 3pm. 2nd pic is what it looked like getting home from work at 330pm today. :eek:

Any of you have some kind of system set up? Like a drip system or something of the sort? I'm open to ideas. I mean, watering twice a day seems like it's going to be a huge pain. AND it's only JUNE!!!

56.JPG

57.JPG

Also, it's not just that one plant. All 5 are like this.

You need much, much larger pots my friend. Or stick them in the ground. Either way your not moving these things come Sept.

My yard dirt is garbage, and would need to be totally worked over to plant in the ground. Larger pots I guess is an option, but i dunno...
No thoughts on watering with the current issue?

Also, last season I went with all of them in the white 5 gallon paint buckets and was still only watering once a day to day and a half in full flower. This Satori is super thirsty! But growing beautifully.

It is true she drinks more than any other plant that i have grown. Get some big plastic saucers under her. Water her well (over water) in the morning. If there is still water in them when you come home dump it out for the night, but I bet there won't be and standing water in your saucers.

Hmm, that's easily doable. Well not the morning part. I leave for work hella early, haha. Pretty much the reasoning for the post. If I wasnt working I wouldnt trip on watering twice daily. I'm just not sure even with the little bit in saucers will be enough. I agree that I don't think there would be any water when I get home from work. That will atleast help though, and I have 3 or 4 in the garage. I'll try that for the time being.
Any thoughts on watering systems? I know I've read on here some of you going on vacation and having wick or drip systems while you are gone.

Bigger pots will help. Can you shade them in the hot afternoon sun?

You may just have to try some things.

You can go to Home depot and just grab the watering spikes, some black 1/4" tubing, a pump, splitter and a timer and have it pushing water in no time. Sure you could find a DIY on youtube. Pretty common. Figuring out the pumping cycles takes a few days though.

Yeah, I can move them to a spot that hits shade earlier. Good idea! Bigger pots would be good too. I just really wasn't expecting this amazing amount of growth! 6 footer was my largest last year. I literally have my back neighbor 10 feet away if they stand at the fence, hahaha. Not sure how this is gonna pan out :rofl: they mind their own, but not sure about having 10 footers :eek:

Cool, thanks NC! I'll hit the home depot and see what I can find. I have a 33gal can I refill to have ph'd water available. I'd assume I'd just have a pump inline with a hose to it? Just never done anything like that before.

ston-loc said:
Cool, thanks NC! I'll hit the home depot and see what I can find. I have a 33gal can I refill to have ph'd water available. I'd assume I'd just have a pump inline with a hose to it? Just never done anything like that before.

They have it all there. Be careful though. While one could thrive like Satori, the other could be drowning. Downfalls to self watering too.

Oh. And FYI. You need to prepare for something much larger than 33gal bro. Come end of season, they will drink that in a day man. Start stocking more of the depot $12, 33gal ones or get yourself something huge. Esp if you must PH your water. You will want something very very large to sustain those plants on a auto watering set-up.

I used to use a 550gal old hot tub shell for my nute mix and pump from that.

4 are Satori, and one is Beyond the Brain, a Satori cross. So far they are all pretty close to the same watering schedule of daily. As long as 33 gallons is enough for a day, I can refill and ph the can again daily. As of now, watering daily, the 33gallon can is lasting about 3 days, and I'll freshly mix nutrients when I feed them. Was doing every other water, but have dropped it down to once every 4 waterings. I dig hand watering, but I'm just not home enough for this. Maybe get a few more 33gallon cans to have a few ready and balanced. My tap ph is in the low 7's, so it's not way out of range. Thanks for the input man.

ston-loc said:
My yard dirt is garbage, and would need to be totally worked over to plant in the ground. Larger pots I guess is an option, but i dunno...
No thoughts on watering with the current issue?

Also, last season I went with all of them in the white 5 gallon paint buckets and was still only watering once a day to day and a half in full flower. This Satori is super thirsty! But growing beautifully.

Doesnt matter what your yard dirt is.
Dig holes for the pots and pack them tightly around with soil. They will maintain water better just doing that.
Can even wet the surrounding dirt and it will probably help secure moisture for your plants longer itself.

Like our gardens. Wife has a big planter box setting up 2 feet for herbs. I have a garden. Hers above ground dries out in notime even with being 10x10. Soak my garden down and it stays wet below the surface easily until the next night or 2 if the sun isnt roasting to badly.

the size of the of plants are telling me that the bucket is too small for the root system and if not yet you are soon to be root bound---you are also likely to be losing soil each time you water---if you do not want to dig a big hole and supplement the soil than ---how bout just transplanting directly into the 33Gal trash can---fresh soil will retain the water and cut your watering way back---(don't forget to put holes in the bottom for drainage) you will still be able to move it around with a hand truck---it is also gonna continue to grow upwards---you can control the height by simply tying top branches to the sides of the buckets---or as i prefer to tie to bricks cause it makes it easier to till the soil in the bucket or just move the branches around without having to tie and untie---it's also alot neater

Spear, are you saying dig a hole, and bury the bucket in it? Am I reading that right?

Orange, I can almost gaurantee that the roots are bound already in all of them. I have five plants, and one 33gallon can right now. I'm just weighing options. Of course I could go buy some monster smart pots, or buckets. But I don't have that much soil. Or $ to spend on that much soil. Burying in the dirt just doesn't seem like it would be a benefit without a lot of tilling, and amending, unless what Spearchucker said is true. Just looking for options, cause right now I have hit a dilemma that I wasn't expecting. Keep the ideas coming! I really appreciate it!

$150 @ homeboy depot you could get another 4 trash cans, and 8 bags of soil---you'll prolly be pleased with your decision come october---:icon_smile:

Hmmmm,,,,, now you all really having me thinking a route I never even thought to go, starting this season..... I've got them currently in a FFOF, Happy Frog mix with added perlite and worm castings now. What kind of cheaper home de-pot soil would suffice if I were to do that???

you wouldn't even need to fill the all 33 gal and/or just get something 20 gal or larger to get you thru the rest of the year---

ston-loc said:
Spear, are you saying dig a hole, and bury the bucket in it? Am I reading that right?

Yes. Bury the buckets. It will act as a good insulation boundary.

Easy to test out on one before you go spending money you dont want to.

Spearchucker is right, i bet it will lower the temperature of the root ball by ten degrees or more. Good cheap idea.

Latest posts

Back