Need watering ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fine ground lime only. If not you will have probs. Peat is generally a ph of 5. Thats why lime is needed. Here in the PNW at the Depot, it comes in 10lb bag of fine ground by Lilly Miller. $6 a bag.

Hope you are readily available on Pm's haha. Haven't really looked but hope our hd's are similar in NorCal. So a ton of holes on the bottom of the totes. How high up the sides should I drill holes? Inch holes on the bottome, maybe smaller holes a third up from the bottom?

I would just do 1/2" holes 1/3 up and bottom would be fine. I almost forgot. The depot also has perlite in big bags, hopefully the small pebble size. If not your gonna need that too. I have tons of caterings and the restaurants are gearing up for summer. So I could days without checking in. Post your questions here and I or someone will see it. But that really it. Peat, perlite and lime. No real guideline to percantage of each of perlite/peat. Start at 25% perlite and 75% peat. Better to have awesome drainage though. So my guess it will be a bit more than that. GL.

LOL. Wait. Once you see how cheap it is you will never buy a pre mixed medium again. But in the future, it needs couple weeks of "cook" time to get the lime starting working.

:ciao: Ston...Those girls are gonna be BIG! Good luck.

LOL. Wait. Once you see how cheap it is you will never buy a pre mixed medium again. But in the future, it needs couple weeks of "cook" time to get the lime starting working.

Yeah...I think after this summer ole Ston-loc is going to be an Organic grower and makr own soil....cant wait to see how they react

take care and be safe

4u2sm0ke said:
Yeah...I think after this summer ole Ston-loc is going to be an Organic grower and makr own soil....cant wait to see how they react

take care and be safe

I hope so! I went organic and have never looked back.

:rofl: what the..... Rereading my hella stoned math hahaha. Gonna swing by home depot after work today and get started. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all the input :48:

No luck at home depot. Only peat moss they had was mg with time release. No Lilly miller lime either. Heading to a different store now, grr

At the fourth store, finally found peat moss. The only lime I'm finding isn't specifying "fine ground". EB Stone brand. Two of the stores carried Lilly miller brand but didn't have their lime. ???

prolly won't say fine ground---have a look at it---s/b similar to consistency of flour---

Flour?! Like it should be powdery? Eb stone brand I a sealed box and I can hear it rattle. The other stores that had it, was small rocks like 1/3 the size of bb's. None seemed powdery

flour or salt---yes---when it is poured it is dusty---don't sweat it if what you got is grainer---no biggie---you can make it work---it will just take some time to break down---never done it but don't see why you couldn't just bubble it for a while in the rezzy to break it down quicker

Didn't get any yet. Gotta go back to HD to get perlite. Finally find peat moss, and the only perlite that store had was tiny little bags. Gonna research tonight an maybe call around to see if any other stores carry the Lilly miller lime. Not enough time in the day sheesh. Still gotta prep the containers and drill drain holes

lots of this this stuff is just personal preference and i am NOT in opposition to any of NC's suggestions cause He Is one of those guys with mad skills that i can only ever hope to achieve---but---LOL i like larger perlite cause i recycle recycle soil and perlite breaks down just like everything else---so i have found that the larger pieces tend to stay around a little longer---in fact i believe NC actually uses rice hulls instead of perlite---i also drill my holes in the bottom of the bucket and never on the sides so no water is ever sitting when i over water or need to flush---that's always tripped me out---i ain't never seen a potted plant with holes on the side of the bucket till i came here---not even sure what the logic is LOL---

Yeah. Just call around. Someone will have it. You were gonna ride it out in those pots anyhow at one point. So few days wont hurt them. Mistakes are easy to fix in veg. Flower=bad thing

And yes. I use rice hulls. I didnt say that cause I though it might overwhelm you a bit. The why and how..... But if you have a brewing supply place close. They will have big bags of them. They stomp perlite. But just not as well known and readily available.

orangesunshine said:
lots of this this stuff is just personal preference and i am NOT in opposition to any of NC's suggestions cause He Is one of those guys with mad skills that i can only ever hope to achieve---but---LOL i like larger perlite cause i recycle recycle soil and perlite breaks down just like everything else---so i have found that the larger pieces tend to stay around a little longer---in fact i believe NC actually uses rice hulls instead of perlite---i also drill my holes in the bottom of the bucket and never on the sides so no water is ever sitting when i over water or need to flush---that's always tripped me out---i ain't never seen a potted plant with holes on the side of the bucket till i came here---not even sure what the logic is LOL---

Airflow to the roots, great wet to dry cycle, virtually eliminates rootbound'ness. To name a few. If your ever in Eastern Wa, visit the WSU in Pullman. The horticuluture gardens are simply amazing. The PH'D lady that runs them, only uses airpots. She has 25' sequioa trees in them and swears by them.

Hmm, maybe I'll make a few calls on that too. HD had big bad of perlite, I just didn't buy figuring the next place would too.

Aside from this newly decided venture. Plants are looking great. Still just as thirsty though. Hopefully get this all worked out soon.

call Norcal hydro and organics! im not sure where your are, theyre in redding! i was just there last weekend and they are the costco of hydro shops!

they have it all!

Hey NC, is the Lilly miller lime labeled finely ground? Is does that brand have different ones? Just so I'm clear calling places. Thanks

Latest posts

Back