new grower seeking guidance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10GBgrowMI05

Reaction score
Hey, I am a new grower I am learning through trial and error but am starting to hit the point where I'm trying to eliminate the error. I have a whole group of Jack Herrer and Blackjack that I started from seed. They are looking good. Started on Nov 10th. I have had some struggling with yellowing, drooping and now some strange bending of the leaves. I pH my water before each feed with liquid drop indicator so my guess is a slight pH variance between 5.2 and 6. I am approaching 30 days and just bumped my feed up from 1/4 tsp to a full tsp per gallon. GH 3 stage nutes and rock wool is what my food and medium are. Haven't tested run off in a while but rock wool is pretty stable. Average height of seedlings are about 4.5 inches and about 5 nodes. I want to sex them and revert them back to veg but I am wondering if I'd be best to let them go another 2 to 3 weeks before I sex them and just let them continue to flower and pull all my males. Just trying to avoid stepping up to bigger blocks. Roots are already coming out of 4x4 cube.... where should I go from here?:icon_smile:

:ciao::welcome: To the Only Place :ciao::bolt::bong:

I pH my water before each feed with liquid drop indicator so my guess is a slight pH variance between 5.2 and 6.

That is a bit more then a slight variance, which might be one cause for the yellowing.

Really need to get a pH meter for a more accurate pH reading. And a ppm/ec meter to know what strength the nutes are to do hydro more easily.

If the roots are exploding out of the 4x4 cubes either need bigger blocks or bury them in hydroton.

:welcome:
10GBgrowMI05 said:
...I have had some struggling with yellowing, drooping and now some strange bending of the leaves...
All three of those sound like nutrient problems to me. When my leaves start to bend awkwardly, i know the nutes are a little too strong for the plant.

-Leaf deficiency chart

I don't think that you are feeding your plants enough. They are over 4 weeks old. I would be giving them 3 tsp of grow, 2 tsp of micro, and 1 tsp of bloom every feeding.

Like pcduck mentioned, your pH spread is too much. You are going to want to keep it between about 5.3 and 5.8 for hydro. How exactly are you growing? Will you be putting the cubes in dirt as they get larger or are you planning on some kind of hydro? Soil grows need a higher pH than hydro.

Tell us more about your grow--lights, ventilation, size of space, etc. With only 5 nodes, I don't think I would force these to flower.

Lights are 400w mh
Ventilation is a 8 inch inline fan pulling air out. As well as an 8 inch oscilating fan in the room.
Room size is 4x6x6
I would like to just keep them in rock wool and upgrade to the bigger blocks. Any recommendations for more accurate pH testing?

10GBgrowMI05 said:
Any recommendations for more accurate pH testing?

Many of our members use and have good results with this place.

www.eseasongear.com/

:ciao:

welcome to the passion...

:48:

pcduck said:
Many of our members use and have good results with this place.

www.eseasongear.com/

:yeahthat:

I buy all my meters from eseasongear.com. Great prices great service.

Welcome to MP...a ph meter is a must. If you are going the hydro route you will want a ppm meter as well.

Thank you all for the direction! I upped my feeding to 3 2 1 and already they are starting to get the deeper green I was looking for! I have also been keeping a much closer eye on my pH and its really making the difference, my leaves are looking much happier! I am anxious to see how many of these I will be able to use in the flowering process! Hope I haven't stressed these little buggers out too much. The seeds were bag seeds luckily I know the breeder and he did a nice job propagating the seeds. They were very mature and are now showing me the potential I was after! Once I figure out how to post pics I will post on this thread!

Thanks again!

Hopefully this works!

IMG_20121209_224618.jpg

Like I said, I was having some troubles and these are pics from today. I think they are starting to turn around for me!

Yeah it does not long in hydro to see the difference.

Looking good to me too. Maybe a little stretch but not bad:aok:

10GBgrowMI05 said:
Lights are 400w mh
Ventilation is a 8 inch inline fan pulling air out. As well as an 8 inch oscilating fan in the room.
Room size is 4x6x6
I would like to just keep them in rock wool and upgrade to the bigger blocks. Any recommendations for more accurate pH testing?

You are quite underlit. A 400W light is only good for about 9-10 sq ft, you have 24. You are either going to need substantially more light or a significantly smaller space.

Is your fan a duct booster fan or a centrifuge type fan.

I'm a little confused--were they bagseed or were they seeds someone made from males and females for seed stock?

That's what I was worried about! I don't have a lot of money right now but would possibly adding 2 90w LED's to the mix help my cause? I am skeptical but my friend has them and said I can use them if I want... I eventually want to get 1000w mph/ hps. The LED's worked well for him in veg.

Just moved them into their new home! Hopefully by tomorrow I get new lights in the room. I really want to put out some quality stuff... don't need much just want it to be really good! Also, I see a lot of different types of pH meters. Which one is going to best suit my needs? I am testing water so I am not sure which one will benefit me the most...

IMG_20121210_204841_817-1-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

10GBgrowMI05 said:
That's what I was worried about! I don't have a lot of money right now but would possibly adding 2 90w LED's to the mix help my cause? I am skeptical but my friend has them and said I can use them if I want... I eventually want to get 1000w mph/ hps. The LED's worked well for him in veg.

Make your space smaller. You do not need that much room and you are wasting quite a bit of light. Construct some temporary walls to put around the plants.

Just moved them into their new home! Hopefully by tomorrow I get new lights in the room. I really want to put out some quality stuff... don't need much just want it to be really good! Also, I see a lot of different types of pH meters. Which one is going to best suit my needs? I am testing water so I am not sure which one will benefit me the most...

Which one is going to best suit my needs? I am testing water so I am not sure which one will benefit me the most...

The one that you can most afford that tests water. I use a pen type for hydro.

Latest posts

Back