New idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subnaum

Reaction score
Ok so i was looking through things I have around the house, and I think I can get my setup goin a lil sooner than I thought. Im still goin to order my t5 lights, but in the mean time i think Im gonna split the box in half and use 4 cfls to grow mybe 4 lowryders. I was looking at the cfls at home depot and they have 150 watt ones in soft and bright, not sure the lumens though. I was reading that they might not fit a normal socket though? Im running 2 sockets with bulb splitters so i can run 4 lights total. If these dont fit, what other 4 shouold i go with. THey had 90s 75s basically all the different watters. The half box setup is about 1.5ftlong,22in wide, and 22 in high. thaanks again!!! Id just like to get the ball rollin, been waitin forever to get this going.:D

You have 2.75 ft2 this area will require 3--26w cfl's per ft2 equaling 9 total 26w cfl's. you will need constain air flow to keep the temp down.
Soft usually=2700k and 1700 lumens
Bright or day light= 6300k and 1700 lumens

I really need 9 bulbs? Theres no way to get the same amount of light using bigger cfls and using less bublbs?

are the bulbs 150W output or equivalent? that can make all the difference in the world for number you'll need....

Im pretty sure they said equiv. I forget what they are equiv too though. Im gonna try n find em online, hang on one sec.......

15300 is the amount of lumens for that space correct? So maybe 6 of these 55 Watt CFL - 250 W Equal - Warm White 2700K - Spring Lamp - Global Consumer Products 040
Click Here to Recycle
# Manufacturer: Global Consumer Products
# Manufacturer's Part #: 040
# Screw-In Compact Fluorescent
# 55W/ODS/27K
# Wattage: 55 Watt
# Incandescent Equivalent: 250 Watt
# Initial Lumens: 3,600
# Life Hours (Avg.): 10,000
# Color Rendering Index (CRI): 80+
# Warm White 2700K Click Here
# Dimensions: L 9.6 in. x W 3.1 in.
that would give me 18000 lumens total. More than I need. So bascially as long as my lumens add up I can use whatever wattage bulb? just a different number of them??? I m really tryin here guys, This is jus a lil bit confusing. Plus I already got into the private stock of sour diesal from the summer.Mmmmm Tasty.

O can full spectrum bulbs 5000k, be used for the whole grow?

Subnaum said:
that would give me 18000 lumens total. More than I need. So bascially as long as my lumens add up I can use whatever wattage bulb? just a different number of them??? I m really tryin here guys, This is jus a lil bit confusing. Plus I already got into the private stock of sour diesal from the summer.Mmmmm Tasty.

Hey Subnaum-

It's good you're figuring this out now, so many growers start growing and try to fix things along the way.

First of all, IMHO, particularly with lighting that lacks penetration (as cfl's do), you can't have enough.

If you only want to get bulbs once and not switch spectrums when you go to flower, you may want to look at a more balanced spectrum (as far as kelvin rating goes).

Also, be sure you're setting up a good reflector or you'll be wasting the majority of those lumens. Lumens are a measure of total lamp output- you need to direct them effectively at your plants.

Thank you BBFan! I plan on bending some tin from work into a hood, and then maybe wraping it with mylar so i dont waste my precious light as you said. So basically the more lumes the better.lol I finally understand it!!!

One more thing, if i get 3 of the 2700k and 3 of the 6300k bulbs, i can just run those the whole time? Or should I just get 6 for the start and 6 for flowering?

Subnaum said:
One more thing, if i get 3 of the 2700k and 3 of the 6300k bulbs, i can just run those the whole time? Or should I just get 6 for the start and 6 for flowering?

Hey Subnaum!

Sounds like a good plan for a DIY hood. Check out the DIY section and you'll be able to get some good pointers to help you build it more effectively.

As far as the light, IMHO I would go 2/4 for veg (2700k/6300k) for veg and 4/2 for flower if you can swing it. Otherwise, 3/3 will work fine throughout. I believe in a balanced spectrum, others will tell you all cool (6300k) for veg and all warm (2700k) for flower. I'm a big believer in cool (blue) light because I believe the warm (red) promotes more stretch- others believe in red all the way through (at least in HID).

So I'm sure others will offer different opinions. So look at them all, and decide what's going to work best for you. Experiment and learn. I'm still learning myself.

Good luck to you! I'm guessing you're going to be successful! Happy Growing! :cool:

Latest posts

Back