New Outdoor Garden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letssmokebud

Reaction score
Okay this will be my first time growing and im going to do it outdoors.I found a good area right near a creek in the woods behind my house,i spent a week clearing out most of the weeds and other stuff. It is right beside the creek and there is decent amounts of silt on the banks of it and fish live in this creek as well.Also i live out in missouri near st.louis and have some questions

1.Is this soil a good quality to grow in,or should i get some potting soil to mix in?
2.A friend told me to stop at walmart and pick up some worms and let them in the soil to help it as well,does it really work?
3.Should i mark off where each seed was planted?
4.Missouri weather is really weird,like it will be sunny and then just turn into a thunderstorm out of nowhere and have short but heavy downpour,is this bad for plants?
5.I have heard mixed reviews about Miracle-Gro being a good fertilizer and seen some pretty amazing plants come from miracle gro soil.

What up lsb, good to see another new grower. #3 stuck out to me, I think you should germinate your seeds before you put them in the ground. Its a little head start and you'll know how many your working with and where. I used miracle grow ferts my first grow with less than mediocre results. There are a lot of really smart & experienced people on here and I'm sure they will answer the rest. good luck.

I would use the worms on a hook and throw them in the creek. I think you will do more good that way. Try replacing the dirt in your holes with some good potting soil. Its hard for us to know if its good soil or not. Slim

letssmokebud said:
Okay this will be my first time growing and im going to do it outdoors.I found a good area right near a creek in the woods behind my house,i spent a week clearing out most of the weeds and other stuff. It is right beside the creek and there is decent amounts of silt on the banks of it and fish live in this creek as well.Also i live out in missouri near st.louis and have some questions

1.Is this soil a good quality to grow in,or should i get some potting soil to mix in?
2.A friend told me to stop at walmart and pick up some worms and let them in the soil to help it as well,does it really work?
3.Should i mark off where each seed was planted?
4.Missouri weather is really weird,like it will be sunny and then just turn into a thunderstorm out of nowhere and have short but heavy downpour,is this bad for plants?
5.I have heard mixed reviews about Miracle-Gro being a good fertilizer and seen some pretty amazing plants come from miracle gro soil.

Get away from the creek first of all. And if you are taking the risk of growing do it well. Dig ya some big holes about 3' deep and wide fill it with good soil and perilite and vermiculite (sp) and add a few water crystals and use a good organic fert and you should be good.

Are you sure that your grow area is secluded well? Be absolutely sure that the area cant be seen. I see no problem growing by the creek but I would use good quality potting soil. If you want to save some money, you could mix the potting soil with the dirt half and half. I dig holes 3 ft wide and 3f deep, at least. Fill that with good soil and put your baby in there. I always start my seeds in the plastic dixie cups and transplant them into the ground at about 2 weeks old. They have a good start at that point. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

It's pretty secluded but since everything is in bloom now it is heavily secluded. I picked up a big bag of miracle grow potting soil with moisture control and feeds for 3 months,as well as i got 2 40lb(net weight) bags of manure which im putting down in a little bit. Should I mix the manure,potting soil and the natural soil there? And should i mix in some of the silt from the creek bed?

Latest posts

Back