'New-pot in bloom' latest: 'My regret at planting those cannabis seeds'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
url: hMPp://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/new-pot-bloom-latest-my-regret-5695192

'New-pot in bloom' latest: 'My regret at planting those cannabis seeds'

The girlfriend of the guerrilla gardener who planted cannabis in council flower pots went “ballistic” when she realised what he had done.

Now the shop worker is desperate to tell the woman he loves: “I’m sorry!”

The story first broke on WalesOnline last Saturday, and has since proven to be one of the most popular stories in the WalesOnline history, earning 12,000 'likes' on Facebook.

“Most people who have seen it have said that is absolutely classic, really enjoyed watching it on the telly and all that, which was nice,” said the 40-something, who is keen to remain anonymous.

“But the fact I have upset the missus has somewhat taken the sheen off it.

“People were coming up to me at the football and I was saying, ‘yes, yes, yes, shut up about it’.

“It’s upset me more than it has cheered me.

“I’ve been going out with my girlfriend for about 18 months and there are things more important than my mates having a laugh.

“You could say I regret doing it because it has upset her. That is the down side of it for me.

“You’re not with someone if you don’t love them.”

His partner was worried the stunt might get her in trouble at work.

“She’s a very private person who is quite senior in the health service,” said the sports fan.

“She’s absolutely tamping. I told her about it when it came out in the paper because she didn’t know about it before.

“Well, I bought the paper on Sunday and I was laughing.”

His girlfriend asked what was so funny.

“When I told her she was very annoyed indeed which is why you cannot identify me,” he said.

“It could cost her her job which makes things extremely not funny.

“She just wants this to completely go away.

“The only reason I want to talk to you is to say this was just a prank.”

He insisted “this was not done with criminal intent.”

The music lover put seeds in the city centre flower pots – passed by thousands of motorists every day – after a friend gave them to him.

“I chucked them in and chucked a bit of water on them and then I heard the council was watering them so I didn’t bother them,” he said.

“I just left them and they kept on growing.

“I did it for a laugh and took some photos and showed my mates.”

He knew WalesOnline was onto the story last week but “was not expecting it go loopy”.

After we published it the world’s media picked up the story.

“They are the only ones I planted,” he said.

“I won’t be doing it again either. I’ll give that a f****** miss.

“This has freaked me out a bit.”

After we took our photos the illicit undergrowth vanished.

The sower insisted he was not responsible.

“I don’t know if the council did it or if some passing hoodlum had spotted them,” he said.

“They were obvious if you knew what you were looking for.”

By the time they would be ready to harvest they would have been six or seven feet high.

“There was no way that was going to happen,” the planter said. “I had no intention of waiting for them to bud in October. There was no way I was going to be wandering along in October and cutting off the tops of plants.”

Last week the Newport council claimed the cannabis “could be a hoax” and that our pictures appeared to show “mature plants added to a council planter”.

“They were entirely grown from seeds,” the cannabis cultivator said.

“It was no hoax, I didn’t plant some plastic ones. And you would be pretty crazy to drive around with a car full of cannabis plants to put them in. They would stink the place out and it would be very noticeable. It was just from seeds.”

The council planned to search it’s CCTV to find who was behind the plants and who took them.

“Unfortunately the planters in question were not covered by the cameras,” a spokeswoman said.

“The council therefore does not have any further information on the appearance and subsequent disappearance of the cannabis plants.”

And the planter urged people not to take drugs.

“People end up sitting around thinking it is the answer to their lives and spend all their time on PlayStation,” he said.

Latest posts

Back