New seedlings growing fast. Help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell us about your lighting--be REALLY specific--grow lights tells us nothing (and often bulbs labeled "grow lights" are really bad). What do they look like, how many lumens do they put out, what is the (actual, not equivalent) wattage, and the kelvin? I keep my lights just a couple of inches from the tops of my plants.

Right on HG. Dude, put the plants on some bricks and raise them up to within inches of the light if you can't lower the light down to the plant tops.
THAT'S why they are stretched. Don't fret over temps. MJ can stand 35 to 100f. You want 'cool' white (4100k) or 'daylight' (6500k) cfl's for growing, 'warm' white (2700 to 3000k) for flowering. After you get the hang of what they like and they mature a month or so you can leave them alone for up to a week, provided with enough water of course. Growing weed should be fun! Get them closer to plant tops like HG said.

Oldskool

Cool, thanks. I just put in 3 soft white fluorescent twisties. They are rated for 825 lumens and 13 watts per bulb. Going out to raise plants right now.

better?

100_2246.JPG

Can you get a fan oscillating in there? those stems are gonna get week fast otherwise.

Looks better I think- test with the back of your hand and see if it's not too hot. Regarding temperature, you should buy a 10-15 dollar digitial water/soil therometer (not those meat therometers) sold at walmart in the kitchen stuff section. These are extremely useful.

Marijunana growth slows after 85F soil temperature. At much higher temps, it can cook the roots.

Will do on the fan and thermo. I can drop the shelf down far enough to give 2 feet between floor and light tip. At what point should I be looking to replant and put in a bigger space? Thanks.

thetinman09 said:
Will do on the fan and thermo. I can drop the shelf down far enough to give 2 feet between floor and light tip. At what point should I be looking to replant and put in a bigger space? Thanks.

Like when they get 5 or 6 sets of true leaves.:D

Looks like you are a month or so from that.:hubba:

DD

What about light schedule at this stage? I've had them on 24/7 for awhile now. Should I change that or stick with it for awhile?

And water schedule?

Thanks.

water when they have dried out...you want a good wet/dry cycle to force your roots to grow. So you want it so that the top 3" or so have dried out. I go by weight of the pot usually, fill a pot (cup) of your soil dry, when the pots with your plants get close to that weight, it's time to water them again.

I keep my lights in veg 24/7

What light are you going to use to flower? Or are these going to be moved outdoors?

OK on the water.

The plan is to enclose a shelf in my building that is 3' tall and install all the toys for the next stage. Its probably 10' wide by 3' deep and 3' high. Vent to the outside but what do I do about the smell?

And what lights would your recommend for this setup?

thetinman09 said:
Cool, thanks. I just put in 3 soft white fluorescent twisties. They are rated for 825 lumens and 13 watts per bulb. Going out to raise plants right now.

That's great. For flowering those plants. Now remember to go to wallyworld and pick up 3 daylight cfl's at 26 watts each. That will translate into approx. 100 watts (give or take a mile) of output.
WARM white for flowering. COOL/DAYLIGHT for growth. Ok?
And yes, that's much better. Don't even think about transplanting those things until the stems have hardened off and support themselves nicely.
Also, fill the cups up with soil to the rim, it'll help support the seedlings.
They will tell you when it's time to transplant them!:)
Good luck.

thetinman09 said:
OK on the water.

The plan is to enclose a shelf in my building that is 3' tall and install all the toys for the next stage. Its probably 10' wide by 3' deep and 3' high. Vent to the outside but what do I do about the smell?

And what lights would your recommend for this setup?
Well, you're gonna be limited by height right off the bat. Under those restrictions I would recommend auto-flowering varieties and 4 foot fluoro fixtures end to end, unless you can afford an 8 footer ( better). The newer T5 bulbs AND fixtures are very nice for growing under those limitations. With that depth you could put 4 bulb fixtures in and really do well. As for the smell, buy yourself an ONA block online. About 8 bucks and works great. Covers my skunk sisters nicely!

Thanks skool. I could take out the shelf above it and make it about 4 feet tall. Would that be good and what changes?

thetinman09 said:

You are going to need WAY more light. What you have is good for a space about 12" x 6" or about the size of a shoe box. For vegging, you are going to want 3000 lumens per sq ft, for flowering, you are going to want 5000 lumens per sq ft. If you go with the 10' x 3' space (make it as tall as you possibly can), you are going to need 150,000 lumens for flowering. So, to adequately light that space with the CFLs you purchased, you would need 181 of them :eek:. I have 2 600W HPS in an area that is 3 x 6.5.

thetinman09 said:
Thanks skool. I could take out the shelf above it and make it about 4 feet tall. Would that be good and what changes?
can u take off more shelves and make even more space.. if not i would def agree and say look into autos or u can jus seriously stress ur plants and keep em low and bushy

Hey guys.

Three 26W twisty flouros sure brightened up the place.

I've attached individual pictures of the plants. Can you tell me what looks good or bad about them?

Thanks.

100_2267.JPG

100_2268.JPG

100_2269.JPG

100_2270.JPG

100_2271.JPG

first thing i noticed in pics1and 3 your growin them in couples in same bucket 2 of them look like theyr almost sticking together not good, i'd remove them if it's still possible if not possible you should wait till they show sex train them away from each other then kill the maleor weaker female if both were f's why'd ya plant em like that?

one per pot for sure, seperate or kill one.

they look good now, but you need more light to Veg and way more to flower for sure.

I think I accidentally dropped two seeds in the same bucket.

How do I get them out of bed without hurting my girls.

dman, I have three 26W twisties in this 30'' cabinet. Are you saying I need even more? It's tough as it is keeping the temp down.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back