New to growing and confused about a few things

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilili

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im about to grow my first plant and im confused about a few things. hope someone can clear it up for me.

I dont understand topping, cropping and super-cropping.

I know about LST and using a scrog net to increase surface area to the light.
And i know what topping is and how to do it, but i dont know how its meant to help. How will cutting the top off in between 2 nodes cause 2 new tops to grow? arent the 2 nodes just shoots of new leaves? how will that help 2 colas to grow. I mean, the 2 nodes were going to grow anyway.

what is cropping and super-cropping? is this when people bend the stems? what is the difference.

The two are leaf nodes, if you take down the center, it will produce two canes, instead of two leaf nodes. Topping, fimming, are all taking off the tops, at varying heights. I only tend to pinch( fiming) unless I have a monster that has to be contained then I top a foot or so.

I hope that helps. And Welcome to our home.

:welcome: to Marijuana Passion, lilili.

Three rules for the MP newb:

#1: READ

#2: READ

#3 err....:bong1:...forgot....:D:bolt:

:ciao::welcome: To the Only Place :ciao::bolt::bong:

Doing great so far.

Research, read, and ask questions....Oh and have fun:)

The main purpose of any of the training methods(top, fim, SC) is to increase the amount of branches that will reach for the sky and make more buds per plant. But also certain methods also slow down the upward growth of the plant so that the lower branches have time to get up as well as allow the plant more time to mature without growing into a tree first(for some fast growing plants).

Most indoor growers are working in limited space and would rather have plants that form lower bushes with many bud sites at the top of the canopy where they will get very fat, rather than have plants grow straight up into the ceiling and the lights.

There is a fundamental grow feature that is written into the DNA of most MJ, and that is to get the buds up high as possible so that there is a better chance to get pollinated and reproduce(all life is driven to both survive and to procreate). We take advantage of this drive to get the buds up high. By cutting or pinching the tops out of the growing branches, we cause the plant to react to the damage, which causes the plant to reroute the growth hormones to the next available sets of branches so that they can continue to reach high in the air for pollination. That causes more branches to reach up at the same time. :)

Latest posts

Back