New to Hydroponics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSki8950

Green is the new black
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I havent been back in a while but now that I have some free time I was thinking about trying to grow using hydroponic mean. I was looking for a smaller set up I could build myself. I ran across this Online. I dont know which type of hydro set up it is. I was wondering what you guys think and if it would work or not with MJ.. Thanks guys.

"hXXp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah3zrGRmx80&feature=related"]http://xxx.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah3zrGRmx80&feature=related

Dwc and I would not use the fertilizer that they are using

ok Thanks. Yea I figured that stuff would be really too strong.. what do u recommend ?

Lol, I think you have opened the proverbial can of worms with that question!
I have seen Canna, Fox Farms, GH, AN, Bio something or other etc etc.
My point is, most growers seem to have their own preference and in all honesty, I am coming to the conclusion it doesnt really matter which you use, it is the grower that matters more rather than the nutes. Understanding your plants needs and recognising what they are telling you seems to be more important than if the bottle says Advanced Nutrients or General Hydroponics.
But I am very much just an enthusiastic novice so dont take my word for it. I am sure someone more experienced will be along soon.
Peace
Woody

Thanks Woody. I am very much a novice when it comes to hydro myself. I also heard Fox farm nutes are very dirty for hydro set ups.

dwc and ebb and flo are easy for a newb to figure out- if you decide on a method...just ask for help...ive got alot of experience in water :)

Sorry, but the youtube video was too slow moving to listen to the whole thing.....

First, you are going to want 1 container for 1 plant. While I often put several plants in a single tote for early veg, I would never recommend putting numerous plants in a single tote (as in the video) for long. The roots can become tangled and it is hard to separate them without damage. I use 5 gal buckets and 3" or 6" net pots depending on the size of the plant. I have been growing in DWC buckets for many years. I like the GH Flora series of nutes. You will need a pH meter and pH up and/or down. A ppm meter is also recommended.

Thanks Hemp Goddess. Yea i have the PPM and PH meters. Im looking for a small DWC set up some maybe I can go with 2 5 gallon buckets. So I would need two pumps and two air stones? Recommendations for each would be helpful

hxxp://www.generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/waterfarm.html

Ok Thanks oldone. I could use that set up in the link above for a week or two right? Until I construct my 5 gallon set ups ?

I use GH3 part with no problems

Ok cool thanks... I saw someone online doing a DWC with a 2 gallon bucket and even a 1 gallon folgers coffee bin and he was having great success. He was using the smallest air pump and air stone wal mart sold and he said they were working fine for him.. He had a 1 gallon drink canaster that held his nutrient solution that he would top off whenever it needed more water/nutes. I might give it a shot. Im going to keep reading up on it though. I appreciate all the feedback so far everyone

You might keep in mind, They drink a lot.
Mine drink 2 gal a day in 5 gal buckets.
I have mine hooked to a rez.

Yea ok thanks.. So im leaning towards a 2 gallon min

Hey Bski, here is a website i go too, the guy doesnt grow smoke, but he grows alot of veggies and has alot of easy Do it yourself hydro information.

hxxp://hydroponicsfriend.blogspot.com/

I enjoy using 5 gallon buckets for a single plant so that I can get major buds.

Smaller the plant(rez) smaller the amount of buds.

Thanks pcduck... Hey so I have to use rockwool to start the plant out in? Then cover it with the hydroton? Im just very curious how to start a seedling out in the rockwool... Thanks for any advice.

you dont have to start in rockwool, but if you do use the 1x1 cubes. Watch out for overwatering because rockwool does not drain like other soil-less mediums.

when roots pop drop into ton and your on a roll...

just remember if using ton the ph will be several points higher in the rootzone than the solution itself....so if your reading 5.8 in the rez ...odds are its 6.1 in the ton. If using dwc when the roots hit the water you really dont have to worry about that. :)

i use rapid rooters for seeds and aero for the clones.....

Latest posts

Back