New Year New season New greenhouse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliieTea

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Been a long cold and expensive winter, but the good news, we were able to obtain a good number seeds from some pretty good bud.
Designed the new green house and got her built for under $100.00.

frame1_1.jpghouse_1_1.jpg

seedlings_1.jpg

berrybed_1.jpgmintbed_1.jpg

Looks good.;) Gotta love building a green house for $100, specially when one out of a box cost $300....:D

Well fellow growers, its been a week and a half since we dropped 23 babies into the ground inside the green house. All are doing very well, and then this morning I just happen to look at some pots we had planted that didnt produce, and low and behold what do I see, a 3 inch sprout coming up so now we have 24 in the ground. So far I'm seeing all girls. It's a bit early yet, so we will be sure in about another week. Not bad going from one to 24. EEEEEEEKKKKKKKK:hairpull:
The white stuff is Sevin..had some leaf biters, not good.
All in all the crop seems to be doing very well.
We have NOT spotted any males yet.

052808_1.jpgtopview528.jpgbiggirl.JPG
minties.JPG52808.jpg

Went back and counted again, not 24, but 28, last one being a sprout I spotted in one of the "what we thought" dead pots.
I do have a problem though, on some of the plants something is eating on the leaves. I spread Sevin all over, and sprayed with soapy water. It's just strange that whatever it is, its being selective.
Had a prego spider lay and hatched her eggs the other day.. UCK.. baby spiders everywhere.... all gone now.
If anyone has any input on what could be eating the leaves I would appreciate some input on how to get rid of it.
Thanks Everyone....
Happy Growing.

Impressive. I can't believe it cost so little, now I want one LOL. Good luck and the plants look good

Any thoughts on what could be chomping on these leaves? And what I can put on them? I've already used Sevin dust, soapy water, slug bait is next in line. I've not seen any spider mites or little flies. Could it be ants? I didnt have this problem last year and the girls are in just about the same locale as last year. I'm at a loss. Please some input would be might appreciative.
Thanks...

Hmm... Some people introduce Lady Bugs into the grow room. They are predators to some types of pests I believe.

Everything looks nice!

I don't know much about greenhouses but yours looks like the walls prevent any sunlight from getting inside. How does your garden recieve any light? Do you open the doors during the day?

I think it looks like catapilar chewing to me. I've been growing outdoor for 6 years now including this new summer were in :). I used to get the same thing on my leaf's and i soon found the cause, 3 looper's and 4 green catapilar's!. Also be aware of those pesky pure white butterflies, they lay the eggs of those catapilars. I now use this insect screen that protects your plants from any catapilars, white flies, butterflies and generally any insect while still allowing enough wind and light to penetrate through to the plants. You can find this Insect screen at greenhousemegastore.com , its rather cheap and does a dandy good job! you can also find help in using praying mantis eggs, you can buy them at your local nursury or garden center. There a great alternative to pestacides and they work really good by destroying those chewing insects, besides no one likes using chemicals on our plants anyhow right!!!!. Peace and love!!!!
Roken.

lil baby grasshoppers have been munching my plants this spring. the bites look the same from here. i say shoulda left the spiders an let em kill whats eating yer stash

Well we found the culprits to the chomping.. SLUGS! YUCK!!!
Slug bait around the base of the beds and wahlah.. no poison in the beds just around and no more slugs.
As for light, the plastic we used was designed for green house use and allows the maximum amount of light, although I do open the door and allow fresh air and ventilation in. We will be installing a fan for intake and exhaust. I did install a low wattage light (aquarium light) to assist on these cloudy days we have so often in the Pac NW. Thanks for the input everyone I do appreciate it. We had some cold temp damage to most of the plants last month, but for the most part only 4 are questionable. I will be posting new pics again soon so you all can see the improvement the change in temp did for our girls.

Looks good OliieTea....I make rings out of copper tubeing to put around my Dahlias to keep slugs away..Im sure it would work in your case too..Just my .02 KEEP M GREEN

IMG_0869.jpg
walked into green house this one was laying on the ground and doin her own thing. was way too weird. BUT shes looking all good this morning after tying her up a bit so she not so ON the ground.
IMG_0870.jpg
This is the back half of the Mint bed, all have grown atleast a foot in the past week.
IMG_0871.jpg
We call this one Danny's Girl.
IMG_0872.jpg
This is my favorite bed. The Berry bed. All these girls are well over the 3 ft mark. Aint they sweet?

This is awesome. Where did you get the framing again? Did you notice a problem at all with stretching in the seedlings? I need to build one of these. When the temperature is cold outside do you substitute any heat inside?

Everything we got to build the Green House.... Hardware store: McClendons (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace all should carry what you need)
1" PVC 20 Ft sections xs 6, 3 tri connectors at the top. The bed we already had in place, but modifications were made on the inside to create 4 individual beds. 6mil plastic over the top. We came up from the back and got half way and then from the stopping point, over the rest of the frame. Large staple gun and lots of staples to attach it to some spare wood lathe we had to make the stablizers cross wise. We found a zipper that you can tape to the plastic for entry. ( Still need to get one more of these to finish the entry.)
As for heat, well we almost paid a hefty price when we had a cold snap shortly after planting. Right now I have an Aquarium light hung up and a small fan on the inside to help with circulation. I will be adding a different fan system, one that does intake and outtake. I am hoping that the weather will hold out through Oct., but if not I will be adding a thermostat controlled heater so we can maintain atleast 70 the rest of the way til harvest. I am looking for mid October for that.
We did bracket it down to the existing bed so when the weather gets real windy, the whole thing just doesnt take off on me. My son in law actually put this one together for me, he did such an awesome job on it.
Good luck.

nice nice... ive wanted to build a greenhouse for awhile now... what did you use PVC for framing?

Well its been a couple weeks of really nice weather and I'm thinking I made a mistake with plant arrangment and size of the green house. All in all though I have a jungle. A very smelly jungle. and I'M LOVIN IT!!!!
Enjoy new pics... the yellow flowers you see are my tomatoes Cherry and regular.

IMG_0919.jpgIMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpgIMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpgIMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpgIMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

Latest posts

Back