NL x Big Bud - First grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks good so far keep em goin man:) hope the kiddos dont ruin your goody box!!!!

blownupnostril said:
looks good so far keep em goin man:) hope the kiddos dont ruin your goody box!!!!

LOL, yeah well I was able to move my operation into the outdoor shed which the kids never venture to, so I think its cool. Unless they start asking Mommie, "Why does daddie keep going out to the shed?".

But I have a door with a lock on the operation now so even if they poke around it they ain't gonna find anything, unless they decide to try and bust through with an axe.

16 days after sprouting - they keep growing, I guess eventually something good will come from this effort! (I hope!)

On another note, I just received my WA state Medical Mary license this week, so now this a legal grow (at least as far as the state is concerned). I guess the DEA can still come haul me off.

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

IMG_5732.jpg

Looking happy 'n healthy spudz'.. congrats on becoming a "legal" cultivar..:D, and just keep your numbers down, within the legal guidelines. DEA will have absolutely "0" interest in you.. ;)

ROFL exactly unless a white van mysteriously pulls up JK MAN good grow looking green cant wait to see what they look like after transplant

Okay I am starting to freak out a little!
Day 19 since sprouting. The plants have been showing some sign of brown spots on lower leaves started about a week ago, and that problem is getting worse it seems. Is it time to feed nutes? AListair on the Sick plants thread said it might be Nitrogen burn from the FF soil, and not to worry about it. I don't want to add nutes only to make the problem worse!

Here is a post in the "sick plants" forum that goes into more detail.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=408147#post408147 :eek:
---

attachment.php?attachmentid=98886&d=1233416132" target="_blank

attachment.php?attachmentid=98887&d=1233416132" target="_blank"

spuddzrmeandyou said:
Okay I am starting to freak out a little!
Day 19 since sprouting. The plants have been showing some sign of brown spots on lower leaves started about a week ago, and that problem is getting worse it seems. Is it time to feed nutes? AListair on the Sick plants thread said it might be Nitrogen burn from the FF soil, and not to worry about it. I don't want to add nutes only to make the problem worse!

Here is a post in the "sick plants" forum that goes into more detail.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=408147#post408147 :eek:
---

attachment.php?attachmentid=98886&d=1233416132" target="_blank

attachment.php?attachmentid=98887&d=1233416132" target="_blank"
brown spots? sounds like a ph problem all the way! what is your ph when you feed? I use foxfarm OF and ph my nutes to 6.5 before i feed, and you should flush once a month.

when you feed, do lke i do. Dont just give em enough water to hold them over when feeding. This will cause salt buildup and nutrient lockout, not to mention your soil ph will be out of range for proper uptake.

when you feed, saturate the pot untill you see a siignificant amount of runoff. example, 1 gallon of water per 4 gallon size pots. This way you are essentially giving them a miniflush everytime you feed, reducing salt buildup.

this should take care of your ph issues.

thanks jbonez
My soil ph is 6.8 according to my cheap meter. but I also realized today that I think they might be root bound. So I am planning transplanting them today into larger pots. And was planning on starting them on some weak nutes too.
Just crossing my fingers at this point!

I transplanted them to some 2 gal bags this past Sat night, and managed to finish up the grow space enough to condition the entire area. (3' x 4' x 8'). Bought some more CFLs and have them mounted to a piece of wood that can slide up and down dowels.

I had let the seedings go too long in the cups! :eek: and they were root bound, so not sure if that was a contributing factor to lower leaves to start getting brown spots and dying? My pH also was probably a little too high, like 6.8 (pushing 7 maybe) on my cheap meter so maybe that was causing something to be locked out from the plants (Pottasium?) Anyway, the plants seem to be doing better, at least the brown patched don't seem to be spreading anymore. I made sure I ph'ed the water to 6.5 when I soaked the 2 gal pots. Once the soil gets dry enough and the plants need watering I plan on starting them on some nutes.

IMG_5747.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

IMG_5749.JPG

Here we are at 28 days since sprouting. The plants seem to be doing okay to my uneducated eye. They really started growing faster this past week. I have to raise the lights gradually each day, sometimes an inch or more. I wrap a little duck tape around the poles supporting the CFLs each day to push the lights higher.

Leaf edges seem to be curling up a little, maybe from the low humidity in the room. Maybe I'll spring for humidifer.

Had a little trouble early on with lower leaves yellowing, (I think it was magnesium deficiency). On their last watering about 5 days ago or so I mixed in a 1/4 tspn epsom salts per gal, and that seems to have helped. I still have these little moths, at least I think they're moths. They don't seem to be bothering the plants so I am leaving em alone. I do want to buy some Neem oil to have on hand.

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5780.JPG

IMG_5781.jpg

Wow, looking fantastic over there. Awsome cfl set-up! Good strain too.

i like the fact that you seem to have researched and have a pretty good idea of what you are doing, get this first grow under your belt and the next one will go smoother, not to say tragedy cant strike at any minute (spider mites, power failure etc.) but your doing great!

man, your plants look great! BTW, you will know when you have a mag def, the outer edges of the leaf turn yellow, but the inside of the leaf remains green, usually from feeding with ro water or distilled water. I use a little calmag since i use distilled water, that way they get the supplements they need, although, in my first grow, my plants were mag def the whole time and i didnt even know it, still got a lot of weight in the end.

Its all about light, temp, humidity, nutes, ventilation and your ability to tend your garden, cfls are great, not for yield, but for not having to worry about the enormous amount of heat that is put off by hid's, looks like your doing a good job, and when they are rootbound, sure it stresses them, but no matter what, all you have to do is transplant, then watch them shoot up taking advantage of all that new real estate the roots have been looking for!

oh, and here is a pic of what a plant looks like with a magnesium deficiency. good luck and keep it up, btw, The attitude seedbank is the shiznizzle (did i say that right, lol) ive ordered several times, best seedbank imo. Your gonna be just fine, heres some mojo!

Magnesium-D.jpg

Here we are at 6 weeks since sprouting. I was finally able to pick a used 400W HID with HPS and a MH conv bulb at a good price locally, so this week the plants have been under the MH.

should I go ahead and flip them to flowering now or wait? My space aint huge so I have to keep that in mind.
The plants now range in height from about 14" to 20".

I really haven't done much with them the last few weeks - I just water them good when they are obviously drooping. Haven't tried topping, etc. Just too busy. I have only added nutes that one time and since it looked to me like I had some nute burn on one plant I haven't bothered with it since. Maybe these organic soils already have much of what the plants need? It never occured to me to make sure I rotated them around while veging, as a result I have 1 or 2 plants that are taller cuz they were closest to my little space heater on the floor. Cannabis apparently LOVES warm soil.

I want to start some clones, but I will have to work on my space to accommodate that. (create a separate box for them, while keeping the flowering area light tight.)

IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_5893.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

I have put the plants into flowering now for about a week. I am afraid I let the plants go too long in veg, these suckers are getting tall! I hope my space will be able to accommodate them... I should be okay as long as they don't get more than 6 ft tall... Probably should have been topping them as I went but I just haven't had the time to deal with it.

I think one of the plants is a female (can you tell within a week?), as it has these two really super thin little hairs coming out from the nodes.
Here is a snap from this morning, sorry, lousy quality I just had my cell phone camera. It gets interference fringes from the HPS for some reason.

These plants are tough, I have made plenty of mistakes but they just keep growing... I have let them get too dry at times and they really wilted, but man you water them and they come back strong.

photo1.jpg

spuddzrmeandyou said:
Here we are at 6 weeks since sprouting. I was finally able to pick a used 400W HID with HPS and a MH conv bulb at a good price locally, so this week the plants have been under the MH.

should I go ahead and flip them to flowering now or wait? My space aint huge so I have to keep that in mind.
The plants now range in height from about 14" to 20".

I really haven't done much with them the last few weeks - I just water them good when they are obviously drooping. Haven't tried topping, etc. Just too busy. I have only added nutes that one time and since it looked to me like I had some nute burn on one plant I haven't bothered with it since. Maybe these organic soils already have much of what the plants need? It never occured to me to make sure I rotated them around while veging, as a result I have 1 or 2 plants that are taller cuz they were closest to my little space heater on the floor. Cannabis apparently LOVES warm soil.

I want to start some clones, but I will have to work on my space to accommodate that. (create a separate box for them, while keeping the flowering area light tight.)
as for clones you can just setup a few regular CFL's and throw it in a closet away from your grow all you need is a tray with a dome some rapid rooter plugs or rockwool if you know how to work with it. you can even use peat pellets.
but the plants are looking great and yes i would personally put them into flower there gonna get huge those are some big plants im growing
NL#5 x Big Bud and when i hit 12/12 they took off. there huge plants you'll see there gonna get huge this strain has lots of stretch to it even under a 1k light keep up the good work:hubba:

I am not doing such a great job updating this often! Anyway, when I was able to sex the plants, turned out I had 4 males out of the 5! Oh well, the one female seems to be doing good, I repotted her into a larger pot and she has the grow room all to herself. I was able to get 3 clones going from her (while in veg stage) and they are growing fine, so I think I can at least keep this strain going. Here are some pix from yesterday... I figure I am abt 5 weeks since going to 12/12, so maybe another 4 weeks until harvest?

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

Latest posts

Back