nodes and sexing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dirtysox

How many nodes should be on a plant before trying to sex them? and will sexing them early from seed and then putting them back to veg increase the chance of hermaphodite?

HI,

It's more a matter of the plant's maturity and not the # of nodes that have developed on the plant. There are a couple of things to look for... The main indicator of sexual maturity is preflowers but another common trait of sexually mature mj plants are alternating nodes... instead of the nodes coming out of the main stem straight across from another node, the nodes start to grow from staggered points across from each other on the mainstem... this is called 'Alternating Nodes.' Once a plant starts doing this at 4-6 weeks you can watch for preflowers or you can put the plant in 12/12 to sex and/or flower it to harvest. imho if you flower a plant this soon you're limiting your harvest potential. Many growers will take a clone from their seedling plant, root it and then use the clone to sex the plant, keeping the 'mother' growing in veg to get it bigger for flowering or more clone production. Bouncing back and forth from 12/12 to long light will really delay things... You'll do better to either grow the plant until it's a bit bigger and take a clone as you put it into flower for a future mother or take a clone as soon as you can to use for sexing and then you can put the mother into flower when it's your desired size. You can put the sexing clone back into veg but it will take it several weeks to relearn veg growth... You would do better to take another clone while the mother's still in veg to use down the line for mother stock or a clone to flower...

I hope this helps....

Peace!:cool:

Pic one is parallel nodes.... Pic two alternating nodes...

ParallelNodes.jpg

altnodes1129.JPG

dirtyolsouth,

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the most important part of your post on alternating nodes -- which one is female and which one is male?

Thanks for the information. Now if you tell me which sex shows which pattern I can start getting a feeling for the sex earlier.

Real real easy. We just did this our first time a couple weeks ago. Its very visible on the top most part of the plant/ nodes. You WILL see lthem lil pretty hairs pop out, or you Will see them lil balls/nuts/pods growing. If you can't tell right of hand give it a day, you will be able to tell soon enough. And as we read on here before, if your that nervous, just seperate the one's that have you pondering, until you know. But if we can sex them, I'm sure that anyone can.

Good Luck n Good day to ya.

GreenFoxx's :D

DonJones said:
dirtyolsouth,

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the most important part of your post on alternating nodes -- which one is female and which one is male?

Thanks for the information. Now if you tell me which sex shows which pattern I can start getting a feeling for the sex earlier.

i believe the first one to be Male..and second female.....( but we wait for Dirty )

I ook at the parrallel nodes right b4 they alter...Theres like a Bump right under the shoot....this tells me Male...and I place in flower room to verify..so far Im right on..and IMO...the female shows first with a Hair...just my thaughts...take care and be safe..

it doesn't look like either of those pics are showing there sex.
good example of alternating nodes but I see nothing to identify sex from.

4u2sm0ke,

I think you are right. I went down to the grow room earlier and noticed that ALL of my known females have the alternating nodes like you said.

I wonder how mature the plants have ot be for that difference in nodes show up? Looking back, all of my clones have shown alternating nodes from the start, but since I haven't grown any seeds, I don't know about how soon it shows up that way.

Thanks for the info.

im confused here...you say ....
all of my clones have shown alternating nodes from the start, but since I haven't grown any seeds

of coarse the clones will show alternateing..and these should be female all ready:rofl: if ya took clones from a female..they will be female..no need to watch...from seed it takes between 4-6 weeks for nodes to Alternate...and IMO..sex is detirmed here..when nodes start alternateing take a clipping place in glass water and put in 12/12...you will know sex in a few days...no need to do the whole plant...hopw this helps Take care and be safe

yes but alternating nodes doesn't tell you if you have male or female.
It is just your indication that it is sexually mature

Latest posts

Back