non activated charcoal pellets for filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruufuus

novice ethnobotanist
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm back after another ling leaves of absence(anyone miss me?)I'm helping a Friend of mine set up his grow. He purchased a 50 lb bag of charcoal pellets(not activated charcoal) im wondering if we can use it nonetheless. I'm hoping you all can provide some insight I remember seeing a fit bucket filter made from this very stuff but have never made it. He is very concerned about odor control as he plans to do a very indica Dominant strain, and again it's his first go at it. Thanks in advance guys, you all have given me priceless advice in the past, and I know you all haven't become any less helpful :p

No.

Activated coco carbon in bulk is the best I have found for making your own filter.

you cant activate carbon in an oven properly if thats what the video says, but you can try.

use what you have, bake it and then grow some funk and get back to us. If it works for what you do use it up until its gone and then buy right. Jmo

For something that is this important, I go ahead and buy the top quality carbon filters. I tried the DIY method and it worked well enough for what it was, but with the high quality filters, there is no worry of it not working :)
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/phresh-filter-6in-x-24in-virgin-carbon-p-3423.html
I have 3 off these, one for each tent, and they are worth every penny :)

I also have a smaller one that I keep at home with a 4" blower for just general deodorizing of my house (my son and the dog). I used once after making dry kief hash. The whole house was seriously reeking, and within a couple hours when my wife came home, she didn't even know that I had done anything (and she hates the smell)

It take 1650 degrees F to activate carbon and 2100 Degrees F to clean it in a "oven" with ZERO oxygen in it.

Hushpuppy said:
For something that is this important, I go ahead and buy the top quality carbon filters. I tried the DIY method and it worked well enough for what it was, but with the high quality filters, there is no worry of it not working :)
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/phresh-filter-6in-x-24in-virgin-carbon-p-3423.html
I have 3 off these, one for each tent, and they are worth every penny :)

I also have a smaller one that I keep at home with a 4" blower for just general deodorizing of my house (my son and the dog). I used once after making dry kief hash. The whole house was seriously reeking, and within a couple hours when my wife came home, she didn't even know that I had done anything (and she hates the smell)
I'm just skeptical to purchase obvious products with anything but cash, not to mention I enjoy the education and money saved with diy teks.

You stand an infinitely better chance of breeching security while going to a "grow store" than ordering online. I have had easily $500 worth of seeds sent to my door and upwards of $3000 worth of supplies sent to my door, via UPS, FedEx, USPS and never had a single problem. The last seeds I bought and had delivered to my door were delivered about 2 months after I was busted (because I trusted someone to help me with my grow) and haven't seen anyone like LEO asking about them :)

ruufuus said:
I'm just skeptical to purchase obvious products with anything but cash, not to mention I enjoy the education and money saved with diy teks.

imo---there aint no diy when it comes to security and smell is an issue for any reason

activated charcoal and or filters are used for odor elimination and do not automatically go hand in hand with growing dank---bulk carbon pellets are also sold to peeps keeping aquariums---keeping air fresh in apartment buildings and offices all over the world---many more "legitimate" uses

buying activated charcoal and a proper size filter for your space can make or break your entire grow---one of those things---if you aint gonna do it right---than don't do it at all---in some cases---the single most important asset to a successful indoor grow---in fact your lights wont be on long if smell is an issue and you skimp on odor elimination

buying on line is a safe alternative if you do not have a local grow shop

good luck

Hey don't knock the diy's , if done properly they work fine .

robertr said:
Hey don't knock the diy's , if done properly they work fine .

just my opinion---aint knockin the diy friend---just trying to pass on sum experience to keep another grower safe :D

It's ok sunshine. That is why I put the " if done properly " in there. My diy scrubber is working great but it is a good diy.

Never get cheap on keeping safe. Lawyers cost a hell of allot more.

For most people a diy might not be the answer but for me it works fine . You just need a good design and have to know how to read instructions.

Latest posts

Back