NorCalHal's OG Kush grow..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalHal

Reaction score
NorCalHal's simple Hydro Method.

I have allways wanted to document a grow. Ever since the OverGrow.com daze. What is funny, is I started taking pics of my current grow from day one of 12/12. I kinda wanted to make a "pic series" of the plants from day one of 12/12 to harvest. I am currently in day 16 as of today. I do have pics since the start. Then a couple of readers here suggested I do a Grow Journal. Here it is.

Over the years, I have tried almost every method know to mankind.
DWC,Ebb & Flow(flood and drain),Run to Waste,NFT,Aeroponics,Soil,Using rockwool slabs,GH's hydrofarms. More I wish to forget....

For me, I kinda took the best from all and came up with my own. It is basically an Ebb and flow table that I top feed the plants with and the runoff drains back to the res. For all that said, it's a drip system.
I have gone thru many variations of this method also, leading to what I currently use. I don't think I will ever go back to any other method. Well, DWC is definatly my second favorite for sure.
DWC had the fastest and biggest growth I have seen. But in my situation, it was not feasable to set up a large scale DWC grow. I am sure that DWC fans can agree that, if something goes wrong in the system, it can go really wrong really quick. And DWC requires alot more love and time spent then I had.

I am very fortunate living in California. I am sure that most are familar with the laws for cultivation here as a Medicinal Grower. There is a nice clause in the law. It states that a Doctor can recommend that you use and grow cannibis.It also states that a Doctor can recommend the amount of plants you can have. Most Doctors do not do this. They just give you a recommendation. My doctor also gave me a specific amount. 70 plants. I know, that is HUGE!!! Personally, I run no more then 32-36. That gives me plenty for myself and enough to share. Alot of counties have passed laws that state what you can have also. Where I am at, I can have 120square feet of growing space. And up to 4 patients sharing a grow. That should cover the legalities for all the DEA reading this thread. lol.

I have a 10' x 10' foot room. I run 4 aircooled 1000w switchable lights and ballasts. They are all in 6" aircooled hoods. I have a 6" blower cooling the lights. It pulls air thru one side of the attic , thru the lights and exhausts to the other side next to a Attic Vent. The light cooling system is sealed. The "switchable" Ballasts allow me to run 2 Metal Halides when I veg. There is no faster growth then veggin' under a 1000 MH.

I have an 8" blower hook to a 8" carbonfilter for my exhaust. No stinky. I use a 5" passive air intake. Along with a 12,000 BTU AC. Outside temps hit 110 in the summer.

I have mylar around the walls also. Though I do beleive this makes NO differance. But then again, I am running 4000 watts!

The system I am going to share is vitually maint. free.After initail set up. it is basically changing your res water every 5-7 daze, depending on res size and plant uptake.
Lets talk parts. It is very cheap.

Here is a list of parts I use:
4x4 ebb & Flow Table.
400 gpm pump
Roll of 1/2" blue hydroponic hose.
Bag of 1/4" str8 or elbow connectors.
Roll of 1/4" drip tubing
Watering stakes
Res. Size is up to you.
Plastic pots. Size depends on your area, at a minimum 1 gallon.

For a medium, I use a half and half mix of absorbant and non-absrbant shreaded rockwool.
Ahh... Pictures are worth a thousand words....
Unfortunatly, I am currently in a grow and have no pics of it not set up. Lets see if I can show it anyway..

In the first pic, it shows an overall veiw of the system.

The second pics shows the 1/4" hose connectors

The third is just how the line is layed out in the tray.

The fourth is the drip line going to the feed spike attached to the plant.

The fifth pic shows the 1/2" hose and the 1/4" hole punch I use to create the hole for the drip tube connectors.

The last pic or two is the garden from top veiw. There are 34 OG Kush girls and 2 Grandaddy Purp. (gotta have a little purp around!) I have Moms of these strains. These were all cuttings from these. From the time they are rooted, it takes me about 3-4 weeks of veg time to get to the size I want to go into flower. With this particular strain, about 18"-24".

So, from the pics, I am sure you can get the idea of how this works.
Pump comes on, charges the 1/2" main feed hose. The nuits flow to each of the 1/4" individual plant feed lines going to each plant site.
The excess drains out of the pots and back to the res.
Simple. But very effective.

I am very fortunate and I have the room for 4x4 tables. This method can be applied to most rooms. You can easily make a custom tray from wood and pond liner to any size. Your res can be a bucket to a kiddie pool.
You can run as many, or less plants. Just poke as many holes you need into the 1/2" to what you want.You might have to find a smaller, or bigger pump, depending on what you do. This is very customizable. I fully understand that most of the readers here do not have the money,time,or more critical, the space to do a set-up like this. But as I stated, this can be customized to any situation.

I know I am missing little things, so please feel free to ask any questions. There is a whole nother conversation about Veggin' and Mothers.
Any posiitve or negitive feedback is welcomed!

IMG_1132 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1129 (Large).JPG

IMG_1131 (Large).JPG

IMG_1130 (Large).JPG

IMG_1134 (Large).JPG

IMG_1133 (Large).JPG

These girls are drinking water like mad. 40 daze to go......

howdy norcal. i like you setup and may be converting my setup, crrently 2x4 E&F, cubes on slabs. was there something you didnt like about RW slabs? im wondering cause ive always used them with no complaints(except cant move plants) but im always lookin for an excuse to improve things. thanks for all the info

I used slabs for a while, but I like the pots alot better. By using the pots, it allows me to move the plants around the tray a bit. When I used slabs, I was stuck to where I placed them on the slab. I turn the plants every so often and spread them around as they get bigger. That is pretty much the only reason I don't use slabs anymore.

lyfr said:
howdy norcal. i like you setup and may be converting my setup, crrently 2x4 E&F, cubes on slabs. was there something you didnt like about RW slabs? im wondering cause ive always used them with no complaints(except cant move plants) but im always lookin for an excuse to improve things. thanks for all the info

thats exactly why im considerin robbin your pot idea...pun intended!

The setup looks great my friend. Nice work so far. It definitely looks like you know what you're doing. My hats off to you. Great looking ladies so far. Keep us posted on your progress as I will be watching. Take care and be safe.

Thanks Smokey! I have had alot of failed crops to get to the point of where I am at. I will post up some new pics tomorrow.

I cant wait to see some updated pics. I will be watching. Take care and be safe my friend.

Looks sweet brotha, good to see another cali bro here, good luck with the grow!

nice set up dude, one question about your drip system, do you leave the pump running or have everything on a timer

brushybill said:
nice set up dude, one question about your drip system, do you leave the pump running or have everything on a timer

The pump will feed twice during the day only, for about 20 mins.

kick a$$ thread dude.it looks like you've got the whole process figured out.i was wondering how much them bags of rockwool you were telling me about are and if you know how many bags i'd need to get to fill 40 one gallon pots.i was wondering why you dont use the lica balls.i see alot of people using them and was debating on using them.thanks for all the help and i look forward to seeing that table full of fat buds =) take care,peace

Whats up mang. Looks like you have a serious jungle in the making and may i say the look great. :hubba: Here's some GREEN MOJO for the ladies. ;)

G_48911 said:
kick a$$ thread dude.it looks like you've got the whole process figured out.i was wondering how much them bags of rockwool you were telling me about are and if you know how many bags i'd need to get to fill 40 one gallon pots.i was wondering why you dont use the lica balls.i see alot of people using them and was debating on using them.thanks for all the help and i look forward to seeing that table full of fat buds =) take care,peace

I would say 1 bag would fill 40 1 gal. pots. If you are just going to get 1 bag, use absorbant rockwool.
I don't use the lica balls because they tend to dry out quick. Once the plants are estiblished, they will dry out a pot of soaked rockwool in about 24 hours.

hey hal,how long have you been using that carboload? if for a while,whats your harvest like as far as dry weight per plant?do you go to through the web to get that stuff or do you just get it from your hydroponic shop? (i found a website to get it from is why i ask)anyways lookin good man..your almost there.

Honestly, I just started using it a few months ago.Do I see a big differance in weight? Not really.
To me, it's not about adding a bunch of high, or low priced crap to help get weight. It is all about keeping the Plant happy, and more specifically, the ROOTS happy. If your root system is happy, everything else will follow.

I use GH 3 part. I really can't tell you the exact formula, because each strain is different. I really just look at the girls and decide right there how much to add to the water. I know, it sounds crazy. But I am really good at reading my plants. What I shoot for is a slight leaf tip burn. That tells me I am at max for my nutrient mix. But beleive me, I allways shoot pretty low.
If I was to recommend a nuit mix, I would say GH, and follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. Use the low end of there recommendations and all will be well.

As far as weight per plant, I would say about 3-4 oz per plant dried weight. I usually average around 6-7 lbs in this room.

The biggest I have done here is a whopping 9 lbs with the 4 1000w lites. That was a total of 36 girls. And that was using only GH 3part, no additives or anything. That should say it all.

Latest posts

Back