Nutrient recommendations-chime in with your favorites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tastyness

Reaction score
I've got a trip to the grow store planned out and am looking for some advice on nutrients. Currently vegging but flipping the lights this week.
I'm growing in soil with some worm castings, perlite, vermiculite and coco.
Plants are mostly photos / indica predominant. And two fun little autos. I've read the great stickies on the subject but most of the products aren't available where I am.

I started with some guano based stuff- but it wasn't getting the job done. The grow formula is 10-10-0 and the bloom is 1-9-1. Have been feeding the two autos with the bloom for now.
Local garden center had all purpose one that is (NPK analysis: 6.2:3:10) and that is what I've been using for the last two feedings for the girls in veg.

Lot's of folks seem to love the GH Flora Nova Grow 2 7-4-10 and I can get that, but growing is almost over for this round.
I read mixed reviews about GH Flora Nova Bloom- @ 4-8-7.
These are the all in one formulas- the 3 part isn't available here.

The more targeted "bud" products are listed at
Grow: N.P.K 28.5.30
Bloom: N.P.K 20.5.30 or super strength N.P.K 30.30.70

I did find a multipart that has the following:
Grow 1 (NPK 12-0-12) provides nitrate nitrogen, potassium, and calcium
Grow 2 (NPK 15-0-12) provides ammoniacal nitrogen, potassium and calcium.
Bloom 3 (NPK 6-12-17) is lower in nitrogen and has higher proportions of phosphorus and potassium.
Micro Base (NPK 30-10-19) contains nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and the micro nutrients you will need in your recipes.

And last choice is known as CS17 from Botanicare in the US. They seem to have both a hydro and a soil type. I think the stuff I can get is the hydro one, so not sure how that will go in soil.
CNS17 Hydroponics Grow Formula 3-2-4
CNS17 Hydroponics Bloom Formula 2-2-5
CNS17 Coco and Soil Grow Formula 3-1-2
CNS17 Coco and Soil Bloom Formula 2-2-3

I know that the P-K need to be higher in blooming- but how much? And what ratios does our wonderful plant like best?
How important is it to use nutrients from the same line?
What other advice would you share with a newbie so that I don't end up with a shelf full of stuff I don't need?

Thx as always

I bloom I use Fox Farms: Big BLoom and Tiger Bloom (mixed with 1T molasses/feeding after 2nd week bloom)

In grow I use: maxicrop

soil = FFOceanForest

probably not what you're looking for but it produces top shelf stick icky with the least amount of problems/energy.

:peace: n' good luck tastyness

7ge-
Thanks for stopping by.
I have seen some really good looking seaweed/fulvic acid fertilizer that looks like the plants would love it. Just not sure how that mixes in with the rest of what I'm planning.

Tiger Bloom® Liquid Plant Food (2-8-4)
Big Bloom™ Liquid Plant Food (0.01-0.3-0.7)

Maxicrop- do you use original NPK fertiliser: 5-2-5 From Seaweed

original and only in grow, the girls love it makes them develope a strong rootbase which in turns helps grow strong superior cannabis.

oh I forgot, I use Great White myco's sprinkled on the rootball when I pot up...

Here is the best way IMO to use the Flora Nova nutes The Lucas Formula
hMPp://lucasformula.com/

Grow: FoxFarm Grow Big
Bloom: FoxFarm Big Bloom + FoxFarm Tiger Bloom

The Big Bloom gets pricey (and heavy to ship) because you have to use so much of it compared to the Grow Big. I use about 1 gallon of Grow for maybe 7-10 gallons of Bloom.

ozzy- thanks for the link. Got it tagged. Doesn't talk much about Flora Bloom- but good tips for the grow.
Maybe I should try to get a distributorship for the Fox Farm- sounds really popular.

I have been using Advanced Nutrients' "Jungle Juice 3part" for a couple grows now and I am really impressed with it.It has had really good results without having to add anything extra (except in my case being in coco/hydro I have to add cal/mag solution to it because of the nature of coco to lock up magnesium) during the bloom phase. I know a lot of peeps here don't like AN because of all the different additives that they push for their other nute lines, but I can't say enough good about the Jungle juice. The only downside to it is that I don't know how well it would do in a soil-based setup. I would think it would work well in soil if adjusted for use in that application (such as concentrating the feeding schedule to give more nutrients to the soil at each feeding). This information is probably of no use for you as I wouldn't suggest trying to adapt it to your setup. But maybe for future grows If you want to try something new from the start I think the JJ would adapt well that way. :)

Hushpuppy,
Thanks for all the great info. You are right - I do have a kind of unusual setup going anyway. My plants still don't seem to be getting enough magnesium- but I'm working on it. My longer term goal is organic growing- including my food. But that is a whole other story.

Do you use the coco as a soiless mix- and feed as if it was soil? Or are you doing hydro of some sort?

I'm hoping to use my bokashi bucket juice at some point - but it is super strong and I want to try it on some other plants before exposing my precious girls to that. I plan to head more organic as that is my preference but this time the real goal is simply some nice quality bud for me and my man. Been since March 1 since we've had any of this magical plant.

I did a version of MassCoco buckets before (that was my first run with coco) and I really liked it. That grow went south for several other reasons, but it was the first time I ever really produced any actual bud.

Living and learning- and since I'm a bit of a "plant" girl anyway- growing this one is really a passion. Hope to try outdoor in a year or two.

OK-:rant: over....

tastyness said:
ozzy- thanks for the link. Got it tagged. Doesn't talk much about Flora Bloom- but good tips for the grow.
Maybe I should try to get a distributorship for the Fox Farm- sounds really popular.

The Lucas formula is for the 3 part Flora series, not the Flora Nova series.

There is a part on the page about the Nova
Lucas Formula using General Hydroponics FloraNova series

This is probably the easiest (but not cheapest - see MaxiBloom above) feeding plan available. If you're using General Hydroponics' FloraNova Bloom 1-part system, simply add 8ml of FloraNova per gallon of water* and feed.

GH 3 part sir, if it is good enough for N.A.S.A., it should be good enough for us!

NorCalHal- thanks for chiming in. I know how popular the GH series is and would love to use it if I could get my hands on it. Maybe I'll check again how much the shipping is from US since everyone loves it so much.

Was going to order some salmon oil for my kitties today- 30.00 for product 38.50 to ship it! And of course probably duty and taxes when it arrives.

That's why I'm hoping to learn more about nutes and ratios so that I can locate a suitable alternative.

Hey Tasty; I use my coco in a hydro setup where I top feed and recirculate. It is very much a hybrid of systems that really works well for me and for my partner's grow. It sort of evolved from trying different things. I have heard of people using it as a soilless medium, and I suspect it would work well in that type of setup, but I wouldn't try to run it with organic as I think the two aren't real compatible chemically, even though coco is totally organic material. To me organic is its own animal and coco is a different animal, but I could be wrong as I have never tried it. :)

It may work out best for you to create your own soil by getting base material and composting local materials to feed it, since you are wanting to go organic anyway. :)

That's why I'm hoping to learn more about nutes and ratios so that I can locate a suitable alternative.

If you grew organically, nearly everything you need could be found right where you live. No high cost shipping, taxes,or duty fees.

Latest posts

Back