Nutrient solution color question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I use the GH 3 part nute formula plus a couple other additives in my DWC hydro setup. I, like many, have realized the GH 3 part feeding recommendations are too strong. I have basically cut them in half and my plants seem to love it. I change out my res once a week but I have been noticing something.

When I mix my nutes and place my plants in the res, the nutrient solution appears dark brown. A week later when I go to change the res if I add nothing during the week, the nutrient solution is completely clear when I go to change it. It is as if the plants have sucked up all the nutes out of the H2O.
So, does this mean my plants could handle an increase in nutes? I tend to be a wimp and err on the side of caution when mixing because I am too afraid to burn the plants, but the growth looks great. So I am wary to change it....what do you all think?

Hey NYC, I've noticed the same thing over the years. I use the Hard Water Micro and it has a very dark color to it as you know.

I don't know if it's a time action or a plant action.

If it's working, don't fix it, I agree.

I feed my plants the recomended full strength and do not have any probs. My solution does end up a bit light when i change.

I up my ppms very gradually until I get the slightest of nute burn and then back off a little. I never just follow the recommendations on the nutes. Different strains have different needs. For example Mandala strains are very efficient in their uptake of nutes and high ppms burn them--I keep them around 800-900. On the other hand, I have a sativa that likes her nutes at 1200+.

smoky anda bandit said:
I feed my plants the recommended full strength and do not have any probs. My solution does end up a bit light when i change.
Because of the way that GH describes their solution ratios, it's difficult to understand what you mean.

Do you mean you use exactly the same mix of the three parts, in the same amounts per/gallon on seedlings and all the way to full grown plants?

In vegging, that would be the 3-2-1 method suggested by GH where you put 15ml of Green, 10ml of brown and 5ml of red in each gallon.

You use this mix on tiny little seedlings?

smoky anda bandit said:
I feed my plants the recomended full strength and do not have any probs. My solution does end up a bit light when i change.
I went near.... Full strength with mine once and my ppms were 1600..... My plants did not like it at all. Must be your strain.

my ppm's are running about 650 now with all nutes, so from what you guys are saying I could probably up them a little. My water is roughly 70ppm out the tap.
Is it possible for plants to stretch from a lack of nutes? I'm noticing more stretch in my DWC plants than my soil plants (same strain) even though the lights are the same distance. I was expecting more vigorous growth from the DWC, but the node length is much greater as well which concerns me.

I got my feeding chart off of gh website, it has dosages for seedlings. So, yeah, when the plants are big enough to handle that much nutes thats what i give them: Veg 3-2-1 and bloom 1-2-3. They handle it fine, ive only done it with white widow so far ,but i have a strawberry diesel girl going into flower today, well see how she handles it.

smoky anda bandit said:
I got my feeding chart off of gh website, it has dosages for seedlings. So, yeah, when the plants are big enough to handle that much nutes that's what i give them: Veg 3-2-1 and bloom 1-2-3. They handle it fine, ive only done it with white widow so far ,but i have a strawberry diesel girl going into flower today, well see how she handles it.
I understand. You're doing the same thing all of us are. You're modifying the strength of your solution to the size of the plant.

You use full strength only when the plants are large enough to handle it.

I think that's what we all do. Our choices for strength at various stages of growth may be slightly different, but none of us give tiny plants the full strength 3-2-1 solution.

Thanks for clarifying. I wouldn't want t newbie to douse his/her plants with the full strength, (edit: to early) and then come back on this thread all pissed off because his/her plants are burnt to a crisp.

Latest posts

Back