Odds and ends

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmToTable

Reaction score
Posted this in my journal but maybe it belongs here? Doing an outdoor grow and also my first attempt at cloning/ keeping a mother.

Been thinking a lot about how I want to feed these baby's when I kick em out. I want to hit em with high test for the entirety of the grow, allowing for a good flush in the end. I feel like with the right feeding combined with the amount of sun they will have ( I think they will get 8-9hrs direct), and the hole size/soil quality..I could achieve half lb plants no problem (or more?)

How is the heavy harvest line from Advanced Nutes and, if anyone has used it and has time..can you talk a bit about your feeding strategy/ success?

I just bought dried blood for deer control, noticed a few signs of traffic when I was in thinning the canopy/ site the other day.

I currently run a 400 watt light in my tent with a cheapo hood, no exhaust or filter. I'm gonna use that for mother from here on out. Just ordered a 600w with cooled hood, and a fan/ filter combo. Gonna clone these and flower a few inside this summer as well.

Can a clone be a mother?? Maybe the thing to do is keep the best looking one or two when it comes time to put them out and keep them as mothers?

Thanks all.

Clones can be moms, If you mix 4 parts water to 1 part pepper sauce that works pretty well to deter deer... Best bet is to let the clones get big in the tent before putting them outside. The bigger they are the higher chance that the deer won't be able to damage the entire plant and that plant will be fine and survive through the season. Bugs like spidermites are more of a concern later down the road.

trillions of atoms said:
Clones can be moms, If you mix 4 parts water to 1 part pepper sauce that works pretty well to deter deer... Best bet is to let the clones get big in the tent before putting them outside. The bigger they are the higher chance that the deer won't be able to damage the entire plant and that plant will be fine and survive through the season. Bugs like spidermites are more of a concern later down the road.

Maybe ill add that to my efforts along with the dried blood. I think what ill do is clone a few of the seedlings before they go out, keep 2 moms and put 4 or 5 right into flower. The thought of keeping a mother excites me...I'd love to keep the 600 flowering all the time, year round.

Will a mother last long if she orginates as a sedling rather than a clone? Mothers can keep and produce clones for a while right? Not unreasonable to expect a year or two is it?

Thanks for the advice.

you can run a mom for years n years n years, there's clones from moms that have been floating around since the early 80s if not longer....

trillions of atoms said:
you can run a mom for years n years n years, there's clones from moms that have been floating around since the early 80s if not longer....

That's what I thought. My first ever outdoor grow was a Friezland mother my friend gave me that was 2 years old. I was impatient and pulled it early but man, it was HUGE. About a foot tall when I got it and he had taken clippings for two years. It exploded outside.

Thx. All sorts of mojo to ya.

Quick question-

Should I put my plants on 18/6 to prepare then to be kicked out? They are on 24hrs now and planning on putting them out in 3 weeks.

You can also take clones of clones and not keep mothers at all. I had a strain for about 5 years before I noticed any degradation.

I see no reason to take the lights to 18/6. The days will be increasing until the summer solstice. The plant will not start flowering until the days start decreasing in length.

Thanks THG. Going to take that advice and leave them on 24. They are looking Soooo good. Will update some photos in journal.

I've topped most of them, the ones I haven't I want to try to root the tops.
I've had zero luck doing this. I don't have a humidity dome..think Saran Wrap over a tuperware container will work? Then just keep it moist and warm?

In your opinion how important is it to make that final cut under water?

Thanks again.

I have better luck cloning cuts from the lower part of the plant. I always trim up the bottom and get rid of the small branches that won't do much. I also do not top, but fim instead. Fim is like a mini-topping where you just take about 1/2" of the growing tip rather than several inches of plant. I find that it is less of a shock to the plant and usually results in 4 tops.

I think a final cut under water is important as it is easy to get an embolism. And an air bubble will prevent the plant from taking up water. You do not need a humidity dome, just some thing that can keep the humidity in. I seldom use a humidity cover as they are so large and I only clone a few at a time. I just use tupperware containers with the lid not snapped on tight--that usually keeps enough humidity in. There are people that report great success without making cuts underwater and not using a humidity dome, but I am not one of them. I live in a really arid place and find I need a dome. I also like to use cloning gel.

I'm itchin to put my plants out... 10 day forecast looks good temp wise, feel like we are clear of a frost. There is one night it MAY go down to 35. Should that be a problem? They're hardy..6 weeks old or so. Shouldn't frost.

FarmToTable said:
I'm itchin to put my plants out... 10 day forecast looks good temp wise, feel like we are clear of a frost. There is one night it MAY go down to 35. Should that be a problem? They're hardy..6 weeks old or so. Shouldn't frost.

When the temps drop below about 60, the plants cease growing. I would try and wait until the nights are warmer with lows in the high 50s if possible.

The plastic sunday cups from mcdolnalds and the plastic cookie containers they sell cookies in from the grocery store deli cookies in make good cloning containers with domes for me......

also...... hair from your barber placed in womens nylons make good deer deturents.

The Hemp Goddess said:
When the temps drop below about 60, the plants cease growing. I would try and wait until the nights are warmer with lows in the high 50s if possible.

Thanks THG---looks like at least 10 more days until I'm at 50deg lows at night. If I heard you correctly...lower than 50 (as low as 35 possibly) wont kill the plants, just significantly slow overall growth. What if it happens to frost lightly..like 30deg?

I ask because I may stick one or two runts out just to make space.

Grower13 said:
The plastic sunday cups from mcdolnalds and the plastic cookie containers they sell cookies in from the grocery store deli cookies in make good cloning containers with domes for me......

also...... hair from your barber placed in womens nylons make good deer deturents.

Cool thanks! Going to attempt to clone tonight, will post pics in my journal.

Going to attempt to get some hair too, I'm so worried about deer!! Lots of them around here.

Latest posts

Back