Ok You guys told me to do this now help me iron out the kinks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

degenerative_disc

Hey Folks!

A couple days ago I had a thread called what should my expectations be? Or something to that effect.

Alot of people had advised me to add my 2 100w hps lights to my new 400w Mh lamp I just put into my new room.

WELL I DID IT AND LOOK AT THE ABOMINATION THAT I HAVE CREATED!!!

Now I have some kinks in it and I still have some tidying up to do with wires and such but I need some help.

When I fired this beast up I fliped the breaker but it seams to be running ok now. Please look at the pics I have provided. Will it be dangerous for me to run the 400w mh and the 2 100w hps lights all from the same outlet on a timer. I also have a space heater and a fan running off that outlet as well untill I can round some exstentions to other outlets.

How safe am I going to be here folks and what do you think of the masterpiece you guys made me make?

Looking forward to all your responses!!

Cheers!!!!

I know Art!!!!

I just strted thinking of how I could incorperate the 2 100w hps lights, started to work on it and waalaa this is what I got now!

I am a little worried about running them all from one outlet though I need someone with more electrical background to chim in here and put my mind at ease!

Cheers!!!!

There are lots of resident electricians around the place. I'm sure they'll be along, shortly :D.

:yeahthat:

:rolleyes: I hear that 'Close Encounters' music in my head when I look at those lights too, Art...:rofl::laugh:

Very Nice DD...:ciao:

I'm no electrician but that's only 600w total and a 15 amp circuit can safely handle 1440w (80% of 1800) so you're well within "tolerance" as the electricikle types like to say... ;) I don't know if you have some type of industrial ballast that maybe draws a spike of power when it turns on though. Check to make sure your timer is rated for 15 amps and you should be good if you dont trip the breaker. You may have a breaker that needs replacing if it keeps blowing...

How many times did you knock over the dolomite when you were mounting the ballasts? :bong2:

Rock ON DD...:cool:

Thanks Dirty!

So your saying once I get it cleaned up a little that I am safe to run all this from my to plug outlet?

2 100w hps lights and balasts
1 400w MH light and balast
1 ocilating fan
1 ceramic heater with thermostate control
all those spiral flos in the background
and a radio playing musid to my girls

All that from one outlet is safe?

Cheers!!!

Whoaaa!! man I would not plug all that in one outlet that's prob y the breaker popped. I'd put the lights in their own and put the fan, heater, and your lady's music on another separate outlet. just check all the wire caps and connections everyday to make sure they're secure and away from anything flammable for safety. Other than looking a little crazy should work man.

yea , i would put the heater seperate circuit from everything else , remove anything that gets hot from wood for instance remove those ballasts from the wood you have them mounted to and most important do a pull test on all your connections ,, example grab the wire nut in one hand and try to pull each wire out of the wire nut itself individually --- hopefully none of this gets wet or near water ... the silver wire which is actually called mc cable may pose a problem , being the sharp metal at the end may cut in to the wire if not done right --- it does look cool though i keep looking over my shoulder for an abduction , seeing nothing but spider webs .

oh yeah , make sure the power is off when you do the pull test ( yeowwwwwwwwww )

When I set up my 400 watt light, 200 plus cfm fan and small circulating fan from one outlet, I checked to be sure nothing else was on that circuit, determined how many amps each pulled and learned that I was pulling with that equipment, about 60% of the amps the circuit is rated for. I believe that is all I will put on that outlet, as there is some threshhold for the percentage of amps you want to pull, like not exceeding 70 or 80% or like.

Anyway, not an electrical expert, but that is how I determined if my wiring could safely hold the load.

Wow great setup, I'm jealous. On the bottom 2 pics is that a surge protector. I use one in my bed room with six outlets. I'm using 5 to run power to a tv, stereo,PS3,heater,and satellite receiver. I'm haven't had any blowouts and I'm pretty sure these would strain the circuit breaker more than some lights. if it's a multiple extension cord. replace it with a Surge protector, should be just fine then.

What is this mc cable you say could pose the problem?

Cheers!!!

Hi DD...

You'll be okay if you get the heater on another circuit but heaters pull lots of amps and I'm pretty sure that's what is blowing your breaker. You should plug your light in direct to an a timer on an outlet and if you need to split things you would do better and safer to use a more heavy duty splitter than the standard one yo'uve got there.

Peace!:cool:

Your heater could well be pulling twice the wattage of your lights and fans. Most of those little space heaters can pull 1500W on high. I also believe that if you put the heater on another circuit or on a timer so it runs only during lights off, you should be just fine.

not to repeat other posts but i believe the heater pulls alot of juice,
before i moved my set up my heater was flipping my breaker regularly.

It is not safe to run all of that off of the same circuit.

Either get the plants off the floor and just use the HID's to heat the room on the day cycle, or put the heater on another circuit by itself.

That thing i am sure prob pulls 1500 watts... I won't have em in my house, they make ceramics that use a 1/10 of the power and produce sufficient heat.

Sufficient heat during the lights on cycle should be created by the HID's and ballasts.

Turn off the heater on the day cycle, and turn it on at night, an hour after the lights go out.

Set it on a timer and have it go off 30 min before the lights come back on.

problem solved.

However, this does tell me that more than about 1500w on that circuit and it will prob blow.

Time to run a new circuit if you ever want bigger lights than what you have now, and trust me you prob will.

I will say this.. you got a balanced spectrum though!

Jeez... didn't read the thread.. just posted... sorry lol looks like it's already been said

degenerative_disc said:
What is this mc cable you say could pose the problem?

Cheers!!!

the silver metal wire that goes to that octagon box is mc cable , when one cuts that metal off to get to the wire it leaves it sharp and could cut in to the wire

attachment.php

is your ceramic heater the one that comes with built in fan?? that one is crazy dangerous when left unattended! if the fan dies the heater would burn! that was the cause for the fire in the swiss alps tunnel that killed 100+ skiers! they had it installed in the train cabin and it burned the whole thing inside the tunnel.

You all rock on this site!

I know have it split!

The 2 100w hps and the 400w MH and radio are running off outlet you see in pics and I have re routed the heater, cieling exhaust and off of a another outlet.
I check everything for heat and feel no heat coming from timers, cables or connections at this time.

Am I a safe unit at this stage?

Cheers!!!

DD, you are making a major error there. I see NO reflectors on any of those CFLs. You're wasting 70% of their lumens. Get some reflectors on there and watch the plants take notice. Illuminating the ceiling and walls is not the way to go. . .

:yeahthat:

I just read this to be true :D

"I'm not sure whether I was placed on earth as an agent of Cannabis or if I am just another advocate of justice. Marijuana though important, is just one of many issues." - Ed Rosenthal

Latest posts

Back