opinions needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kusher89

Reaction score
so ive been thinking about ditching the whole closet idea for a grow set up,and presuming a hollowed out dresser as a nice little area to grow 3-4 little ones. i will be using most likely 4 cfl lights,hopefully thats enough..i will be painting the inside of the dresser flat or brilliant white,probably using a bathroom light fixture on a timer with those lights, as ive been using 18/6. ive noticed that these (hopefully girls) are coming up relatively quick for being under a basic house lamp.. what am i seeing here? and one thing that confuses the hell out of me is how this is even possible with out massive amounts of light?.. i included 2 pics of what they look like rite this minute. hopefully you guys/girls could walk me in the rite direction and kind of lead me on from here.im not a pro grower..just a person sick of not having there own stash and wanted to truly appreciate the value of something YOU have grown and created.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

I built a box from an old shipping container. My recommendations. Use T5 floros instead and you need to vent the heat. If smell is an issue, you will need to add a carbon filter. On my box, I use a computer fan to vent and then added a carbon filter external to the box.

i simply do not have the money to invest into a crazy fancy lighting system...that is why i figured the cfl's would be more than exceptional for this grow.also* i do not pay my electricity bill,i reside with siblings and family..i feel as if for a first time grower that would be over kill. is it even possible to yield anything using what i plan on using? any guesstimates on what i should ball park produce per plant?

kusher89 said:
i simply do not have the money to invest into a crazy fancy lighting system...that is why i figured the cfl's would be more than exceptional for this grow.also* i do not pay my electricity bill,i reside with siblings and family..i feel as if for a first time grower that would be over kill. is it even possible to yield anything using what i plan on using? any guesstimates on what i should ball park produce per plant?

very hard to produce good medicine with cfl's......... the cfl's will grow plants...... IMHO you need at least a 400 watt HPS to produce medicine grade MJ....... I hope your family is cool with your grow........ good luck and happy growing.

:48:

kusher89 said:
Man ggo look at my grow journal. I'm using nothing but cfl's. The secret with cfl's. Is you hotta have them about 3" inches away from the top of your plant. Your plant is long and skinny because it is two far away from the light. You can bud with cfl but the buds won't be big. I swear bro you can grow fat plants with cfl's. At homedepot they got this 300 watt equivalant bulb for 16 dollars. It's 2700k. Wrong spectrum for vegetative grow but it still works like a champ. My seedlings I put them about 3" inches away from the light. I am broke living on little money but Iwould love to grow my own stash as well. What I do whenever I have money. I just go buy a extra cfl for my grow. Good luck bro and put that light closer
to your plant:hubba:

get a 250w setup......much better, cfls dont do ****! wont be worth it!

kusher89 said:
so ive been thinking about ditching the whole closet idea for a grow set up,and presuming a hollowed out dresser as a nice little area to grow 3-4 little ones. i will be using most likely 4 cfl lights,hopefully thats enough..i will be painting the inside of the dresser flat or brilliant white,probably using a bathroom light fixture on a timer with those lights, as ive been using 18/6. ive noticed that these (hopefully girls) are coming up relatively quick for being under a basic house lamp.. what am i seeing here? and one thing that confuses the hell out of me is how this is even possible with out massive amounts of light?.. i included 2 pics of what they look like rite this minute. hopefully you guys/girls could walk me in the rite direction and kind of lead me on from here.im not a pro grower..just a person sick of not having there own stash and wanted to truly appreciate the value of something YOU have grown and created.

How is it possible? Easy, plants will sprout under almost any light. There is a huge amount of difference between sprouting a couple of seeds and bringing a plant to harvest. And you have a whole lot of stretch going on--tall stems without much leaf growth--which really isn't growth. In fact if you do not do something soon, I see the stem just keep getting longer and then falling over.

You will never get 3-4 plants in a dresser. Cfls are the most expensive to run of all the lights we use and produce the least. You are going to have to have ventilation. Equivalent wattage on CFLs means nothing--you need to look at actual wattage, spectrum and lumens

If you are living in your parents home and trying to grow without their knowledge or consent....well, that is just bad mojo. You are putting their freedom and home at jeopardy just as you are yours.

Your pictures would be a lot easier to look at if you turned then correctly before posting them--I have a hard time with sideways pics.....

I agree 100 % with THG.....you can cheap out on some stuff but lighting is not one of those things.

I had this same argument (discussion) with THG when I first came in here -- she won! It took me a while, but I finally got some deceint lights -- and it made a world of difference. CFLs are cheap, and they will grow plants, but by the time you get enough of them to do the job you will have more heat and a bigger electric bill than if you would have saved up the money and bought good lighting in the first place. Having said that tho -- grow however you can my friend -- every crop is a learning experience -- have fun and Green Mojo to you bro.

Peace

I agree, to each there own. Even the ' on the cheap' grows count just as much as the tricked out grows. Everyoone starts somewhere, and there is defenitely a learning curve to deal with. Do it however you can, ppl will be here to help when you might want to do things 'better' than 'on the cheap'

I use a 400wattMH for veg and a 1kwhps for bloom. To really get anything back you'll need at least a 150hps (at the minimum) to bloom an lst'd plant.

The real problem with the "do it any way you can plan" is spending 5 months or so loving and caring and fretting and watching a plant to only have it yield a fraction of an ounce. Plants take the same space, love, and care whether you are growing with lights that will reap you something or lights that are going to give you almost nothing after that long. I would be broken hearted to only end up with a 1/4 oz or so when I could have harvested an ounce or 2 or 3 with lights that only cost $100-200. What does it ultimately cost when you buy everything you need for CFLs--bulbs, sockets, reflectors, splitters, cords? How many 42W CFLs does it take to equal a 150W HPS? About 5-1/2. Or a 400W HPS? Over 20.

A go on you tube. I've seen some nice plants grown under cfl's. Just because you buy expensive lights don't mean your gonna get killer bud. You have to develop a GOOOD grow style to get some good bud. Cfl is a good way to practice.

Only thing you did wrong with your plant is having them too far from your light. Transplant your plant into a bigger pot and BURY YOUR STEM TO ALMOST THE LEAVES. PUT LIGHT ABOUT 3" inches above your plant. Water no more than twice a week.

They are right you will have a small harvest using cfl's. But until you know how to maintain a plant The expensive lights are useless. The same stretching problem can occur with hps or mh if you have them to far away from your plants. Your plants don't look like that because you have cfl's. It's just a distance problem. Your plant is stretching to the light.

So what I'm suggesting. Practice your grow style then if you want to go deeper into growing develop a style research grow under cfl's to see how they grow. Then grow under a hps. See which one you like. You might wanna try LED LIGHTS WHO KNOWS. BUT ATLEAST YOU KNOW FOR YOURSELF WHAT A CFL WILL GROW AND WHAT IT WON'T GROW. LONG *** YOU HAVING FUN SO BE IT.

This is what one cfl will do. This is the first plant I got bud on. It had trichomes and everything. all I harvested was a eighth. Did I care nope. I learned how to bud a plant for under 10$. :hubba:

1325772038.jpg

Try buying clones. Clones you can harvest quicker than seeds. They are already mature.

greenphene said:
This is what one cfl will do. This is the first plant I got bud on. It had trichomes and everything. all I harvested was a eighth. Did I care nope. I learned how to bud a plant for under 10$. :hubba:

"It had trichomes and everything" - That quote may have to go into my signature...:holysheep: Of course it had trichomes... its a mj plant...? Its not gona grow teeth... :rolleyes:

How is waiting 2 months & risking jail time to grow an 1/8 of bud worth it?????

Id smoke that whole plant in 1 day before it was even dark outside...

No one has said that CFLs won't grow marijuana--it will. It is just that it is the most inefficient of all the lights we use--they use twice the electricity and produce the least. One can buy good lights and get a good harvest or one can use whatever they can find and end up with a fraction of an ounce. If you want to spend 5 months to get 1/8 oz, you can, however if you want to spend 5 months and get 4 or 5 ounces or more, step up to a HPS. It is everyone's choice. You do not need to "reinvent the wheel". We KNOW that CFLs cost substantially more to run and produce substantially less bud. One does not need to find that out for themselves. And while a HPS does not guarantee killer bud, you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You need to optimize everything in your space to get killer bud and this includes the correct lighting.

Do not believe all you see on You Tube. A whole lot of it is just bull.

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
"It had trichomes and everything" - That quote may have to go into my signature...:holysheep: Of course it had trichomes... its a mj plant...? Its not gona grow teeth... :rolleyes:

How is waiting 2 months & risking jail time to grow an 1/8 of bud worth it?????

I'm legal. I have medical issues

JustAnotherAntMarching said:

Now THAT is funny! ........and true for me also

BlueNose said:
Now THAT is funny! ........and true for me also
And yes I smoked it in one day. I wasnt trippen. Two months ain't nothing I'm retired. I have the rest of my life to grow my meds. :hubba: :hubba: Imight only got a eighth but I learned something and you can't put a value on that my friend.

Latest posts

Back