Opinions please..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURKEYNECK

Old School
Reaction score
Im about to try another ebb&flow run, and Ive been considering my options.. on my first try I put the hydroton directly into the tray and buried 4" cubes(pictures in my sig.) But man was it a MESS to clean up.. and I wasnt able to move the plants around..
..Ive seen people use standard pots full of hydroton..like 6" square..but is that really enough room for the roots? I plan to only veg the cuttings for a couple of weeks but I dont want to restrict root growth.. also, Would there be a problem with the pots being unstable during the flood cycle? I thought about building a lid and using net pots..but then I still wont be able to rotate the plants..

My tray is 2'x4'x7" Im using 400HPS... Any thoughts or Ideas?...

Turkey, I have seen folks use the bigger square net pots full of hysroton and place those on the table, then flood. They were able to move the plants as they wished. The pots were pretty big, prob 2 gallon I guess. You would have to flood fairly often to keep them wet, but it worked for them.

So whats a good ppm for the mother after I take the clones? Im using dwc for mothers and Im ganna need her to SLOW DOWN!!! at this rate i'll have 4' doner plants by the time her clone are done... anyone got any tips for turkey?

Just cut her down. I have cut mothers down to the first set of branches with no ill effects.

TURKEYNECK said:
So whats a good ppm for the mother after I take the clones? Im using dwc for mothers and Im ganna need her to SLOW DOWN!!! at this rate i'll have 4' doner plants by the time her clone are done... anyone got any tips for turkey?

a local mmj dispensary recommends feeding mothers 700ppm, their mothers are in 7 gallon pots with plain coco coir

greenfriend said:
a local mmj dispensary recommends feeding mothers 700ppm, their mothers are in 7 gallon pots with plain coco coir

That is gonna depend on how many cuts you wanna take in a given time..... I have seen plants go WILD on 700 PPM and that would mean tending to that plant every few days. Trimming and tieing, If you are only looking for a couple or few cuts a month, you can back them down to 200-300 PPM and maybe even less. Depending on strain.

Another thing I would recommend, Mother maintenance technique.... Most people say take your clones from the bottom of the plant and this is a good idea IF you are gonna rotate mothers in and out.... If you want to grow a true mother plant, maybe trim the bottom couple of branches but after that, you are gonna have to do some major training, you wanna spread that mother out as much as possible and then you are gonna cut from the top and sides, leaving at least one full node on the branch you cut to regen a shoot that you can harvest later.... Never cut a branch back to the main stalk, when you do that, you lose that growth spot forever.....

Bleh, there I go rambling again heh.

CasualGrower said:
That is gonna depend on how many cuts you wanna take in a given time..... I have seen plants go WILD on 700 PPM and that would mean tending to that plant every few days. Trimming and tieing, If you are only looking for a couple or few cuts a month, you can back them down to 200-300 PPM and maybe even less. Depending on strain.

Another thing I would recommend, Mother maintenance technique.... Most people say take your clones from the bottom of the plant and this is a good idea IF you are gonna rotate mothers in and out.... If you want to grow a true mother plant, maybe trim the bottom couple of branches but after that, you are gonna have to do some major training, you wanna spread that mother out as much as possible and then you are gonna cut from the top and sides, leaving at least one full node on the branch you cut to regen a shoot that you can harvest later.... Never cut a branch back to the main stalk, when you do that, you lose that growth spot forever.....

Bleh, there I go rambling again heh.

Oh yeah..she's a nice bush..Ive been lst'n since week two;) Ive been keeping it at about 500ppm and it's all nice and healthy now, I'll post pictures in a new journal very soon. Look out for the Gigabud:D

thanks fellas:D

CasualGrower said:

true, guess it depends on the size of the mother also. this particular dispensary sells mothers that are 4 ft tall and bushy, and i tend to clone lots, sometimes almost killed the mother by taking too many

I am so glad I ran across your post! I am curently trying my first indoor grow.I am using the ebb and flow method as well. I am using 8in. mesh pots with Hydrotron pellets, and they are too small. I had considdered filling the entire tray with Hydrotron pellets but wondered about the mess as well as the inability to move plants. I'm new to hydroponics but have been an indoor / outdoor gardener (tropical plants,annuals,perrenials,herbs,and vegetables) for 30 years. The best answer I've come up with is to try 4 31/2 gallon pots with a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite with GH 3part nutes. My grow is only 2x3x8 so any changes can be done with fairly little hassle. Good luck with your grow. I hope I can pick up some helpful insight from your experience.

Fill your Ebb & Flow trays with coco coir, or use the slabs.

Then fill the whole thing up. let it go crazy.

We got 5 pounds off a 4x8 with cindy 99 under 1 1000 and 2 600's.
Da'ts a'lotta dank. I have never to this day seen firsthand bigger, denser, insanely freakish looking indoor bud's.

We just filled the slabs with clones, one every 6" or so. Then actually used tubing to deliver food to each slab and drained using the table as we x'ed the bottom ends of the slabs.
Worked like a charm, great drainege but not too dry. Remained moist but not wet.

Plus, cleanup was a snap.

All this was accomplished in an apartment, in a 4x8 grow tent.
To this day, amazing things are STILL coming out of "The Chambers".

Latest posts

Back