Opinions Wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHODAT

Reaction score
My buddy blessed me with a few clones about 2wks. ago. Today he stopped by to see if they were still alive. He said that I was doing a fine job and the only thing he would change would be "to lift the lights a little higher". My plants show no sign of stress from heat or light, (the light 400MH is close about 6" from the top of plants and my temp. at the top of the canopy is 79F) so I'm confused on why would I lift up the lights. He said that if I lift up the lights my plants would reach for the lights (I thought this was called "stretching"). All most all of the knowledge I have of growing (which is very little) I've learned on this Forum. And from everything that I have learned it tells me that he doesnt know what he's talking about. Do anyone agree or disagree?

I'm new to the forum, but from the little i've learnt the aim is to get your plants in the "sweet spot" where they are getting an optimum temp combined with most amount of light for your buck...Obviously the height of the plant canopy, relates to the height of the light..

6" is really close, but if its not stressed and the canopy temp is 79, let er ride

WHODAT said:
My buddy blessed me with a few clones about 2wks. ago. Today he stopped by to see if they were still alive. He said that I was doing a fine job and the only thing he would change would be "to lift the lights a little higher". My plants show no sign of stress from heat or light, (the light 400MH is close about 6" from the top of plants and my temp. at the top of the canopy is 79F) so I'm confused on why would I lift up the lights. He said that if I lift up the lights my plants would reach for the lights (I thought this was called "stretching"). All most all of the knowledge I have of growing (which is very little) I've learned on this Forum. And from everything that I have learned it tells me that he doesnt know what he's talking about. Do anyone agree or disagree?

No your right..closer the better. they will do plenty stretch in flower. and stick to this forum. very helpful people here that wont miss guide you. read read read..oh and thanks your buddy for the clones. it wont be long befor he is asking you for some in return. Happy Growing

be good...if ya cant be good, then be good at it.

I just read something the other day, but I can't remember where that keeping aircooled reflectors so close was not a good idea. Something about just becuase you can set an a/c hood 8" above the canopy, that we shouldn't, that optimum distance was like 12 to 18" from the plant still. I'm thinking it was something Subcool wrote...but don't quote me on that. I know it was someone who is knowledgeable, because if it hadn't been I probably would have debated it with them....hmmm I wish I could remember more details!

I keep mine about 8-10" away...but whoever wrote that made me question what I'm doing. Although my way has worked in the past.

As long as your plants are not showing heat stress you should be fine.

the problem is the light intencety you can "bleach" the leaves but if they seam to like it leave it. my six hundreds stay bout 12inches away

Yo Ho WHODAT,

Saweeet that you got a cool bro like that. I guess I watch those that I have shared with to see how well they do. You can't help it. Your friend seems to be doing well by you.

So many voices here are very correct in advising you about the lighting. You want to use the light to it's fullest advantage, and waste non of it.

The ideal temps would be 76*-78* lights on, and 68*-72* lights off for Indicas, and Indica and Sativa blends.

The lights can be so strong that you can literally bleach out the leaves, or one might prefer to say that you just scorched the pudding outta your baby so bad that she likely will not recover. I keep my temp probes at three locations, At the tip top of my plant, half way down to the top of the container, and the floor temp. Gotta keep them roots happy too.

It all comes down to you being careful, and a big thanks goes out to all those who want to see you do well.
Please allow us the opportunity to follow along, and a few pics would go along ways in helping us to help you.

Good Luck and good growing friend.

smoke in peace
KK:cool:

Thanx, everyone for your time to read this thread. And an extra thanx for your input.

legalize_freedom said:
I just read something the other day, but I can't remember where that keeping aircooled reflectors so close was not a good idea. Something about just becuase you can set an a/c hood 8" above the canopy, that we shouldn't, that optimum distance was like 12 to 18" from the plant still. I'm thinking it was something Subcool wrote...but don't quote me on that. I know it was someone who is knowledgeable, because if it hadn't been I probably would have debated it with them....hmmm I wish I could remember more details!

I keep mine about 8-10" away...but whoever wrote that made me question what I'm doing. Although my way has worked in the past.

You are correct. It was subcool. He said that with the light too close the plants will fox tail.

i personally use the back of the hand method but i use my inner forearm as a temperature guide. i prefer the inner forearm cuz it is way more sensitive than the back of my hand from outside work for most of my life. i will put my forearm under the light at the top of the canopy and leave it there for a minute or so. if my arm is getting hot, so are the tops of the plants and i adjust the light accordingly. i also keep plenty of air moving between the light and the canopy with strong fans which keeps the temp. down a bit so the light can go down a bit :). good luck with your grow.

Aha. Interesting. Sunlight is supposed to be about 10K L/ft2. I've sometimes wondered what the limit is. I'm running about 12K L/ft2 on my young plants at the moment and they seem OK with it. More than OK actually!

closer the better as long as the plants are ok with it..
i think, IME, the bleaching occurs mainly in young plants and seedlings..
and like they say, A picture is worth a thousand words...
:watchplant:

ta2dguy said:
i personally use the back of the hand method but i use my inner forearm as a temperature guide. i prefer the inner forearm cuz it is way more sensitive than the back of my hand from outside work for most of my life. i will put my forearm under the light at the top of the canopy and leave it there for a minute or so. if my arm is getting hot, so are the tops of the plants and i adjust the light accordingly. i also keep plenty of air moving between the light and the canopy with strong fans which keeps the temp. down a bit so the light can go down a bit :). good luck with your grow.

its ok if your arm gets hot, just not burn,

probably just the wording but i thought i would chime in

AcesUp said:
You are correct. It was subcool. He said that with the light too close the plants will fox tail.

I have never found this to be the case. I keep my light as close as I can get it without burning the leaves and/or buds. I occasionally get a little light bleach.

Can someone please explain to me what is "foxtail"? I have looked all over the net and through stickies and searches on MP and have found nothing.

I keep my 1000w lights anywhere from 24-30in from the canopy (depending on the strain) with great results but i do have a 10in vortex blower cooling my 3 1000w 6in aircooled hoods. A foxtail is when your calyxs on cola deform an shoot up "smaller buds" on your cola that look like "little fingers" on your tops which look like a foxtail. Cant really describe in words any better then that. Hope i was of some assistance. Have fun and be safe. -BEEZY-

Latest posts

Back