Organic SoilS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugs4nuggs420

Ninja Grower
Reaction score
Just picked up a bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest organic soil mix from my local grow store. Is this a good soil to continually use, or are there some better choices I should consider???

hugs4nuggs420 said:
Just picked up a bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest organic soil mix from my local grow store. Is this a good soil to continually use, or are there some better choices I should consider???

"turnkey".. straight out of the bag, I've found none better.

Other then my own (which is time consuming/back breaking) mix, FoxFarms was the bomb for me to use. Goes perfect with their trio. Molasses seems to enhance the blooms as well with their soil.

p.s. I am not a FF salesman... :rofl:

Foxfarm is not available to me were i live so i have used Organic soil with slow release merical grow nutes in it for my grows and have done very well with it even though most would advise to stay away from mirical grow products I have done quite well with them.
I tried making my own soil blends but ended up killing everything i tried to grow. I dont have a green thumb when it comes to soil mixing I guess.

Chees!!!!

degenerative_disc said:
Foxfarm is not available to me were i live so i have used Organic soil with slow release merical grow nutes in it for my grows and have done very well with it even though most would advise to stay away from mirical grow products I have done quite well with them.
I tried making my own soil blends but ended up killing everything i tried to grow. I dont have a green thumb when it comes to soil mixing I guess.

Chees!!!!

that sux man. :(

I use FFOF also...it's a great soil...a bit pricey, but works great. You may want to be careful with using it with seedlings, I have found some strains don't thrive in it at first because the soil is too hot. I usually use the Light Warrior for seedlings and clones, and then transplant into a mix of FFOF (2 parts) to (1 part) FFLW.

When using this soil, there is no need to add any nutes (other than maybe cal-mag if your plants become deficient) untill the plant has used up what is stored in the soil. Usually around 3 or 4 weeks I start feeding bottled nutes.

hugs4nuggs420 said:

When your saying "continually use", do you want to recycle the soil your growing in?

jmansweed said:
When your saying "continually use", do you want to recycle the soil your growing in?

I'm a wordy bird like you, Jman--I was thinking that's what was asked.

I like roots soil which is organic.

I didn't even pick up on the continuosely word in there...lol...I don't re-use soil, other than once my MJ has been grown in it I grow vegies in it in the garden.

I did re-use once, when I was strapped for coin. I bought a box of the soluble Peace of Mind fertilizer for veggies, and mixed it in with the used soil, it worked okay, but I would much rather use fresh everytime.

I don't reuse soil or pots. But I grow all organic in FF and couldn't be happier. I have my own mix of 60% Ocean Forest, 10% Light Warrior (mainly near top for rooting), 25% Baccto Soil, and 5% Vermiculite/Perlite Mix. Fox Farms is from what most people will tell you, the best out there. It just feels like a good consistent soil when you run it through your hands.

HI,

Although it's pricey, FFOF is a great soil choice in your garden store. Many strains will grow very dank bud in FFOF with little nute feeding from the bottle. A couple of alternate soil products that I've had great results with are Roots Organics which is slightly less organically amended than FFOF and Bio Biz Light which is very light on additives and requires more feeding from nute bottles. FFOF is a fairly hot soil and you will probably wont need any bottled nute feedings until 3-4 weeks after transplanting in veg growth. When you do start feeding its a good idea to begin at half strength nutes and then watch for leaf burn and ramp up the dose from there if all is going well.

Happy Growing!:cool:

I've recently gone over from FF OF to Organicare Pure Earth--similar to OF but it has coco coir instead of peat. It's a different medium for sure, and I'm feeling my way through this first grow.

legalize_freedom said:
can I ask why you don't re-use your pots?

I take no chances. After each grow I clean everything and basically start from scratch again but keep the hardware the same. My local shop likes me and gives me free pots and stuff from time to time which makes it easy. I would just hate to see even one grow get ruined over something stupid so I take all the precautions I can

thanks...I just wash my pots out with dishsoap and water. Never had a problem, and don't really see what could go wrong with re-using a pot...but hey, to each their own. Grow on my man...whatever works for ya!

legalize_freedom said:
thanks...I just wash my pots out with dishsoap and water. Never had a problem, and don't really see what could go wrong with re-using a pot...but hey, to each their own. Grow on my man...whatever works for ya!

I don't even bother using soap...just water...hell I re-use my soil too ;) just takes a lil while but it gets re-used :) with some other goodies jumpin around in it as well ;) most times beneficial bactieria still floatin around on the sides...more to colonize the better :) add some spent pasturized horse manure and its jammin along :48:

Latest posts

Back