Outdoor soil prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmToTable

Reaction score
Just a quick question- I know the recommendation is to prep soil in outdoor gardens in the fall, but I failed to do so. Just hoping for some thoughts on spring prepping, favorite things to amend with etc. not going to be able to soil test..have access to a little bit of composted cow manure. Was thinking of just digging ad amending with that and peat...

25 fem. Seedlings are going to veg for about 6 weeks indoors before going out..thinking under 18/6. My hope is to root some clones before they go out and run those indoors. Have yet to clone succesfully and I'm tired of buying seeds. :icon_smile: I've completed 3 indoor grows but this will be my first OD.

Anyway..what else should I amend with? Or just that then feed apon transplanting? Thanks.

Growing 15 Barney's Farm Critical Kush and 10 Cali Connection 818 Headband.

so are you planning on amending the existing dirt at the location of the grow? if it was me. i would use large containers, and build a super soil.

I've got access to large containers and thought about that...I just don't want to have to water so much . How large are you talking...like 13-15 gal?

I was an outdoor grower for decades and will say from my experience...if you've got a spot of ground, some composted manure, and good seeds/seedlings your all set. Till/shovel in your manure to about 12", then plant and put some type of cage over them to deter deer and such. Top dress with manure every 4-5 weeks and the occasional compost tea, is all you need to get good plants.
The only advantage to planting in buckets is mobility.

Yeah I grow in container( 32 gallon garbage cans )..and in the ground...plants get way bigger in the ground...when I put some in the woods...I put those feeder spikes around the plant...realy suked packing water in...Now I just grow in my back yard:D....water in my pj's...or naked :hubba:

:48:

Yah...I don't want to pack water in. I'll water it heavy when I transplant and rely on rainfall after that. What are your preferences for additives designed to retain moisture? My compost will do that a bit i know...but perlite? Something else?

FarmToTable said:
Yah...I don't want to pack water in. I'll water it heavy when I transplant and rely on rainfall after that. What are your preferences for additives designed to retain moisture? My compost will do that a bit i know...but perlite? Something else?

Perlite doesn't hold water, vermiculite does.

I also do outdoor grows in the ground, I add composted cow manure and top dress as mentioned above. What I do for watering is I use a water absorbing crystals, this has worked well for me no nute burn or nute lockout. This is just my preference as I am not able to get to my grow site except for every couple weeks. Hope this helps.

4u2sm0ke said:
Yeah I grow in container( 32 gallon garbage cans )..and in the ground...plants get way bigger in the ground...when I put some in the woods...I put those feeder spikes around the plant...realy suked packing water in...Now I just grow in my back yard:D....water in my pj's...or naked :hubba:

:48:

OH BAh GAh,,not naked ya nasty you.

I wear my Robe ,,,OPEN,,I haves manners.:D

Latest posts

Back