Painterdudes Art Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gone2pot! said:
Stunning pieces. Your world class smithy instructors are sure to be extremely proud of you and your talent. I love the handle on the Dirk. It looks like it would fit perfectly into the palm and grip as if it were a part of it's owner. I love it!

This is part of it that can't be shared here. Any good tool has a "feel" and a "balance" that you can't appreciate from a picture. I spend as much time making them "feel" right as I do making them look nice.

Not to ignore your questions Painterdude but I wanted to share some other stuff...

These are some different pics of simple leatherwork. For those of you familliar with it it's purposefully NOT 3d carving. The technique imitates older techniques as these items were made for re-enactors.

tooling.jpg leather1-1.jpg leather2-1.jpg bag-2.jpg bag2-1.jpg

Col. Kif, what is the meaning behind the bird biting it's own leg? I love the celtic knot work! :yay:

It's just part of the interweaving stylistic form.

Here's some photo's of some very sturdy knives made from high carbon Rail Road Spikes. It doesn't have to be fancy or rare to still have style & appeal.

rrs1a-1.jpg
I have actually trademarked this design.... A SOLID skinner/utilty with a built in bottle opener!

rrs6a-1.jpg
This one was inspired by a famous movie...

rrs8a-1.jpg
A simple persian curve.

rrs4a-1.jpg
A classic bowie style.

rrs7a-1.jpg
A hammer textured drop point utility knife.

Haven't posted in this thread before, but I have made my living as an artist for, hmmm...7 years now, but in the past 2 years have had major life changes and NO STUDIO. I have to post because I am super excited to report I've moved and now have a studio again. Ahhhh, it is so very important to have a space, ya know? It's kinda cave-esque too and that makes me even happier.

Colonel, you have to stop blowing my mind. A 'railroad spike'? Amazing, simply amazing...

midnight_toker, welcome to the Art Club.....it's been awhile since I've met someone making a living producing art....tell us more

Did someone mention color?

04-dsc00991-fs-rt-tip-r08.jpg09-dsc00689-fs-blade-rt-tip-up-r08.jpg
12-dsc00697-fs-hilt-rt-tlt-r08.jpg01-dsc00977-fs-rt-full-r08.jpg

There's actually quite a story behind this one. The blade made of modern high carbon steel but treated in a hybrid japanese clay-coat heat treatment. The guard and pommel are made from material salvaged from a farming implement, over 200 years old. Its real wrought iron, silica stringers and all.
The handle is a combination of Water Buffalo horn, pure nickel spacers and gold flecked Lapis Lazuli.

As you can see there's the influence of many cultures and time periods in this but the real killer was after spending over 40 hours hand rubbing this piece to bring out the activity IN the steel done via the hybrid Japanese clay coat. It was rubbed with hot lemon juice after the grain of the steel was opened and I was rewarded with it refracting the tempering colors.

The blade literally shimmered like a rainbow in the sun. These pictures can only hint at it.

...here's some black and white and some color....

...Col...have you ever used amber with your knives? Thanks for the color, can't imagine working 40 hours.

...2Doggie....thanks

December-Man.jpg

Bald-Black-Dude.jpg

Guy-looking-very-cool.jpg

Guess-who-is-so-ugly-.jpg

Digital-Dude-No.-One.jpg

I make a living doing it only because I have a talent that's rare for artists- I am excellent at marketing.

I make my income from photography. It isn't my passion any more, it's part fetish, part ball and chain. I do portriats, damn good national award winning ones, but I won't post 'em for obvious reasons. I feel like an indentured slave to it.

BUT, I am forcing time in my life for art that is more soul feeding and I'm branching out into painting and mixed media. As soon as my studio is free from critters and is clean, I'll be working on a series of "family portraits" using photographs I have taken of the interesting people in my life, stencils, spray paint and old corrugated aluminum. The first is from a series of images I shot of my brother just before he began his career as a criminal drug addict complete with all the anger and lost potential. I'm working with spray paint and corrugated aluminum because it is part of my family history.

I have a couple shows lined up this year already for photo work, but I'm going to try to turn them into shows of my other work. People just don't know me for it yet.

midnight toker, I look forward to seeing some of your art, be it corigated or flat.

Painter, I really like the fourth pic, dont know why, maybe the darkness with the color, the attitude of the dude.

Col., amazing!

hi 'budski babe'....love it when you stop by the Art Club...the one you like is another of my crazy self portraits which have a slight resemblance to Pdude

so toker, where did you go to school? Or, are you self taught? Can we see some of your photography? and, sorry about your brother but looking forward to viewing some of your paintings of him, I bet there will be lots of emotion

In Just-

in Just- spring when the world is mud- luscious the little lame balloonman
whistles far and wee
and eddieandbill come running from marbles and piracies and it's spring
when the world is puddle-wonderful
the queer old balloonman whistles far and wee and bettyandisbel come dancing
from hop-scotch and jump-rope and
it's spring and the
goat-footed
balloonMan whistles far and weee.e. cummings

thanks, Dirty. A nice vision before bedtime.

I am self taught, sort of. I had jr. college level photo courses. I knew the basics. When I decided I wanted to do it as a career, I got down and dirty. It's such a technical art. Luckily I am a very linear person.

I will try to see what I can show that is anonymous. Almost everything I do involves people these days and I am trying to get away from that...I think.

My bro is good. He is livin' the life he knows and feels comfortable in. He just stole my grandmothers worthless lot of jewelry, but I still love him dearly, the scamp.

Smoked some of last year's White Widow and was watching the fire in the wood stove thru the glass door for about an hour or longer then tried to stand up and had no balance at all, started sweating profusely and felt like I was going to pass out.....when I tried to go upstairs I fell down twice but crawled my way up....then ended up in the bathroom for about an hour or so, sweating and very disorientated but eventually got my bearings and made it to the computer chair....very, very stoned and didn't like falling on my face and I think I actually fell asleep when I was resting on the stairs

Did this drawing, which took way too long, stayed up till after eight o'clock this morning.....my sleep cycle is all screwed up

March-Man-1200-pixels.jpg

Better be careful there P-dude, looks like you were so stoned that the drawing even got a contact high:laugh:

Painter, sounds like that White Widow should be used in smaller doses? Hope your sleep straightens out..... and all is well with you this morning.

HI tc......yeah, that scared me allot, don't really know what happened, but I was drinking a Gin and Tonic.....maybe it's the combo that knocked me for a loop....I'm going to take it easy for awhile....saw your pics over at the BHC....when did it snow?

Big,-bad-Oleh.jpg

hi pdude... that sounds like a scary story.
I'm with tc,, smaller amounts of the widow from now on. lol
glad to see your doing better 2day!

Latest posts

Back