PH issue in rez

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryguy2011

Reaction score
This is the 3rd day in a row that the ph in rez was low (5.5) I raised it to 6.1 2 days in a row. At a closer glance there are solids in the rez that should not be there. It is a drain to waste system,something is happening inside rez turning some nutes into solids somehow. Anyone have any ideas?

no idea on the solids...But the 5.5PH is spot on IMO..

How are you mixing you nutes? and what nutes are you using? Nutes should be mixed with water and then micro would be first to be mixed then what ever else second.

A pH of 5.5 is a bit low for hydro but not to bad. I usually set mine to 5.6 and let it slowly rise to 6.0 before changing out the rez or adjusting the pH

Drain to waste, there is only one common item floralicious plus. I changed nutes recently and its happened before.
I measure nutes out in individual parts then pour into rez with water, then ph solution, it seems like a nute lock out.

I think I see 2 problems BUT I may be wrong as I don't know the GenHydro line of nutes very well. First, that Floralicious looks like a nute suppliment to a regular nute line or going into organic soil, but for coco, a base nutrient should be used in conjunction with the Floralicious.

Second, it seems to be the nature of GH nutes that they should be mixed into water then allowed to sit and aerate for 24hrs before adjusting the PH, as the natural chemicals are buffering the solution. Since you are mixing up and PH adjusting right away before allowing it to sit, if the buffering is the issue then it is throwing you off at the start.

I would verify both of these with the manufacturer before changing anything though as I am only giving you an educated guess. :)

Rez temp 71-74 I use a base line currently pureblend pro. I just went and bought a new rez, I am almost certain that the problem is with the floralicious plus, and possibly a chemical reaction causing a ph lockout with one of the other products. I am currently going to stop using floralicious plus

I use to get snot balls in my rez and especially on my air stone. I found a tea on here that you can use (not sure where) that works real well. If you start using it after you get the snot balls it will help with the problem but does take some time to work. I start using it from the start and now I do not have this problem. I was told that is cynobacteria in the water supply or something like that.

Someone like Hush or 4U will know where the formula to make the tea is.

I don't think you are getting a lockout as much as you are getting nutrient precipitation. If you are using Botanicare's Pureblend Pro and you are mixing Floralicious with it in the same rez then there is too much of something between the 2 nutes that is binding together and precipitating out of the solution. I know that even in my stuff, if it isn't agitated well and is allowed to sit, I will get a small amount of precipitation as well from chemicals bunching together.

I would say talk to the manufacturer to see about nutrient compatibility but they may not tell you much. If you think the botanicare isn't giving them enough, Since you are using drain to waste, you could switch and do one feeding with the Pureblend one time then with the Floralicious the next time. The coco is good about holding nutes in the substrate so running them individually shouldn't cause any problems that I can see. :) Jman can probably tell you better than me on that though.

Latest posts

Back