ph pen cleaning methods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineharvest

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a red hanna ph pen and I'm just wondering what you all do for cleaning the probe. I noticed some kind of algea buildup on the probe the other day. I sprayed it off with warm water, wiped with it clean and put back in glass of plain water. Since then I calibrated with the 7 and 4 point solution and all is good. So id like to hear what different people use for liquid to store the ph meter in and any ways of cleaning.

You can use a mild dish soap and warm water and a tooth brush to get into the crevices for cleaning(don't use anything harsh or it can damage them. For storage solution, Blue Lab recommends using the 4.0 calibration fluid(Milwaukee also recommends using 4.0cal fluid for storage as well). Just put a small amount in the cap and change it out every couple weeks with fresh. :)

they have a storage solution..Algae accures when stored in water or nute solution..just my thaughts...I have the same Pen and I dont like the cap as a sorage and use a joint tube ....I put the pen in when Im not useing...top off as needed...hope this helps

Curious, you can't just wipe dry when done?

I think there's something I'm really missing.

Nooo, you don't want to wipe them dry. the PH pen has a special glass bulb that must stay wet once it is activated or else it will quickly get out of calibration and ruin it. Never let a PH pen get dry or it will kill it and you will have to buy a new one. Some of the nicer pens come with a special cap that has a cup in it that fits to the sensor so that you can keep storage solution in it to maintain the bulb. I keep 2 containers of fresh water on my work bench so that when I am checking all of my resevoirs, I can use one container to rinse off any contaminants from the pens before using and after using it. The other container is a small cup that I set the pen in while I am doing other stuff between tests. :)

Latest posts

Back