PH problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
I was told in another thread that this was most likely a ph problem. My question is, what is the best way to test the PH of the soil? I have a probe with 2 legs that measures light, water, or PH (you select what you measure by sliding a dial over). Ive read they need to be calibrated, but I have no idea how to do that, or even how to use it since it came with no instructions. Here are some pics of the girls leaves. They are in there 4th week of flower. I just started full nutes, working my way up from 1/4 strength. I use FloraSeries, black gold soil, 1000w HPS about 20" from the tops.

DSC00151.JPG

DSC00154.JPG

DSC00147.JPG

Hello Type S150 :)

First off your soil looks bone dry, it is shrinking away from the pot.

Is your soil pre nuted?

Is your soil tester one of these?

hxxp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3in1-pH-Tester-Moisture-Light-Meter-Soil-Plant-Flowers_W0QQitemZ170261018838QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170261018838&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Change the xx to tt

HippyInEngland said:
Hello Type S150 :)

First off your soil looks bone dry, it is shrinking away from the pot.

Is your soil pre nuted?

Is your soil tester one of these?

hxxp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3in1-pH-Tester-Moisture-Light-Meter-Soil-Plant-Flowers_W0QQitemZ170261018838QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170261018838&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Change the xx to tt

Yes, that is the exact one. I just started figuring out that Im not watering enough i think. I have been letting the soil register as dry, then going one more day before watering. We have 13 girls in 3gal buckets and Im only giving about 3gal of water total usually twice a week. Should I be insertting that tester all the way to the bottom of the pot when I am measuring dry/wet?

I just uped it and they drank almost 5gal this last time, and I plan on giving water about 3x a week. Could this be my bigggest problem? Is 5gal, 3x a week enough you think? We only vegged 2 weeks from clone and then flowered. Most were close to a foot tall, and now, 4 weeks into flower they are all about twice as big as they were when flower began.

As far as the soil here is a quote about it: "100% organic, this ideal container soil is rich in earthworm castings, Canadian sphagnum peat moss and pumice. It retains even moisture, is very aerated and is rich in micronutrients."

Im such a noob. Does this mean I shouldnt add nutes? Thanks for all the help.

Read this ....

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27943

P.s. To check your soil PH ... stand the pot on a plate or something, over water it, make sure some water comes out the bottom of the pot and is collected on the plate, let the pot stand for 24 hours on the plate with the 'run off' (just means the water that came out the bottom) then check the PH of the water on the plate, that tells you the PH your plants roots are living in ;)

In 3 gal pots the surface can be bone dry but the roots are still in wet soil, push the probe all the way to the bottom of the pot.

Your watering far too often, this is a very common mistake.

Do you know the N-P-K of your nutes?

HippyInEngland said:
In 3 gal pots the surface can be bone dry but the roots are still in wet soil, push the probe all the way to the bottom of the pot.

Your watering far too often, this is a very common mistake.

Do you know the N-P-K of your nutes?
Sorry, now Im getting a little confused. Your first post sounded like you thought I wasnt watering enough, but now are you saying Im giving to much water? Ive been giving about 3 gallons of water (total, not per plant) to 13 girls in 3 gallon post about twice a week. i push the probe all the way to the bottom and i dont add water for a day after it reads "dry". So that is too much? As far as the nutes go, I dont even know how to read the NPK, its FloraMicro, FloraGro, FloraBloom.

When I test the runoff, do i use the 2 pronged ph meter, or do I pour that water into my ph test kit?

I'm a bit confused here too. To me it sounds like you're not watering enough because you let it get bone dry and then go another day. Personally, I'd let it get almost dry, and then water again. If your plants get get dehydrated, you should notice the wilting.

I thought you were giving 3 gal each :eek:

:rofl:

You do need to get your PH checked to make sure its in tolerances :)

Type_S150 said:
When I test the runoff, do i use the 2 pronged ph meter, or do I pour that water into my ph test kit?

I do not trust the 2 prong things to measure PH, but do this ... measure the water PH before you water, then check the run off in the plate 24 hrs later, to see if it has changed.

HippyInEngland said:
I thought you were giving 3 gal each :eek:

:rofl:

You do need to get your PH checked to make sure its in tolerances :)
:D I had a feeling someone migh think I meant 3gallons per plant, lol. Should have been more clear. As far as checking the ph, how do i stop the water from evaporating? Whenever I do get some runoff it dissapears shortly. Should I take the girl out of the grow room, or If I soak it with enough water I wont have to worry about it evaporating?

Alistair Young said:
I'm a bit confused here too. To me it sounds like you're not watering enough because you let it get bone dry and then go another day. Personally, I'd let it get almost dry, and then water again. If your plants get get dehydrated, you should notice the wilting.
Yeah i have, thanks. What about teh color, and decaying of the leaves? Does lack of water cause yellowing spotting, or is that where the PH problem comes in?

Latest posts

Back