Plain water clones- How much roots are needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Autoflower

Auto Flower Lover
Reaction score
hey guys, doing my first cloning , growing my first photo period strain Jack the Ripper. I took a bunch of clones and now some got roots showing, sum about 1/2 inch long. How much roots are needed befor transplanting into some pro-mix cups? Can i plant them whenever roots pop and just make sure they stay well watered or is it best to wait?

peace

I used to transplant as soon as a root poked through the cube, poor success rate.
I now leave them until there are a bunch of roots at least half inch long and since doing this, I dont loose them any more.

Green mojo Dr. W

pretty much what woodydude said. I let em get a few "dread locks" of roots. when they first just start they aren't "established" yet IME.
With clones if in doubt wait.

Yeah the longer you wait and let them get some roots going the easy the transplant....if you take them too early you will have to dome them to keep them from wilting.

I will sometimes transplant even with no roots showing and they still make it.

nova564t said:
I will sometimes transplant even with no roots showing and they still make it.

without a dome? I found that if I keep them under a dome until they have about 4 or 5 roots sticking out good that when I transplant to soil they lose the dome to, most of the time without even wilting at all. But every dang time I get in a hurry and transplant them early I always have problems and it ends up taking longer to finally get them established. Set me back ten days when I would of been fine if I just would of waited 4 or 5 more days. It pays to wait! at least for me :)

I dont use a dome and I'm never in a hurry, I need some extra time to make space or find a home for them anyway, I have very limited space.

nova564t said:
I dont use a dome and I'm never in a hurry, I need some extra time to make space or find a home for them anyway, I have very limited space.

Really,, When I see them droop all the way over, the way they do with out a dome it just freaks me out too much! lol my friend swears that they will rise back up in a day or two, but I just rather not have the droops at all and just take the dome route. I am going to have to cut a real nice healthy top and just try it with no dome.;)

I have tried rooting clones without a dome and it did work, just not very quickly. However I am in Scotland and it was winter so it wasnt the best time to try it. If you are in a humid climate, I imagine they would root quite easily without a dome.
I would suggest if you can, take a batch of cuttings and try both ways at the same time, under the same light with the same treatment and see what the results are. My money is on the dome being faster.
Peace W

What are y'all using for a dome? I've had some Burmese clones going for three weeks, no dome, all still like fine but no sign of roots.

I use a propagator, cost me about £3.50 from a DIY store.
I have friends who use almost any clear plastic they can get hold of, that will fit on their clone container.
A favourite method is to get 2 plastic bottles, cut the bottom 4" off both and make a few slits about half inch long along the cut edge, cover one in duct tape and make a few holes in the bottom to act as a plant pot, the other sits on top acting as a humidity dome. The top one sliding into the slits on the bottom one.
W

Latest posts

Back